[SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sockthing

Re: [SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

Post by Sockthing »

So me and gil are doing quite the trading on our streaming server and I came across these purple particles (see spoiler), which float up.
They dont appear every time we trade with them, acctually only at one point, but then multiple time after each other.
People are telling me these are just purple, because of my TP, but I do get the regular green floaty particles as well, when completing a trade with them.

Really hoping this has to do something with the trading and not just a thing of the TP I'm using, which would be really strange.
Also I tried getting a screenshot with default TP, but I couldnt reproduce those then.
Spoiler
Show
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Those are normal particle that appear in VMC whenever you make a successful trade. Nothing new to BTW though FC might've changed how they appear.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Those are normal particle that appear in VMC whenever you make a successful trade. Nothing new to BTW though FC might've changed how they appear.
As far as I have now experienced, Villagers have green particles around their head whenever you make a trade with them.
So those pink ones seem to indicate something special, I believe.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sockthing wrote: As far as I have now experienced, Villagers have green particles around their head whenever you make a trade with them.
So those pink ones seem to indicate something special, I believe.
No, it's stock. Vanilla villagers have both, although the purple particles are rather irregular in how they display.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Ah I see! Heh, I was hoping for some undiscovered mechanic :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sockthing wrote:Ah I see! Heh, I was hoping for some undiscovered mechanic :P
Honestly, the only reason I know they're vanilla is because as I was going through the code working on the new stuff I came across some "wtf is that?" in it that turned out to be sporadic purple particles :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

We finally reached a max level villager on stream (a regular one). I have to say, the whole thing is brilliant in the story it tells. I can't wait to see what the other max levels are like :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Are villagers more sensitive to nether gate leakage? I have a gate 50 meters away from a village and i had a witch show up in a house with villagers well after i erected walls. This was not a swamp village and there is not a swamp anywhere near it. It is a desert village. The nether gates in my main base are atleast 25 meters away from livestock and doesn't seem to cause this effect.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:-snip-
Might you have a possessed wolfie near the villager area? If you do, it's probably nothing to worry about.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Let's try to keep the spoiler threads on topic guys, otherwise we risk readers being spoilered on stuff they might not necessarily want to have spoiled.

To answer the question: no, nothing has changed about the possession mechanics in the latest release. If you want to discuss those further, feel free to resurrect the corresponding spoiler thread.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

The flour trades are a bit cheap. Most of them are like 5 or 6 pieces of flour, so the trade doesn't incentivize you to actually build a farm.

Also, one guy wanted 13 blood wood saplings, which threw me for a loop. I made 13 of em and was about to complain that this trade was way too expensive when I realized I only needed one, which can create more saplings :)

The spider resources might be a bit much. We have a mob farm and can't handle the spider eyes at all (16 spider eyes takes our mob farm quite a while to collect). Similar, the drops of venom sacs on jungle spiders are rare enough that collecting 10+ of them (by hand, most people don't have jungle mob traps pre-end) takes ages. I killed about 15 jungle spiders so far and haven't gotten a single venom sac, so a single trade of 13 venom sacs is going to take at least the killing of 200 jungle spiders.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I'm really interested in why these villagers, once maxed out, want all these high-end BTW items. They don't give you very many emeralds for them (2 emerald for a buddy block for example) so it's not really worthwhile to farm them for resources. Is there something more complex here, like some change after you've given them enough of the level max items?
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Is there a specific way to make the villagers level up? my current one (blacksmith) is either taking forever or he's not gaining xp from + trades. And so far, no ++ trades.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
ion

Post by ion »

there is a + sign near the trades that give villagers experience from trades. trade those first.
also higher villager levels needs more trades to go up
Last edited by ion on Sat May 24, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Mason11987 wrote:Snip
Well for the scrolls right?

It will be a while before I have a maxed out grinder in a jungle to see the drop difficulty. A complete build should be pretty quick(250 out lit all directions & huge grinder).

Big picture it is probably best to hunt down the priest for the eyes before anything as the scrolls are worthless before that?

