[SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Equitis1024

Re: [SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

Post by Equitis1024 »

FlowerChild wrote:BTW: If you could let me know what your thoughts/theories/worries are with regards to him, I'd be much obliged as it will let me know if I communicated what I wanted with him.
My worry, based off the new particle effects and eye-color (and the ominous change log note), was that he would be able somehow to make things become possessed. Not sure yet if he can, but I figured it would be an appropriate ability.

Also, I'm not sure if he now counts as possessed but won't transform into a witch. The thought occurred to me when I discovered that he sounds different from other villagers when tossing the milk (lol). It would make some sense, but I don't want to risk testing that one and losing him if I'm wrong.

Regardless, the guy scares me. Good job! :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote:Regardless, the guy scares me. Good job! :)
Cool, thanks for the info man. I won't confirm or deny anything, but knowing what impressions you're getting from him is useful info for me :)

If anyone else has anything to share on this one, would love to hear it as well.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I recently managed to get a level 5 priest, and my thoughts were that he was somehow related to endermen and their powers. Taking ender pearls and being able to turn them into eyes of ender... and his final form made me think of endermen (I think he released some enderman-like particles when he transformed? Now I can't remember for sure). In fact, my first worry was that he might start summoning endermen or something, but so far I haven't noticed any effects.

Anyway, I suppose my idea is that all this messing around with ender magic corrupted him. As for what he needs an infernal enchanter for, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm sure it is related to all that...
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

gaga654 wrote:I recently managed to get a level 5 priest, and my thoughts were that he was somehow related to endermen and their powers. Taking ender pearls and being able to turn them into eyes of ender... and his final form made me think of endermen (I think he released some enderman-like particles when he transformed? Now I can't remember for sure). In fact, my first worry was that he might start summoning endermen or something, but so far I haven't noticed any effects.

Anyway, I suppose my idea is that all this messing around with ender magic corrupted him. As for what he needs an infernal enchanter for, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm sure it is related to all that...
Ah shoot! That makes loads of sense. I saw the portal effects around him and immediately thought 'nether portal', panicked, and fixated on that; I forgot Endermen have that effect too. Of course, maybe both associations are valid. I'm not sure what the backstory is with souls, the Nether, Endermen, and the Dragon. They are certainly all connected though...
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Can someone post some pictures of the visual progression of the villagers please? I'm no where near getting any level 5 villagers, much less any villagers to begin with.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Is there some kind of consequence for killing villagers? I killed one and there was some strange particle effect that I don't know what it means, and I'm too scared to kill any more and maybe screw up my world in a permanent (or long term) way...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
TheGreatIntelligence

What did said particles look like? If they looked like little storm clouds with lightning then those are vanilla particles and aren't anything to worry about.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

jorgebonafe wrote:Is there some kind of consequence for killing villagers? I killed one and there was some strange particle effect that I don't know what it means, and I'm too scared to kill any more and maybe screw up my world in a permanent (or long term) way...
I believe killing them could cause iron golems (if they're protecting them) to come after you.
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

Mason11987 wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:Is there some kind of consequence for killing villagers? I killed one and there was some strange particle effect that I don't know what it means, and I'm too scared to kill any more and maybe screw up my world in a permanent (or long term) way...
I believe killing them could cause iron golems (if they're protecting them) to come after you.
Right, that's vanilla behavior, but likely most BTW players won't have naturally-made iron golems still walking around, only player-made ones, as it's been quite a while since the first Hardcore Villager changes were put in.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh ok... Somehow I'm still not convinced :P All I'm hearing is "its fine, its nothing to worry about..."
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I'm sure it is nothing to worry about...until the moment that it becomes something to worry about. Best not to worry about it until then.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Oh ok... Somehow I'm still not convinced :P All I'm hearing is "its fine, its nothing to worry about..."
Would it help any if I were to tell you that it's nothing to worry about...or is? :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I guess I'll give in and find out eventually :P
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Old news... Instead of reviving thread "New Release! (BTW V4.9 Marsupial?)" I'll give more props here... Damn it MORE props!
In a multiplayer but not the Co-Op Let's play series (plug) I've reached my first village recently. Only had farmers in it. Quickly figured out what the brown wool was for and burst out laughing sending puzzled looks throughout the house. Love the changes to villagers and I've only seen one type.

Even villagers by themselves are fun! Thank you you braided beast!
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

2 Things: 1) My blacksmith is a greedy bastard, he charges tremendous prices for iron armor and tools, but the others seem pretty reasonable.

2) My villager was doing the purple particles too.
Spoiler
Show
TheGreatIntelligence

Yhetti wrote:2 Things: 1) My blacksmith is a greedy bastard, he charges tremendous prices for iron armor and tools, but the others seem pretty reasonable.

2) My villager was doing the purple particles too.
Spoiler
Show
First of all. Just liked to point we got a badass ovah heah. Hardcore Mode BTW.
Second, those particles are from vanilla and appear whenever you make a successful trade. They don't really mean anything other than that the villager has new trades. Maybe not in BTW though...
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote: First of all. Just liked to point we got a badass ovah heah. Hardcore Mode BTW.
No sorry, my texture pack just makes it look like I am playing in Hardcore mode lol. I figured that since everything in BTW is hardcore I should just make it use the hardcore hearts all the time.

And yeah that makes sense, it's weird though, because they don't appear all the time.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

Yhetti wrote:And yeah that makes sense, it's weird though, because they don't appear all the time.
It's a vanilla thing. Most of the time it's the green sparkles, but on occasion you get the purple swirls. Absolutely nothing to worry about... (No Really! Nothing to worry about!)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Yhetti wrote:2 Things: 1) My blacksmith is a greedy bastard, he charges tremendous prices for iron armor and tools, but the others seem pretty reasonable.
He does sell for a lot more than any other villager, but he has a lot of good stuff. All iron and diamond tools and armor. Chain Armor and refined tools too. He's definitely intended to be the emerald sink, which serves an important need when you consider that the farmer is designed as an emerald faucet since most of it's trades give emeralds for farmable goods.

