Fishing Pier

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jkievlan

Fishing Pier

Post by jkievlan »

I've mentioned a few times here that it's quite possible to fish safely, but I see that there's still a general impression that fishing is dangerous no matter what. So, my friends, here is how you fish safely (given some wood or other building materials and nearby deep water): build a fishing pier. It doubles as a safe entrance to your base, since you can climb the side of the tower then climb down into your base from the top.
Spoiler
Show
ExpHP

Re: Fishing Pier

Post by ExpHP »

Well, now that's just terrifying for an entirely different set of reasons.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

ExpHP wrote:Well, now that's just terrifying for an entirely different set of reasons.
Just don't fall off :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

jkievlan wrote:Just don't fall off :)
Heh.

I will admit, I'm in the high and dry club myself, as well, though I usually build some sort of backboard - both to give me something to stand against, as well as to catch the rare fish that goes just a little bit too high and ends up soaring halfway to china.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

ExpHP wrote:
jkievlan wrote:Just don't fall off :)
Heh.

I will admit, I'm in the high and dry club myself, as well, though I usually build some sort of backboard - both to give me something to stand against, as well as to catch the rare fish that goes just a little bit too high and ends up soaring halfway to china.
Frankly, neither of those things worries me too much. I've gotten very good at not falling off of stuff given it's a death sentence at least 50% of the time. And, if I hold shift and move up to the very edge of the pier, I catch every single fish -- I've never missed one and I've done a lot of fishing.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

or go low tech, low ground and low resources. A diagonal wall level with deep water with a diagonal roof offset just one block high. Video here at about 5:10 shows how I make a quick one. Even if I don't show any successful fishing as the video wasn't about fishing, I successfully fish from it all the time. Just a quick example that currently works.
Spoiler
Show
When you catch a fish it usually flies into one of the wall corners close enough for you to pick it up and the hole is too small for Steve to fit through if hats become a problem.

EDIT: extra info
Last edited by Rawny on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I think I read somewhere that squid won't grab you if you're two blocks above the water. No need to go so high and risk getting killed?

I haven't actually tested that theory, I should.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Gilberreke wrote:I think I read somewhere that squid won't grab you if you're two blocks above the water.
Yes, but the height is good for two reasons. One, skellies can't shoot you but you have total visibility. Two, I can see it from a long way off, so it's easier to find my base again after an HCS.

EDIT: Also, I'm not so sure about just two blocks. Hats have really long arms.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah...two blocks seems very very short, but feel free to experiment ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah...two blocks seems very very short, but feel free to experiment ;)
I've been planning to for a while, but in early game, I stay the hell away from them and once you reach recyclable iron, they stop being a threat and it slips my mind :/

I know it's more then 2 blocks on the horizontal, but I'm sure I heard someone say it's only 2 on the vertical. I'll try to test it next time I play.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: I know it's more then 2 blocks on the horizontal, but I'm sure I heard someone say it's only 2 on the vertical. I'll try to test it next time I play.
Yeah, they were definitely wrong. They may have just gotten lucky and had line of site blocked based on their position (squid under the platform or what have you), but at that height, you will most certainly be grabbed at some point if you stray too close to an edge.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, they were definitely wrong. They may have just gotten lucky and had line of site blocked based on their position (squid under the platform or what have you), but at that height, you will most certainly be grabbed at some point if you stray too close to an edge.
Since these are entity checks, I assume it's a ray trace and that would mean it's strange you would specifically limit the vertical. Hmm, see, that's the problem with people proclaiming stuff all the time on the forums here or on Youtube. I assume they looked it up. I know for sure that someone claimed that and I've always gone with that number.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

As usual, don't want to discuss the code, and I certainly don't want to trash suspension of disbelief by encouraging people to think in those terms, but yes, they were mistaken.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:As usual, don't want to discuss the code, and I certainly don't want to trash suspension of disbelief by encouraging people to think in those terms, but yes, they were mistaken.
Haha, sorry, can't help thinking like that. Apologies.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I think you'll find that hats can stretch to suit almost any fashion trend.

Nowhere is safe.
Spoiler
Show
Though constructing a sandbank to control hat movement may help. Have a few lagoons instead of a full ocean. Fewer to fight off when you get dragged in.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Here you go. Made a quick 30 second video showing my anti-hat safety shelter. It is a spoiler.
*Holy cow! Watch your speakers!
Spoiler
Show

I hope it doesn't get smooshed.
EDIT: Changed the intro to the video.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Sir C

Post by Sir C »

Gilberreke wrote:I think I read somewhere that squid won't grab you if you're two blocks above the water. No need to go so high and risk getting killed?

I haven't actually tested that theory, I should.
I definitely read that somewhere here on the forums too and I greatly regret taking it as fact without a second thought. Any 1 block wide bridges of mine are now at least 5 blocks above the surface of the water. Still don't know if they can grab you from that height since I never dare use them at night, and I have no intention to find out (at least not from first hand experience anyways).
Six

Post by Six »

Sir C wrote:Any 1 block wide bridges of mine are now at least 5 blocks above the surface of the water. Still don't know if they can grab you from that height since I never dare use them at night, and I have no intention to find out (at least not from first hand experience anyways).
As was said earlier, having them not see you is far more important than height. Throw some safety rails on the sides that block the view from the water and they'll be much safer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: As was said earlier, having them not see you is far more important than height. Throw some safety rails on the sides that block the view from the water and they'll be much safer.
This.

A lot of my own bridges are only raised by a block or so over the water, but I have railings on them so I won't be grabbed.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Sry for the necro but I was going through old footage deleting stuff and noticed this...
Compeltly awesome to see and hilarious!

26s long, doo eeet. Worth it!
Moar hats!
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

For fishing, me and my girlfriend built a fishing platform (inspired by treetop deer hunting platforms)

The hats can detect us on top of the tree and will gather in the water below the tree but they can't reach us.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Nikkentobi wrote:For fishing, me and my girlfriend built a fishing platform (inspired by treetop deer hunting platforms)
Oh god, that's one of the better builds I've seen in a long time, that's so pretty :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

Rawny wrote:Here you go. Made a quick 30 second video showing my anti-hat safety shelter. It is a spoiler.
*Holy cow! Watch your speakers!
Spoiler
Show

I hope it doesn't get smooshed.
EDIT: Changed the intro to the video.
This doesn't seem very productive... did I see right that your casts were getting interrupted every time you were grabbed?
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

I had a similar design in one of my earlier bases, but the squid didn't pose too much of an issue; When they did get in the way, it was infrequent enough to not be a significant nuisance; the video depicts an extreme case. And now that HC brewing needs squid glands to make healing potions, using yourself safely as bait while you fish is a good way to obtain an early supply, though inventiveness with water currents will yield an even more effective trap.
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

Gilberreke wrote:
Nikkentobi wrote:For fishing, me and my girlfriend built a fishing platform (inspired by treetop deer hunting platforms)
Oh god, that's one of the better builds I've seen in a long time, that's so pretty :)
Thanks, i'll be sure to pass the compliment to her, as she's the one who came up with most of the design and decorations while i'm in charge for the mechanical and "redstone stuff" (her language)....