Building Mid Game

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
JakeZKAM

Building Mid Game

Post by JakeZKAM »

So I recently made my first kiln/crucible in my newest (and hopefully last) world and I'm running into a similar issue I had in the last one... I'm not sure what to build next before I hit the End. Early game I managed to get everything done and took my time. There was a very clear sense of urgency of what I needed to make next before my food/tools/patience ran out, now with the only pressure being the mobs outside my perimeter I'm not sure what to make now XD, any suggestions?
Gilberreke

Re: Building Mid Game

Post by Gilberreke »

Well, what we found out is that arrows are nice to have, so some sort of system to make arrow making less intensive would be fun, like a proper feather farm.

Finding a way to deck out in full iron armor for the end can be a task too. You can either start a mob-farm or clear out an abandoned mineshaft.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

I just got to around the same stage, and the next thing I did was expand out my farming plots for a more intensive style...with the added benefit of reducing squid attacks :P

My next plan is to make a small chicken battery farm for infinite eggs. Ideally I'd like to automate pig breeding too ( I have the stuff to make chocolate) but for now just the eggs will do.

Other things on my to do list are exploring for villagers/wheat/carrots/potatoes/vessels/enchanting table/brewing stand and then making related buildings. And mob traps.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Yeah Jake i think a Mobtrap is probably the next big step. Finding the brewing stands and the enchanting tables to benefit from the Mobtrap's experience would make the End trip a lot smoother.

I found myself in pretty much the same situation. I have seeds and chickens to sustain my need for food, a couple of cows and sheep for renewable wool and milk. I am trying to hunt for enderman lately and my effords have been unsuccessful, when i kill one they normally teleport with their loot underground or simply vanish.

To pass the time i've been building pretty! Like windmills that burn by lighting and useless houses =(

I will get off my ass and build a mob trap eventually
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Don't forget to build a Bloodwood Tree Sanctuary (not farm! never farm Bloodwood trees).

Developing the nether in general is a good idea. Build multiple bases all connected by nether portals incase your first attempts at killing the dragon turn sour. You can usually set up these bases at the same time as your hunt for villages/temples.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Mud

Post by Mud »

EpicAaron wrote:(not farm! never farm Bloodwood trees).
Could you elaborate? I had a Bloodwood farm on my own to-do list...
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

That hibachi makes building materials significantly easier to access. (Right now I'm at the same stage)

Expand your base- unlocking the end opens up a lot of heavy automating which needs a fair bit of space. If you know where you want to stick things, set up the foundation/water channels/power couplings ect.
Are your current tree/hemp farms big enough to undergo a rapid expansion?

Nether tunnels are one thing- but constructing proper tunnels along the main routes will make your life a lot easier (cement is awesome)
Certainly a tunnel or safe overworld path between the spawn and your base is key- imagine conquering the end then losing that egg on the walk home.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Mud wrote:
EpicAaron wrote:(not farm! never farm Bloodwood trees).
Could you elaborate? I had a Bloodwood farm on my own to-do list...
I believe he is merely been around the Bloodwood too long.. [Blinks Sharply]

No, no he's right we must build a sanctuary for everyone to experience the Bloodwood in it's truest form. Only then can one truthfully know happiness, remember the Bloodwood is our friend and only wants us to become one with it better friends. Yes much better friends.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

No bloodwood farm? Then whats the point of even.... No wait I see, it all makes sense now. Praise Yggdrasil!

In all seriousness though thanks for the ideas guys, I'm past my builders block :P I started work on a hemp greenhouse so I can remove the paddies I have in my beautiful shallow pond. I'm near a huge forest so tree farms aren't too much of an issue although it would be fun to build as well. For the long term I think my transportation networks would be a good idea as well as a first mobtrap. I don't know if there's anything I can automate before getting sfs is there? If not I can always make some cool piston based contraptions that just make harvesting easier :P.
eternal8phoenix

You can automate animal feeding with regular dispensers on a timer of some sort. Eggs and poop at the very least can be easily automated.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

There's also always vanilla BUDs if you don't find those too cheaty, which can be combined with lenses as a pre-end alternative to block/item detectors. This can be VERY useful for certain kinds of automation.

Also, I highly reccomend an automated chicken farm for feathers. I can take screenshots of an old design I made in creative awhile ago if you'd like.
eternal8phoenix

abculatter_2 wrote:There's also always vanilla BUDs if you don't find those too cheaty, which can be combined with lenses as a pre-end alternative to block/item detectors. This can be VERY useful for certain kinds of automation.

