Flower's Dev Diary (March 31st) - Cold hard truth edition

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (March 31st) - Cold hard truth editio

Post by FlowerChild »

Dreambolt wrote:Well I've had ideological disagreement with your stances in the past
There's always got to be one... ;)
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I've found that I haven't been getting as excited for game releases as I once did many years ago, but March 11th man. The final update of BTW is so much more exciting than anything that has been announced recently on the gaming scene! I don't think I have this much faith in any other developer.
hawk

Post by hawk »

I have been a silent but avid follower of BTW over the last five months and have spent roughly 300 hours of real life on the most enjoyably frustrating gaming experience I never knew I was missing. I may have been late to the party but please allow me to echo what has been said time and time again on these forums. You’ve got a gift, FC. You know what makes a game great and seem to have the temperament required to remain true to that vision. While I could never fully understand the frustration you have felt for the last year, a bit of research shows anyone who takes the time that you have dedication bordering on super human.
Ending your game on your terms is not only your right but also in line with the philosophy that has made BTW the gem we all love. I for one am extremely excited for what the future holds for you as an independent game developer and what that means for hardcore feature loving players everywhere. Thank you for all you have done to make BTW obsession worthy and for the countless hours of enjoyment it will give long after April 10th . Thank you for making me buy KSP because of your BTSM vacation.

I can’t wait to see what’s next.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Considering that I have actively seen you pour out great features and updates 86.5 times (yes, exact number) as fast as Mojang currently can....

10 days....Game on.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I have to agree with others before me. If this is cold, hard truth then I can't wait to see what you consider good news. :)

As a modder you owe it to yourself to get out and cut your losses if a project is no longer fun and is just draining your creativity, and I'm glad to see you do it. Good luck with finalizing BTW - I'm really looking forward to RTH. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
devak

Post by devak »

FlowerChild wrote: I want to say a few things that have been weighing on me more and more over the past while.
Those months have taught you a deep, almost spiritual truth about yourself and discovered what you truly want. It's worth more to everyone if you're (relatively :P) sane and understand your motivations than messing about and not truly understanding what your brain is trying to tell you.

So yea, self-discovery is good man. It's great to hear you figured yourself out and can move on now to what your heart truly desires.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

It saddens me to hear of your plight, but to step up and be open like this shows real bravery.
Its been an inspiration to play your game, and an honour to learn from you.
Thank you for 3 years of devotion, and I wish you all the best for your future endeavours.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

Well i would like it to continue ,but i also say being forced to do something you dislike just kills the person inside. (that would be bad, cause i look forward to your future games)

BTW's game-play has made me a better player of games of many types. it has made me think in ways i didn't before, and it has also gave me a challenge of long-term gameing on a single game that was challenging to beat.

thank you FC for all your (almost) 3 years of making this mod, of making a community that helps each-other, and for not listening to the fan-base. i hope to WILL see you when your games come out and you ,maybe, come back and see what (i think) started your rein over the gaming world
Kannsinn

Post by Kannsinn »

Huzzah! Congrats on your decision can't wait to see what comes of it!
Skrump

Post by Skrump »

I wish you the best of luck, FC. Although I rarely post on the forums, BTW will always have a place in my heart *insert tear here*

Also, I see that you gained some experience with Unity and C# through KSP. From my personal experiences, C# is a heck of a lot of fun programming. Enjoy :]
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

FlowerChild wrote:
There's always got to be one... ;)
Lol well you know, but again I'll restate. You've produced a top noch mod which I have not yet seen any real equal in quality. This is the highest praise I think any one could wish for, and I think you've certinly earned it. :)

Good luck, but I doubt you'll need it. Just watch that negativity bias. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dreambolt wrote:Just watch that negativity bias. ;)
And always one that just won't let it go... ;)

Pro-tip man: if you're trying to say something nice, don't turn it into a backhanded compliment by feeling obliged to inset vague negative assertions into what you're saying. You'll often find that people don't even hear the nice part as a result. I know I don't.
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

I apolgize I did not mean for that I was trying to minmize my negative comment. Nothing more.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dreambolt wrote:I apolgize I did not mean for that I was trying to minmize my negative comment. Nothing more.
Forget it man. At another time I'd love to debate with you how you morally justify the right to have "ideological differences" about how someone chooses to spend their own time and creative energy, as it's an ongoing source of mystery for me how anyone manages to do that (and it seems to be a very common attribute I've run afoul of many times while working on my mods), but given this seems to be a happy occasion for many I'd prefer to just drop it and move on.