I was chugging right along till I hit the brown wool :P
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

ion wrote:there is a + sign near the trades that give villagers experience from trades. trade those first.
also higher villager levels needs more trades to go up
I've tried both in survival and creative, and I've been getting the + sign, but there's only one trade option and the xp bar at the bottom doesn't fill. I'm gonna try a fresh install and the new update, hopefully one of those will change something.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
ion

Post by ion »

post some pics matty, may be a bug
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:The flour trades are a bit cheap. Most of them are like 5 or 6 pieces of flour, so the trade doesn't incentivize you to actually build a farm.

Also, one guy wanted 13 blood wood saplings, which threw me for a loop. I made 13 of em and was about to complain that this trade was way too expensive when I realized I only needed one, which can create more saplings :)

The spider resources might be a bit much. We have a mob farm and can't handle the spider eyes at all (16 spider eyes takes our mob farm quite a while to collect). Similar, the drops of venom sacs on jungle spiders are rare enough that collecting 10+ of them (by hand, most people don't have jungle mob traps pre-end) takes ages. I killed about 15 jungle spiders so far and haven't gotten a single venom sac, so a single trade of 13 venom sacs is going to take at least the killing of 200 jungle spiders.
Damn...not sure how I missed this post previously. This was the kind of balance feedback I was actually hoping to get before last night's release :)

Regardless, will take the above into account for further tweaking.

And yeah, on the Bloodwood Saplings, that's the thing: once you plant one, you effectively have an infinite supply. Just wanted to encourage the potential there of one getting out of control and spreading as the player attempts to collect sufficient saplings for the trades, instead of just crafting them all being a practical option.
matty79321 wrote: I've tried both in survival and creative
The trade mechanics are effectively disabled in creative, so that may be the source of your problems right there. Make sure you're actually doing this in survival before reporting any issues related to it.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

FlowerChild wrote:The trade mechanics are effectively disabled in creative, so that may be the source of your problems right there. Make sure you're actually doing this in survival before reporting any issues related to it.
Ok, I just loaded up an older end-game world with some villagers and it seems to work now.

EDIT: Played around with the villagers a bit, mainly the blacksmith so far, and HC trading is awesome. Keep up the great work FC! :)
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Does anyone know if attacking/killing villagers has any negative effect? They still release the "bad" particles when you attack them, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to do anything.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Butcher wants a Liver of the Beast, I guess it's time for a Beast farm!
ion

Post by ion »

playing around with villagers i got to the conclusion that it's not worth to level farmers more that 3 levels as by then they have more selling options that buying so the net gain of emeralds is too low for the amount of trading done. it seems that farmers are the best to trade at low tech levels. leveled some farmers and a butcher to max and i like trading with the blacksmith. librarian it seems is more like a high tech tier trader once you have all the automated farms and mob farms he is easy to supply.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

I love the new look of the max level priests! When I checked on the guy after the latest update I immediately freaked out, moved him away from everything else, and am now experimenting to see if he does what I was afraid he did. No results yet though...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote:I love the new look of the max level priests! When I checked on the guy after the latest update I immediately freaked out, moved him away from everything else, and am now experimenting to see if he does what I was afraid he did. No results yet though...
Hehe...thanks. It was a bit tricky to get him to still look menacing with that particular color scheme (not to mention it being tricky in the first place with the rather goofy looking villagers) which is why I put that off past the initial release. Finally got something I was happy with after experimenting with a lot of different options :)

BTW: If you could let me know what your thoughts/theories/worries are with regards to him, I'd be much obliged as it will let me know if I communicated what I wanted with him.
matty79321

Post by matty79321 »

I've played around with the blacksmith a lot since the update (and since I got the trading to work) and all I can say is wow. What I've found out about the villager mechanics seems to go quite deep, and I fear posting what's been discovered due to a possible (ban)hammer (bad blacksmith puns ftw! ...and that was really terrible). It really is quite elegant however, and really plays out well with the feeling of subtle progression throughout the mod.