Help with hopper/minecart chest

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Pentagram

Help with hopper/minecart chest

Post by Pentagram »

I've got a large scale auto dung farm (i.e more than i will EVER need =P)(found 40+ wolves while making my home), got 30~ set up in a dung farm with the dung flowing along water fine.

I have a hopper at the end of the water stream, powered by an underwater waterwheel (out of sight =P ).
Underneath my hopper I have a minecart with chest.

When this minecart is full, I want it to move along (using powered rails as it's uphill from here) then be destroyed to empty it later along the line (using Block Dispensers)

I can't get the minecart to move after it is full, how can I get this working? :S or is there a better way to get these items up (without piston elevator)
I have tried the uphill water flow, but the items get trapped on the half step/stairs.

Thanks =)
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Vongard

Re: Help with hopper/minecart chest

Post by Vongard »

In order for a powered rail to move a minecart it must have a block behind it. i will post a pic to better explain in a minute...

EDIT:
Spoiler
Show
Here you go. i hope this is what you were asking about

As you can see here the powered rail is powered but not moving because it does not know which way to go (left or right)

And as you can see here the cart has moved across the track because a block to the right of it has told it to travel the opposite way (left)

And now i am placing a second powered rail down... just for fun

Wee never ending loop =)
~Von
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Ahhh, I thought you meant like
Spoiler
Show
How can I get it to only be powered when the minecart chest is full, or almost?
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

the hopper sends out a signal when it is full, maybe something with that?
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

Pentagram wrote:Ahhh, I thought you meant like
Spoiler
Show
How can I get it to only be powered when the minecart chest is full, or almost?
You would ethier need a timer or use the hopper to power it (if you didnt know a full hopper gives out power)
though if you use the latter (which i do suggest) you will need a scond hopper to pickup any xs dung left behind while the minecart is out

~Von
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Have the hopper when full put out a signal into a monostable circuit ( look it up on the minecraft wiki It is quite simple ) And a RS-nor ( look up wiki) . the rs-nor should connect to the Gear box that Machinery powers the hopper and should turn it Off Allowing it to empty the hopper . After the monostable resets it should power the rail under the cart . the cart should then pass a Detector rail . the detector rail should reset the Rs-nor latch . If that makes any seance .
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

@Walker, I didn't know that! Thanks!
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

Have you solved this yet? if not i can put what he has said here:
Spoiler
Show
BigShinyToys wrote:Have the hopper when full put out a signal into a monostable circuit ( look it up on the minecraft wiki It is quite simple ) And a RS-nor ( look up wiki) . the rs-nor should connect to the Gear box that Machinery powers the hopper and should turn it Off Allowing it to empty the hopper . After the monostable resets it should power the rail under the cart . the cart should then pass a Detector rail . the detector rail should reset the Rs-nor latch . If that makes any seance .

into a picture for you

~Von
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

I will try to make this simple

1) have a redstone line going from the hopper to a gearbox powering the hopper

2)create a RS NOR latch somewhere on that line

3) invert this line after the nor latch

4)in-between the latch and the inverter have a line going from the one earlier to the booster track, making sure the signal is delayed

5) then have a detector rail to reset the nor latch

The desired effect will be when the hopper is almost full it will send a signal to the latch turning it into a continuos signal that reverts the inverter allowing the hopper to empty into the minecart which will be launched shortly after by the delayed signal which would then reset the nor latch
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Vongard wrote:Have you solved this yet? if not i can put what he has said here:
Spoiler
Show
BigShinyToys wrote:Have the hopper when full put out a signal into a monostable circuit ( look it up on the minecraft wiki It is quite simple ) And a RS-nor ( look up wiki) . the rs-nor should connect to the Gear box that Machinery powers the hopper and should turn it Off Allowing it to empty the hopper . After the monostable resets it should power the rail under the cart . the cart should then pass a Detector rail . the detector rail should reset the Rs-nor latch . If that makes any seance .

into a picture for you

~Von
I went to bed haha.

