Notch is back at It again Better than food eating animation

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
morvelaira

Re: Notch is back at It again Better than food eating animat

Post by morvelaira »

Ported games are never the 'real' thing. They're always a variant version because all the console companies have their own requirements and stances. And when I say modding will be actively discouraged, I mean it will be discouraged in this form. Any mod that will be downloaded will have to come through the XBL Marketplace, and that's a red tape nightmare for random 17 year old. I'm sure Flower is perfectly capable, but I still doubt it's something he'd want to bother with.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Deepsniper wrote: -falls out of chair- Well that doesn't sound like real minecraft to me...
Yes, but supporting mods wouldn't sound like XBox Live.

I think there main reasons for discouraging it, and they're reasons I can understand, is a matter of having some quality control over the content of their platform, and also due to security issues and problem with anti-cheat measures in modded multiplayer games.

One nice thing about Live is that you're fairly certain you're on a level playing-field vs the other players, and that's something that is always somewhat in question on the PC, especially when playing mods.
M!C

Post by M!C »

FlowerChild wrote:
Deepsniper wrote: -falls out of chair- Well that doesn't sound like real minecraft to me...
Yes, but supporting mods wouldn't sound like XBox Live.

I think there main reasons for discouraging it, and they're reasons I can understand, is a matter of having some quality control over the content of their platform, and also due to security issues and problem with anti-cheat measures in modded multiplayer games.

One nice thing about Live is that you're fairly certain you're on a level playing-field vs the other players, and that's something that is always somewhat in question on the PC, especially when playing mods.
Yes and additionally you can usually be sure that if you buy a game for a console it does work as it should. No lag, no bugs (ok, thats a dream ;) ).
If games were modded however you can't be so sure that it can be run on your console anymore.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

If modding can't be done to the xbla version of minecraft, then i'm not too sure i'd bother buying it. vMC has become boring to me, i quite literally need mods in order for minecraft to interest me anymore. It will still get a huge number of sales, but people will be back on their pc's playing minecraft for the mods in no time
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

M!C wrote:Yes and additionally you can usually be sure that if you buy a game for a console it does work as it should. No lag, no bugs (ok, thats a dream ;) ).
If games were modded however you can't be so sure that it can be run on your console anymore.
Yup, that's part of what I mean by quality control. Generally, to ship a game for a console (not just XBox), you need the approval of the console manufacturer itself, and this usually involves the title being relatively bug-free and at least devoid of crash-bugs.

I've been through that process several times and it's relatively nerve-wracking as the outcome is often beyond your control and may completely fuck your release schedule :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

morvelaira wrote:As someone who works with the Xbox LIVE department, I can confirm that Minecraft is indeed coming to XBLA, and that modding will not be supported, and in all likelihood actively discouraged.
Have fun enforcing it. There isn't a game on ex bawks that hasn't been modded.
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

BinoAl wrote:If modding can't be done to the xbla version of minecraft, then i'm not too sure i'd bother buying it. vMC has become boring to me, i quite literally need mods in order for minecraft to interest me anymore. It will still get a huge number of sales, but people will be back on their pc's playing minecraft for the mods in no time
Well imo their main reason for bothering with it is because of that blatand minecraft clone that you can get on crapbox live. Total Miner or something. Mojang must have missed something major with their copyright to allow it even to exist. Console gamers are also used to beeing restricted. Like Apple users, the thing is just most of them don't know what they could do ;).
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Brethern wrote:
morvelaira wrote:As someone who works with the Xbox LIVE department, I can confirm that Minecraft is indeed coming to XBLA, and that modding will not be supported, and in all likelihood actively discouraged.
It's actually quite easy to enforce it. It's a game that will come through the Marketplace, and have multiplayer content. That means you'll need an Xbox LIVE profile to connect to LIVE in order to play the game. Any reports of un-approved modding from either the community or an active sweep by MS (which does happen) will result in either a ban to your LIVE account or a de-whitelisting of your Xbox. Maybe both. That's the simplest and most common enforcement there is.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

