On the Feeding of Wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
gaga654

On the Feeding of Wolves

Post by gaga654 »

I am very confused about what exactly you can feed wolves, and what will happen when you feed them. This is confusing enough in vanilla minecraft, where feeding wolves can both heal them and also cause them to breed; I'm still not sure when each thing happens, and I'm also not sure what you can feed them--raw meat, cooked meat, or both? BTW makes this more complicated with the addition of dung production, new foods, and also the ability to feed by throwing food on the ground in addition to by hand.

So, what types of food can wolves eat; when will feeding them make them breed and when will it make them produce dung; and does it matter if they are fed by hand or by throwing food on the ground?
Gunnerman21

Re: On the Feeding of Wolves

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Not sure about which food because theres combinations now, but i know if you only want your wolf to be fed you can throw food on the ground and they eat when hungry. But if you want them to breed youll have to take care of the hunger first, i.e. throwing food down first to each then feeding, or feeding each 2 pieces by hand.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Wolf hater

Post by Wolf hater »

As far as I know, you can feed them any meat. And regarding what happens when you feed them, I think it is like this:

-When you feed them by hand while they are wounded or hungry, they will produce dung and heal.
-When you feed them by hand while they aren't wounded or hungry, they will breed.
-When they eat food from the ground and they are wounded or hungry, they will produce dung and heal.
-They can't breed with food that is lying on the ground.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

You can tell if they're injured by looking at the angle of their tail when standing. If it's slightly above sticking straight out, then they're fully healed.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Alright, thanks for the help. As for getting hungry, they become hungry again after producing dung, right? Also, do I have to worry about any ill effects if I don't feed them?
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

gaga654 wrote:As for getting hungry, they become hungry again after producing dung, right? Also, do I have to worry about any ill effects if I don't feed them?
Yeah once they poop you can feed them again. They won't die from not eating, but when hungry they'll eat anything even remotely like food which happens to fall on the ground near them.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

I can give you a tip, if you don't mind spoilers.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

On the point of what they can be fed: Experiment!

Dogs can actually be fed many of the more efficient foods that involve meat. Composite foods such as Eggs and Ham, or Tasty Sandwiches allow you to effectively double the amount of dog food you have. So go ahead: Let your dogs eat like kings! :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

If only we could automate sandwich making... :P
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I believe Steve missed his chance for a patent on 100% Jam-Free Top-Bun-Dropping Technology.
Spoiler
Show
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Clearly, FC needs to add that. (It should cost 20 diamonds and need the new super-crucible to make it though, that way it isn't OP)
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

What if
Spoiler
Show
The Device
is actually a sandwich maker?
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Oh man, that makes so much sense. The two SFS plates, the redstone and smoke, the hellish screaming.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Technically you can feed them any meat, but their favorite food is wolf chops. Also note that if you ever get randomly attacked by a formerly peaceful wolf, feeding wolf chops to other nearby wolves will distract it.