Simple question-platforms and water

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Deepsniper

Simple question-platforms and water

Post by Deepsniper »

I haven't had a chance to try this yet but do platforms when lowered into water dissipate it?

As in does it go into the water even if the water is still...
grimper12341

Re: Simple question-platforms and water

Post by grimper12341 »

Just tested it over an ocean. Seems the first source block that gets touched by the platform dissipates, but when the platform goes lower the water rushes in from the sides and destroys the rope, stopping the platform.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

Moving platforms pass right through water without problems. They'll destroy the source blocks when they stop moving however.

Rope, on the other hand, is outright destroyed when water collides with it. I spent quite a while trying to make a sinking bridge without any real luck - i found a design that sorted of worked using air pillars for the rope to descend into, but there's no real way to currently make the design work without a really ugly looking water surface - and without providing mobs an easy way to escape (which was my original motivation - creating a bridge that could be lowered to kill any would be nasty liddle creepers or the ilk. A better solution seems to be having one that retracts so it suffocates anything on the bridge - far more easily built)

You can have it come to rest in 1 deep water, destroying the blocks and then have it refill by ensuring there's some source blocks at either end of a bridge.

Hope this helps.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Oh it does thanks :)

I'm planning on building a harbor and thought it would be cool to have a portcullis type gate instead of a complicated piston contraption to keep the mobs out.