That would be helpful, thanks =)
I can get the minecart to move when the hopper is full, but the hopper then empties its contents onto the track (wasting a LOT of product)
Glox

Post by Glox »

Try to make this:

A hopper, a powered rail beneath the hopper, NO block next to that powered rail but instead a BD next to where that block would be.
Neither the hopper, powered rail or BD recieve mech/redstone, power by default.

Then arrange this:
hopper is full ->
1. (delayed) signal to gearbox to activate mech. power to hopper -> hopper dispenses it's contents into the minecart below
2. (delay the signal to give the hopper the time to empty)
3. signal to BD to place block, and to powered rail to power up
4. minecart rides away

When the hopper is full, it powers the powered rail beneath it, but the cart does not move because there is no solid block on either side of the rail.
The signal of the full hopper leads to a gearbox that activates mechanical power to the hopper. The signal should have a small delay, otherwise power is cut off as soon as the hopper is not full anymore. It should stay on long enough to empty the hopper.
Then, with the appropriate delay to empty the hopper, the signal should lead to a BD that then places a block next to the powered rail, and to that rail so it activates. This will send the minecart away.

Since the hopper here sorta functins like a monostable circuit, the BD will automatically suck in the block again and the powered rail will be powered down at the end, so the next cart can dock with no problems.
Fiddling around to get the correct delays is offc necessairy, but the theory should work i think.
Last edited by Glox on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Glox wrote:Try to make this:

A hopper, a powered rail beneath the hopper, NO block next to that powered rail but instead a BD next to where that block would be.
Neither the hopper, powered rail or BD recieve mech/redstone, power by default.

Then arrange this:
hopper is full ->
1. signal to gearbox to activate mech. power to hopper
2. hopper dispenses it's contents into the minecart below
3. signal to BD to place block
4. signal to powered rail to power up
5. minecart rides away

Since the hopper here sorta functins like a monostable circuit, the BD will automatically suck in the block again and the powered rail will be powered down at the end, so the next cart can dock with no problems.
Fiddling around to get the correct delays is offc necessairy, but the theory should work i think.
#1 + #2 done, but i need to work out wiring for #3, and #4
What block does the BD place? a powered rail? Then how does the minecart sit on it :S
I'll be back online later
Glox

Post by Glox »

Srry should have explained that better, my bad. I'll update my post to explain it better. If it's still not clear, feel free to ask.
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I should mention, in case anyone does attempt to fill a minecarft on a slope, that the hopper only works when the cart is directly underneath it, and flat.
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

Ok here we go. Below i will show you how to make the outgoing track and to save as much resources as possible without wasting too much time making the contraption.
Spoiler
Show
As you can see here the hopper is NOT full and thus not powered.
I blanked here and forgot to take un unpowered picture but imagine that redstone isnt powered =)
The redstone is connected straight to the hopper (the half invisible block on fire... Optifog and mine is fcked up.)
It then connects to the gearbox (the again half invisible thing. one side is mossy cobble) and the powered rail.
the powered rail is delayed so that the hopper will stop dispencing items before the cart leaves so you dont have your previous problem of the items falling on the ground.
Then directly above that i have a sticky piston (it MUST be a sticky piston connected to a block regular pistons allow items to fall through the cracks) which pushes a glass block ontop of the hopper, this makes the items in the water continue traveling over the block connected to the piston and into a second hoppen connected to a double chest to catch the extras

Your end result would make this happen

~ Hopper is not full power is off
~ Hopper fills and sends out an "on" signal
~ The "on" signal connects to the gearbox connected to the hopper a sticky piston connected to a block and the powered rail underneath the storage cart
~ almost instantaniously the gearbox gets powered and is forced to be shut off, at the same time the piston is powered and extends makingt he items stop going to that hopper and continue to the next
~with a small delay to allow the gearbox to turn off and the piston to stick out the rail is finally powered and sends the now full cart on its way.

If you need anymore help just say.

~Von
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

The only hard part us automating the bs to empty the minecart without it continuously setting it off
An see if battosay is willing to lend his knowledge
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.