Notch is back at It again Better than food eating animation

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
gftweek

Re: Notch is back at It again Better than food eating animat

Post by gftweek »

Damion Rayne wrote:I can only hope Jeb and Notch have taken pages from the Millenarie mod, as that is a pretty awesome mod.
Pages maybe, but for the NPC villages to be any good, they'll have to have taken chapters at least, if not half the book. I don't see it happening, they'll be just like wolves.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

gftweek wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:I can only hope Jeb and Notch have taken pages from the Millenarie mod, as that is a pretty awesome mod.
Pages maybe, but for the NPC villages to be any good, they'll have to have taken chapters at least, if not half the book. I don't see it happening, they'll be just like wolves.
That is what I am worried about and what makes me sad.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

The only problem I have with NPC villages is that when I make a world that's not for SMP, I want to build stuff myself. With these villages you get precoded buildings that will repeat, and thus you lose the creativity of either seeing your own buildings or buildings someone else has made.

Really it takes away from the whole "Steve is the only person in the world" vibe that I love about Minecraft. Even in SMP you're just a cluster of Steves that know there's no one else out there ( I use the word 'know' lightly).
finite8

Post by finite8 »

We're boned.

Maps generated in previous versions will NOT be compatible with 1.8. You will still be able to play them, but the worlds will generate as they currently do and won't use the new world generator. i.e: No NPC, no rivers, no new biomes.

Looks like the popularity of MCEdit is going to go through the roof.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

finite8 wrote:We're boned.

Maps generated in previous versions will NOT be compatible with 1.8. You will still be able to play them, but the worlds will generate as they currently do and won't use the new world generator. i.e: No NPC, no rivers, no new biomes.

sadly with the large changes he has made tot he generator i fear for the bugs MC edit will cause...

Anyway i have chosen to restart after 1.8... i have to try BTW w/o handcranking to steel anyway =P

~Von
Urian

Post by Urian »

I just looked at the videos again and noticed that you get experience orbs from killing mobs. Does that mean you can powerlevel with a mob grinder? :)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Urian wrote:I just looked at the videos again and noticed that you get experience orbs from killing mobs. Does that mean you can powerlevel with a mob grinder? :)
Well, I think the spawn rules have changed, so I'm not sure how well mob grinders are going to work any more, also with skeletons dying in the sun every morning, it would be stupid for experience orbs to be lying around everywhere, so I guess they'll only drop if you kill the mob yourself. Doesn't matter till there is something to spend skill points on though!

By the way, if you do want to keep your 1.7 world, and don't want the huge chunk error cliffs where the newly generated terrain starts, this guy has created a smoothing script to blend the terrain better.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Vongard wrote:

sadly with the large changes he has made tot he generator i fear for the bugs MC edit will cause...

Anyway i have chosen to restart after 1.8... i have to try BTW w/o handcranking to steel anyway =P

~Von
Meh, She'll be right. Might find i get some interesting new weather along with some interesting borders. I'm more curious as to what those 404 Challenge people are going to do.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

gftweek wrote:By the way, if you do want to keep your 1.7 world, and don't want the huge chunk error cliffs where the newly generated terrain starts, this guy has created a smoothing script to blend the terrain better.
Ehh, i don't think it does all that good of a job. You go from really odd, perfectly square cliffs to really odd, almost perfectly square rivers. Its not too much of an improvement, imo
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

That's not entirely true. You just have to explore new areas of your old world to get the new stuff to generate (just like stuff like tall grass now). There'll be visible seams in the terrain where the new stuff generates, but that's it.

Given I've been playing the same world since I started playing Minecraft. This is an entirely acceptable compromise for me. Giving up that world would likely mean me losing interest in and giving up on Minecraft entirely.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nah, sadly finite8 is right, the worlds created before 1.8 will keep their old world gen., so you will never have the new biomes and stuff on them. You'll have to make a brand new world :/
Heard that from Jeb, can't remember where, it was some Pax talk with someone.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