I guess it's at least relevant in highlighting one of the reasons why modding has become something I very much want to move on from :P
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Agreed good luck :)
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

Damn man, I almost cried. ;)

Wish you the best buddy. As soon as my ad check comes in from google, I'll send you a little sumptin sumptin.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dreambolt wrote:Agreed good luck :)
Pro-tip #2: Never play "last word" games with someone for whom assured victory is only a button press away.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Rockin'.

Do what's fun. The rest will follow.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I stopped playing BTW when you said you were going to work on the villagers. I just have to keep moving, marking my way until I find one then head back close to start, and then set up my base. I am hoping that getting wheat from a village will not be a matter of walking in, collecting, raid the blacksmiths chest (if one is there) and heading back, but a dangerous and hopefully not a wise thing to do.

This game is by far one of the most well thought out ones I have ever played, and I just threw quite a few away today, that were just taking up space in a box.

I hope someday in the future you will be able to come back to this, with a fresh outlook. If not, I will still be playing BTW, hopefully RTH, and your Kerbal mod as well.

Best of luck with your new endeavor, and thank you for what you have accomplished, and shared with us in BTW.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Good luck FC. I've been out of the loop for a while, peeking on here every once in a while. I am still looking forward to seeing the final masterpiece, have been for a long time, and I've enjoyed every second of the wait. From the first windmill to sobbing while the night mobs devoured the animals outside my mudhole shelter. Epic or not, everything must come to an end, and once you close the book on it, I'll have RTH to look forward to.

Thank you for everything you've done for the community throughout the last three years. It truly has been a great experience seeing this mod unfold. Power to ya' boss.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I have to post just to say thanks for putting your time and effort into this creation.

I'm glad to hear you've come to a decision on your future goals with both BTW and RTH and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for both.

I've enjoyed being a part of this community (however much on the fringe that I am) and have really enjoyed your design process, methodology, and philosophy. So thanks for creating this cool game and the community around it.

Good luck.
Obligatory Contribution Picture
Show
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Good luck :D
--Who do you think you are, War?
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

It's been so much fun, man. You revitalized my interest in Minecraft in a way I never would have thought possible. In addition to that, you gave me a taste of the thought processes of a real game developer and restored a spark I thought long dead to my interest in programming.

It's been a while since I posted my big long writeup on how you inspired me to do better in college. I'm now less than a year away from completing my computer science degree, and you were a big reason that I switched back to an engineering major.

I'm behind you, and I know the rest of your community is too. I empathize with your feelings on the state of MC and its community, and I'm excited for your final work with BTW. Above all, I thank you, for the time and effort you've given us, the hours of fun your mod added to a gameless game, and for the inspiration you've given me personally. I look up to you, man, and plenty of others do too. I look forward to everything you do in the future!
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

I like how you go with it. Completing the mod, I consider really big goal(even when it's adding just a minor thing, which should be called finishing touches) as you get something finished. The fact that it isn't stretching, towards new minecraft versions, makes it possible to complete. Can't wait to see what "independent game developer" title will bring to this world.

Thanks for the great mod...or game I should say!
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

I logged in for the first time in a few weeks because I just wanted to drop a nice word your way, FC.

I admit that I'd very nearly given up on RTH and BTW for a while there. I knew you were working on BTSM but hadn't realized how long it had been since the last update. I've got plans on doing an LP myself and wanted to hold off on starting til I got the whole shebang. I'm glad I checked the site today!

I think it's a good idea to set yourself the deadline that you have. If you're getting burnt out on the development cycle, then no good can come of forcing yourself to prolong it. Nor can anything come of forcing yourself down a several month long development cycle.

I'm personally more interested in RTH than I am Minecraft or BTW. I know it'll be a long while til we see anything, but I feel like it's worth the wait. The freedom of development and the freedom to do whatever you please without cleaning up another person's loose ends will probably be a godsend. I know you're developing it to be pretty much BTW as it stands, but I hope a fresh slate will also lead to some fresh ideas as you go. I'm especially interested in seeing the tech trees and any early survival differences.

Good luck, man. I love your work so far and I really hope this is a step that improves your life. Would be glad to spread the word and offer an early purchase or a little funding!