morvelaira wrote:
Brethern wrote:
It's actually quite easy to enforce it. It's a game that will come through the Marketplace, and have multiplayer content. That means you'll need an Xbox LIVE profile to connect to LIVE in order to play the game. Any reports of un-approved modding from either the community or an active sweep by MS (which does happen) will result in either a ban to your LIVE account or a de-whitelisting of your Xbox. Maybe both. That's the simplest and most common enforcement there is.
And this is why I despise Microsoft as much as I do, and do not own an X-Box.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Damion Rayne wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:
Battosay wrote:Nah, sadly finite8 is right, the worlds created before 1.8 will keep their old world gen., so you will never have the new biomes and stuff on them. You'll have to make a brand new world :/
Heard that from Jeb, can't remember where, it was some Pax talk with someone.
Really? I seem to recall that Notch said that an existing world will be usable and will use the new generator for zones that are created after 1.8. It's only the areas that you have already loaded that will be using the current world gen.
Yup, I heard Notch say exactly the same thing during his live-stream demo of 1.8 the other day.
Me to.

In no way has he ever stated that he'd destroy peoples current worlds. Only yet again people freaking out about stuff they no nothing about, the world generation changes will not take affect in a world until you travel to a new area. This is what has been stated time and time again.

Note: I see how that statement about people freaking out may have come off wrong, apologies for that. But rest asured we'll be able to keep our current worlds.
No kidding. Besides, I would think that having separate worldgen code for different save versions would be something that would require Notch to go out of way to code, whereas it requires no extra code to just change the worldgen code. So yeah, new world generation should be no different than normal.

And concerning the current discussion topic:

Yes, companies like Microsoft and Apple are quite restrictive with their products, which is why I tend to avoid using either of their products, and instead use Linux, as you could probably tell from my avatar. (hooray for open source!) I do have an iTouch though, but it's jailbroken, and much better off for it imo.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

darahalian wrote:Yes, companies like Microsoft and Apple are quite restrictive with their products, which is why I tend to avoid using either of their products, and instead use Linux, as you could probably tell from my avatar. (hooray for open source!) I do have an iTouch though, but it's jailbroken, and much better off for it imo.
The only real thing keeping me from linux is its lack of big games. If steam hadn't decided against porting games to ubuntu like they did with apple, I would uninstall windows 7 for good. And my iTouch is jailbroken too :D i have a bit of a grudge against apple, so i go out of my way to pirate app store apps on installous, and pretend it actually hurts them >:)
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

BinoAl wrote: The only real thing keeping me from linux is its lack of big games. If steam hadn't decided against porting games to ubuntu like they did with apple, I would uninstall windows 7 for good. And my iTouch is jailbroken too :D i have a bit of a grudge against apple, so i go out of my way to pirate app store apps on installous, and pretend it actually hurts them >:)
Yeah, the lack of support for the mainstream games is sometimes annoying, but frankly, I really don't need to waste any more time on games than I already do with things like Minecraft :P I actually wouldn't mind getting a macbook for game and other software compatability; it's microsoft that I really hate using.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Considering this has gone off topic a bit.

PS-3 RULES X-BOX Drools < ---- IS JOKE
The PS-3 is a far superior console in pure power alone But also its online function is FREE .

I don't understand why notch went with the X-Box . I mean the processor in the PS-3 is specificity designed for complex agrarianisms like the ones used By computer games for rendering . Notch could have leveraged this power to increase the rendered distance by a Massive margin with no LAG. Also the PS-3 is 3D compatible . Imagine Minecraft on a 3D system it would be awesome. Being able to look into the distant setting sun form the top of the world and see the depth of the world as it disappears into the Distance.

