Disappearance of Animals

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
gaga654

Disappearance of Animals

Post by gaga654 »

So, occasionally when I come back to my animal pen I find that there are fewer animals than there should be. I'm certain it's lit up and there are no ways for monsters to get in. It also should be plenty big so the animals shouldn't be suffocating each other. I think that this is just because of the vanilla bug of animals suffocating in walls, but I wasn't sure if that was still around. Can anyone else confirm that this bug exists? I want to be sure it's due to a bug before I go and cheat animals in to replace the ones I've lost.

Also, here is a picture of the animal pen:
Spoiler
Show
Rob

Re: Disappearance of Animals

Post by Rob »

If you go to the Change Log on the wiki and search for words related to your question you can usually find what you are looking for. Not scolding you, just giving you a heads up to help yourself in the future. Here is what I found:
Version 4.87 wrote:Ported Mojang's "fix" (it doesn't appear to always work..but it does help) from 1.6.2 for animals escaping fences or suffocating in blocks during chunk load so that BTW players can benefit from it ahead of time. Note that I've spotted the occasional animal (mostly babies) still escaping fences in both 1.6.2 and with this version of BTW. This doesn't appear to happen on chunk load, but rather as a result of collisions with other animals. Please refer any problems that you may encounter with this to Mojang, as all I've done is duplicate their bug fix here, and it appears the issue is not fully resolved. I'm hoping at the very least it takes care of the random animal suffocation, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
So it appears the bug is less likely, but still around. I heard if you line the pen with fences or glass it resolves the issue. Haven't tested that myself though. So please conduct your own experiments.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

A bit of searching found this, which is still active, so it seems whatever fix mojang implemented didn't fully solve the problem. I'll try putting fences around the outside of the pen; hopefully that will stop the animals from disappearing.
Rob

Post by Rob »

No, you put fences on the inside wall of your pen. Keeping the animals from getting to the full blocks that they are suffocating in.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry if I implied something else.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Seeing grass at your walls: i had the same thing happening to myself, try covering the edge. Maybe zombies glitch through, can't really say what the true reason is since i never seen it happening before my eyes.

So, instead of
_xxxxx
x__
x__

you should have
xxxxx
x__
x__
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I often place sidings on the walls, it prevents them from suffocating and can look nice at the same time.