BinoAl wrote:
gftweek wrote:By the way, if you do want to keep your 1.7 world, and don't want the huge chunk error cliffs where the newly generated terrain starts, this guy has created a smoothing script to blend the terrain better.
Ehh, i don't think it does all that good of a job. You go from really odd, perfectly square cliffs to really odd, almost perfectly square rivers. Its not too much of an improvement, imo
Ah well, I hadn't tried it myself, just noticed it and thought it might be of interest, he might improve it before 1.8 or there might be better solutions out there. Personally, I'll either be moving far enough away that the newly generated terrain won't meet the 1.7 edges, or starting a new world.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

As soon as the new update is out I'll be starting a brand new world and "Seed/Location Hunting". Therefore I know where the perfect location will be to build my new home and base.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Battosay wrote:Nah, sadly finite8 is right, the worlds created before 1.8 will keep their old world gen., so you will never have the new biomes and stuff on them. You'll have to make a brand new world :/
Really? I seem to recall that Notch said that an existing world will be usable and will use the new generator for zones that are created after 1.8. It's only the areas that you have already loaded that will be using the current world gen.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Urian wrote:
Battosay wrote:Nah, sadly finite8 is right, the worlds created before 1.8 will keep their old world gen., so you will never have the new biomes and stuff on them. You'll have to make a brand new world :/
Really? I seem to recall that Notch said that an existing world will be usable and will use the new generator for zones that are created after 1.8. It's only the areas that you have already loaded that will be using the current world gen.
Yup, I heard Notch say exactly the same thing during his live-stream demo of 1.8 the other day.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:
Urian wrote:
Yup, I heard Notch say exactly the same thing during his live-stream demo of 1.8 the other day.
Me to.

In no way has he ever stated that he'd destroy peoples current worlds. Only yet again people freaking out about stuff they no nothing about, the world generation changes will not take affect in a world until you travel to a new area. This is what has been stated time and time again.

Note: I see how that statement about people freaking out may have come off wrong, apologies for that. But rest asured we'll be able to keep our current worlds.
Last edited by Damion Rayne on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

On another note guys here's an idea for ya... Minecraft on the XBox?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Deepsniper wrote:On another note guys here's an idea for ya... Minecraft on the XBox?
To be fair, that's not something that Mojang produces.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Uh, yes they do? They are now working with a microsoft team that is helping them port to the x-box.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Yes its being ported but the programming is going to be done by microsoft so were pretty safe on that end.
Glox

Post by Glox »

Yea mojang is just helping that other team a bit i think, most work will be done by that other team.
Xbox version might be coded with less bugs and better code structure, but i don't think you will notice much difference unless maybe if you are a modder, so i'd prefer to play on my laptop on my couch over the xbox (if i would have one that is). I doubt you will be able to transfer your pc worlds to xbox version so you would have to start over, and i'm not too sure how well you can play minecraft with a controller.
But above all, the xbox version will have no mods at the beginning. Some mods will probably be ported, but i'm 99.99% sure BTW will not be one of them. Minecraft without BTW is not an option for me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Glox wrote:Yea mojang is just helping that other team a bit i think, most work will be done by that other team.
Xbox version might be coded with less bugs and better code structure, but i don't think you will notice much difference unless maybe if you are a modder, so i'd prefer to play on my laptop on my couch over the xbox (if i would have one that is). I doubt you will be able to transfer your pc worlds to xbox version so you would have to start over, and i'm not too sure how well you can play minecraft with a controller.
But above all, the xbox version will have no mods at the beginning. Some mods will probably be ported, but i'm 99.99% sure BTW will not be one of them. Minecraft without BTW is not an option for me.

Why do you think mods will be ported? Microsoft has not exactly been friendly with user-content for commercial games over XBox Live.
Glox

Post by Glox »

FlowerChild wrote: Why do you think mods will be ported? Microsoft has not exactly been friendly with user-content for commercial games over XBox Live.
True, i forgot that microsoft is also involved and that they have some weird phobia for customization. Another reason to stay away from them i guess.
I wonder how many people are willing to play minecraft without any mods?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

As someone who works with the Xbox LIVE department, I can confirm that Minecraft is indeed coming to XBLA, and that modding will not be supported, and in all likelihood actively discouraged.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

morvelaira wrote:and that modding will not be supported, and in all likelihood actively discouraged.
-falls out of chair- Well that doesn't sound like real minecraft to me...