Any way I started this thread to see what people thought of notch and It looks like you are defending him ( witch was the desired outcome ) if I started a thread called I Love Notch It would have been flamed to hell . But it looks like most people are looking ford to 1.8 Like me The new regions and oceans are looking very cool .
Last edited by BigShinyToys on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

BigShinyToys wrote:PS-3 RULES X-BOX Drools
Really? I mean, really?

Well, let the shitstorm ensue. Fellow multiplats who don't give a rats ass, I'll be in the bunker.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

lock this before it gets out of hand, with the console war
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I had more or less set my mind on giving up Minecraft once 1.8 was released... but then I saw the PAX footage and got a lot calmer about it tbh.
While things like experience points, food bar, larger biomes, new bigger dungeons etc seemed quite rudundant at first in comparison to a more useful Nether or actually advancing Steve's tech I can now see where he wants to go at least. I also felt like Notch had spent the necessary time thinking things through this time, at least on paper. The food bar is actually a change I am looking forward to now that I've gotten an idea of how it works, and experience could be a nice change if I understood things correctly. We just have to wait and see if he and Jeb can impement it properly.
That said I would still havee enjoyed a Nther update much more. At least zombies drop something new this time around. Guess we'll have to see about how useful that is as well...

(I even started work on my personal texture pack again, but with the amount of work creeping up on my atm I don't see myself finishing it soon enough:/)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tekei wrote: At least zombies drop something new this time around. Guess we'll have to see about how useful that is as well...
Hey man, even if zombie flesh doesn't have any useful properties as is, I can see it being a stellar addition to my fledgling alchemy system....

Ah, gotta love it when Notch hands me an invitation to be a twisted fuck on a silver platter :)
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FlowerChild wrote:Hey man, even if zombie flesh doesn't have any useful properties as is, I can see it being a stellar addition to my fledgling alchemy system....

Ah, gotta love it when Notch hands me an invitation to be a twisted fuck on a silver platter :)
Oh yeah! I never doubted your ability to turn any unused item into something useful, and utterly disturbing. Keep at it! :)
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

morvelaira wrote:
Brethern wrote:
I never said it was hard.

I said modding 360 games is easy. The game just has to be popular enough to be worth the effort.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:
Tekei wrote: At least zombies drop something new this time around. Guess we'll have to see about how useful that is as well...
Hey man, even if zombie flesh doesn't have any useful properties as is, I can see it being a stellar addition to my fledgling alchemy system....

I love it to, :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

TBH; the food eating animation paired with the immobility is actually a good move; makes the game harder.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Better than ruining gameplay?
Jens' twitter wrote: Jens Bergensten
@tinfoilchef ... although we may make grinders obsolete in the future. For instance, exp orbs are only dropped if a player did the killing
6 hours ago

Tinfoil Chef
@jeb_ That's ok, if I'm using a mob grinder I want the drops more than the exp orbs
6 hours ago

Jens Bergensten
@tinfoilchef Yeah but that was what I was hinting at... We haven't changed it yet, but we may make drops work the same way as orbs
God I hope someone with common sense and influence says no to this.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Stormweaver wrote:Better than ruining gameplay?
@tinfoilchef ... although we may make grinders obsolete in the future. For instance, exp orbs are only dropped if a player did the killing
6 hours ago

Tinfoil Chef
@jeb_ That's ok, if I'm using a mob grinder I want the drops more than the exp orbs
6 hours ago

Jens Bergensten
@tinfoilchef Yeah but that was what I was hinting at... We haven't changed it yet, but we may make drops work the same way as orbs
oh god, im not even sure if you need common sense to see this is a bad idea, just look at half the tutorials on youtube
M!C

Post by M!C »

Stormweaver wrote:Better than ruining gameplay?
6 hours ago

Tinfoil Chef
6 hours ago

Jens Bergensten
If they do this I will find a way to automate a player and put it into my trap ... (would need smp support, i know)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

after thinking about this, FC could always make it that saws act like a player