I don't think the librarian sells anything (before max level), same with the priest (except ender eyes, and enchantment) the Farmer sells stuff, but only for a single emerald I think. The butcher mostly sells for a single emerald as well (except for tanned armor/saddle).

From doing a lot of trades with my blacksmith I've found he buys iron ingots 6:1 to 9:1 but sells iron tools at (by ingot) 1:2 to maybe 1:3. So if he's turning those ingots into iron tools, he's selling by ingot for about 12 to 27 times his cost, talk about a costly shaft!

It looks like selling him resources to make diamond ingots is a better deal, but of course diamonds are not renewable, so that makes sense too.

I did notice in my trades that the boots of all types seemed cheaper than I would expect, given the cost of other items. For example, I got diamond boots for 2 Emerald on the ingot but the best helmet I could find was 4 per ingot, same with chestplate and leggings and all the tools
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Have you ever read through an entire thread and wondered if people are even playing the same game as you? And then read through it again just to make sure?

I just found out the requirement for getting a Priest to level 4. Which, to my best understanding, is a requirement for Steel, as I've still yet to see any offers for Ender Eyes (this is, of course, assuming I'm not just unlucky). In terms of changes to the overall progression, isn't this... kind of a big deal? I absolutely cannot fathom how nobody has mentioned it yet.

Unless.... Well, on page 1, Larmantine appears to suggest that the Level 4 requirement for Priests is the Vessel of the Dragon, which in my case was the requirement for upgrading to level 3. Was this part of the recent change?
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

ExpHP wrote:Have you ever read through an entire thread and wondered if people are even playing the same game as you? And then read through it again just to make sure?

I just found out the requirement for getting a Priest to level 4. . . . Was this part of the recent change?
No, it was like that from the beginning. In my case I'm doing all this villager stuff in an old world post-SFS, so I had one of those things just lying around in a chest and didn't think about the trade much. But yeah, it certainly makes progression a bit tougher, and it's kind of funny that nobody has brought it up before now. :)

As for the blacksmith, I'm kind of regretting investing so much into mine. The scroll he sells isn't very appealing to me, and the various tools aren't worth the emerald cost in the late-game. I'd imagine blacksmiths are much more useful earlier in the game though, especially since they can be found in partially-abandoned villages.

And I'm starting to suspect that the recent change to priests really is nothing to worry about, but I can't help but worry anyway. Thanks FC...
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

ExpHP wrote:Have you ever read through an entire thread and wondered if people are even playing the same game as you? And then read through it again just to make sure?

I just found out the requirement for getting a Priest to level 4. Which, to my best understanding, is a requirement for Steel, as I've still yet to see any offers for Ender Eyes (this is, of course, assuming I'm not just unlucky). In terms of changes to the overall progression, isn't this... kind of a big deal? I absolutely cannot fathom how nobody has mentioned it yet.

Unless.... Well, on page 1, Larmantine appears to suggest that the Level 4 requirement for Priests is the Vessel of the Dragon, which in my case was the requirement for upgrading to level 3. Was this part of the recent change?
The requirement for a priest to get to level 4 has nothing to do with steel, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Mind posting a screenshot?
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Mason11987 wrote:

The requirement for a priest to get to level 4 has nothing to do with steel, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Mind posting a screenshot?
He meant that getting a priest to level 4 is a requirement for steel, because level four is when they start offering eyes of ender. The sentence wording was just ambiguous.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Mason11987 wrote:The requirement for a priest to get to level 4 has nothing to do with steel, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Mind posting a screenshot?
I think you've misinterpreted me. To my understanding, getting a priest to level 4 is the only way to get Ender Eyes, and Ender Eyes are a requirement for Steel.

Therefore - and again, this is only my current understanding - the wither has become a requirement for steel. Which I'd argue is a pretty big paradigm shift, as a number of tasks that were formerly almost exclusively the domain of the endgame must be accomplished without steel.

For example, even the fetch quest for wither skulls is affected by this. Previously, battleaxes made the hunt for wither skulls much less grindy. Now I'm wondering if I may need to start working on a nether fortress mob trap first. And for that project, the pressure is on for you to keep your Nether Groth in check, as rest assured you won't be able to walk around in it. It really feels like this is the final set of challenges to prove you are worthy of steel.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

ExpHP wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:The requirement for a priest to get to level 4 has nothing to do with steel, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Mind posting a screenshot?
I think you've misinterpreted me. To my understanding, getting a priest to level 4 is the only way to get Ender Eyes, and Ender Eyes are a requirement for Steel.

Therefore - and again, this is only my current understanding - the wither has become a requirement for steel. Which I'd argue is a pretty big paradigm shift, as a number of tasks that were formerly almost exclusively the domain of the endgame must be accomplished without steel.

For example, even the fetch quest for wither skulls is affected by this. Previously, battleaxes made the hunt for wither skulls much less grindy. Now I'm wondering if I may need to start working on a nether fortress mob trap first. And for that project, the pressure is on for you to keep your Nether Groth in check, as rest assured you won't be able to walk around in it. It really feels like this is the final set of challenges to prove you are worthy of steel.
Ah okay, yeah, the wither is part of the tech tree and that is a big change. Definitely worth mentioning here. I also included it in my visualization flow chart thread when I updated to include these changes a week ago.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8528
Last edited by Mason11987 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.