Just started to play the mod. I love it a lot, but there's..

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Undust4able

Just started to play the mod. I love it a lot, but there's..

Post by Undust4able »

But there is one thing that annoys me like hell. It is the hardcore hunger. Not all of it. Look, FC, every time I punch something with my hand (I mean hit), it takes 1/6 of my hunger. At 3 bars I can't punch mobs (I mean hit).

This means that if I have full hunger, I have only 6 × (10-3) punchs left, (I mean hits), it's the 42. Meaning of life, galaxy, and all those things...

So, you are saying, that if I punch (I mean hit) my chair in my home IRL (just for example) 42 times, I will be so hungry that I no longer can punch (I mean... you know.) everything?

Just remove this feature. I am getting really mad when I hit (Yes!), say, a cow, and see how my hunger bar dramatically decreases. Dude, this isn't hardcore, this is unfair.

Also, make that I still can hit mobs while my hunger is below 3, it will just give them a little knockback (depends on how much hunger left) and a 0-0.5 (15% chance) damage.

Thanks for reading, I hope you will make this ASAP, I really want to play BTW!
Undust4able

Re: Just started to play the mod. I love it a lot, but there

Post by Undust4able »

Edit: I just registered. Maybe it's a wrong forum to post. Re-posting at BTW Feedback.
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

Undust4able wrote:Just remove this feature.
FC loves demands almost as much as suggestions. I'm sure you'll get what you're after and not banned.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Trying to be helpful before your vacation... Are you using a tool or just your hand to hit? If it is just your hand maybe it is there to indicate you should be using something else to kill animals.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Haha, I love that you're playing the realism card. I bet you punch cows to dead without getting tired all the time in real life.

Get your realism out of my game noob :p
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Undust4able wrote:... stuff about punching mobs ...
Stop trying to kill animals with your bare hands, noob. The massive hunger loss should have been a hint that you don't want to do that. There's some getting started guides on the wiki, try reading those for tips on how to get started.
Spoiler
Show
Use an axe
Also, keep in mind that you don't want to spam click because it wastes hunger and durability while they're invulnerable.

Stop with the real-life comparisons too. This mod isn't about realism, it's about gameplay. Also you can't punch a cow to death so it's silly anyway. It's really worth trying to play the mod as intended by letting go of your vanilla expectation of having everything handed to you.
Undust4able wrote:Edit: I just registered. Maybe it's a wrong forum to post. Re-posting at BTW Feedback.
Well, that was a mistake. General internet pro-tip: lurk more (read a bunch of other threads) before posting to get a feel for the community. Like if you read some of the other threads in that feedback forum (mainly FC's responses) you should have figured out not to post there.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Undust4able wrote:Thanks for reading, I hope you will make this ASAP, I really want to play BTW!
Oh, not to worry. FC will take action regarding your polite request quite soon, I'm sure. It was nice knowing you.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sadly our friend is no longer with us. I really wanted to hear further explanation about how unrealistic it was he couldn't punch cows to death. But after his flagrant and egregious rule 1 violations I felt duty bound to ban him.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Sadly our friend is no longer with us. I really wanted to hear further explanation about how unrealistic it was he couldn't punch cows to death. But after his flagrant and egregious rule 1 violations I felt duty bound to ban him.
Hehe...nice job. Looks like I missed this entire episode and it was dealt with appropriately without my intervention :)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

You know guys, people always defend BTW in saying that realism doesn't matter for gameplay, therefore it doesn't matter how unrealistic BTW is. However I highly disagree, BTW is very realistic, and I could sit here and provide maybe thirty points for why it is more so than Minecraft, I think people just have expectations from Vanilla that they have moved over to BTW.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I liked the word anarch used better. Versimilitude.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Ya know, I'm with FC on this one.

"Realism" has no place in gameplay. "Verisimilitude" is what is critical, and what BTW has in spades.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sarudak. Yeah, internal consistency is what matters. It's what people actually notice missing when they play a game. You can throw as much realism out the window as you want, but if you mess up your internal consistency, people will complain. Ironically, they will complain about a "lack of realism", because they don't know any better.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, there are many many reasons why people complain about lack of realism.

I find the most common to be what I view the OP to be representative of: as a justification for what they personally want to make the game easier for them. What the OP is arguing for is no more realistic than what is already in BTW, and as others have argued, may be even less so. HOWEVER, by putting forth a very select version of reality, they're able to make what would otherwise just be a whiny "it's too hard" post into some kind of argument for what sounds like a more noble ideal.

As I've said before: I often take inspiration from the consensus reality. One of the easiest (potential technical challenges aside) ways to attain suspension of disbelief in a game is to have something behave as the player would naturally expect in day to day life. What I find it important to always point out though, is that realism is not the goal in that, and thus is not an argument to do something in and of itself. It's a common frame of reference that a designer can make use of in order to help sell interesting gameplay mechanisms. Nothing more.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Besides, I don't think the OP has actually tried punching a chair as hard as he can 42 times...

I'd pay to see a video of him trying it :)