Also, I highly reccomend an automated chicken farm for feathers. I can take screenshots of an old design I made in creative awhile ago if you'd like.
When there is a BUDDY Block in the game, the vanilla BUD is pretty much a cheat since it lets you bypass a large amount of game-play. Like you said, you'd use it to bypass end-game tech.

Auto-feather farms are probs not a bad shout though. Especially with how demonically fun they've become since we've had nothing to worry about ;)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

abculatter_2 wrote:There's also always vanilla BUDs if you don't find those too cheaty, which can be combined with lenses as a pre-end alternative to block/item detectors. This can be VERY useful for certain kinds of automation.

Vanilla BUDs are by their very nature exploits. They are glitchy, extremely cheaty, and not intended in any way. Buddy blocks serve to legitimize this, but that only makes vanilla BUDs even worse, as they bypass a large part of the tech tree, since there actually is a legitimate way to utilize BUD functionality, introduced in the late game.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I'll pass on the vanilla bud idea although I would be interested to see your auto chicken farm :). I have an idea for a design using Pistons and falling pumpkins with a little bit of nothing to worry about mixed in ;).
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

abculatter_2 wrote:There's also always vanilla BUDs if you don't find those too cheaty
There's also vanilla commands if you don't find those too cheaty. I heard you can even spawn in water source blocks and diamonds if you don't find those too cheaty.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

^^ What Gil said. Cheating is cheating. "There's always killing humans for food if you don't find that too murdery."
Mud

Post by Mud »

I'm rather curious about the response toward vMC BUD switches... they still require more space than a Buddy Block, and thus the latter remains preferable to the former for the sake of compact building. How is the a vMC BUD switch anywhere as cheaty as Commands?
eternal8phoenix

Depends on whether you view cheating as binary or as a sliding scale. Personally think comparing it to commands is a bit much, since unlike commands it requires at least some effort. However it IS still cheating, since the functionality already exists elsewhere in the game and in using the vanilla bud you are bypassing a large amount of game-play at a significantly lower resource cost (space being kinda worthless in a near infinite world).

BUT by a binary perspective it is cheating, as are commands. At the end of the day they are both not legit game-play and are comparable. Just like at the end of the day if a vase breaks, it is just as broken and just as much your fault if you threw it on the floor or just left it perched on the edge of the shelf.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Mud wrote:How is the a vMC BUD switch anywhere as cheaty as Commands?
They both have the same result: you skip a big part of the BTW tech tree and get access to resources you're not supposed to have.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

I'm curious whether you consider a redstone torch timer cheaty as well gil. I'm skipping all that gold requirement after all.

Frankly I find all this talk about using in game techniques in a clever manner being "cheaty" to be a bit disturbing. There's more than one way to accomplish a goal you know.
eternal8phoenix

DNoved1 wrote:I'm curious whether you consider a redstone torch timer cheaty as well gil. I'm skipping all that gold requirement after all.

Frankly I find all this talk about using in game techniques in a clever manner being "cheaty" to be a bit disturbing. There's more than one way to accomplish a goal you know.
Out of curiosity do you consider string-obsidian generators to be legitimate game-play as well? Personally I feel that you get a very valuable and otherwise nonrenewable resource for practical nothing, since string is pretty much worthless the second you build a mob-trap. Therefore, I feel like I'm cheating. It would be the same if there was a diamond duplication glitch. Technically it is an in game technique....but it's also cheating yourself of the toil of the hunt for diamonds.
ion

Post by ion »

what he does on his computer on his free time isn't cheating at all. he enjoys the game and the most important thing is to have fun.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Upgrading resources is standard fare. It is accepted that a player can take rotten flesh, bones, and sugar to make kibble and therefore dung, a more valuable resource. Producing obsidian is much the same.

Aside from that, I don't see how doing such allows you to skip diamonds, or any part of the tech tree at all. It requires a functional mob trap, a fair amount of redstone, and a block dispenser. Secondly, obsidian is a mostly decorative block, really. It has no functional use aside from portals and super-durable buildings. The first requires only ten pieces (most definitely not worth the building process of making an obsidian generator) while the second is much more easily accomplished by simply not allowing destructive hostiles near your base in the first place.

All in all, I consider obsidian generators less useful than stone generators, which I think are a well accepted method here.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Yeah theres a huge differens between cheaty buds and obsidian generators.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm really disappointed that mojang hasn't fixed the obsidian generator bug... It was cheating when it was redstone and it's cheating even moreso now.