General BTW "Let's Play"s thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Six

General BTW "Let's Play"s thread

Post by Six »

I thought I'd make a general purpose thread for people to share new BTW LP videos they find and like. I've been trawling youtube a lot recently keeping my eye out for them, as I am just so addicted to seeing how new people react to the design elements in BTW.

Anyway, this one just popped up and has a number of great moments in it:

It's a group of people with only one who knows the mod well, and the one filming knowing little more than BTW being 'super hard to play'. So they know what they are getting into, but they seriously do not know what they are getting into :P
Epsilon

Re: General BTW "Let's Play"s thread

Post by Epsilon »

I hope I'm allowed to just comment this one, or is this thread reserved for LP posts?

Well, it's so funny to see their vanilla behavior. I'm hungry, lets eat this raw pork; what? Food poison? wtf!
It also hurt me quite a lot to see him burn his food by constantly running and jumping... vanillas.

Thank you for that one, it gave me a good laugh.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, that one was hysterical. Total chaos :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I love how he's sprint-jumping around even after two HCS deaths.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I love how he's sprint-jumping around even after two HCS deaths.
I'm a bit surprised none of them seemed to get grabbed by a squid. He was sprint jumping around water an awful lot too ;)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Haha noobs. I love how he jumps across flat ground :)

I have to say though, I can't help admiring how they refuse to get discouraged...
barcode

Post by barcode »

I'll be experiencing that first-hand tomorrow night as well and am quite curious how it'll play out and if everyone will stick with it. There is one guy who has played BTW with me before, although that was before all the hardcore changes to the early game were implemented... I plan on making a let's play out of it, but it is going to be a German one so for most of you it won't be quite as enjoyable. I will be sharing some of the more outstanding experiences/hickups here if you don't mind, maybe even post a video on it, we'll see...
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I didn't think it would possible to accidentally reach starvation before the end of the first day. Hilarious and cringe worthy at the same time.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Six

Post by Six »

milkmandan wrote:I didn't think it would possible to accidentally reach starvation before the end of the first day. Hilarious and cringe worthy at the same time.
I love watching people helplessly pap away at animals with their fist when hungry, and the animal just stares back at them while they try to work out what is going on. It was also one of the best 'first nights' I've seen, so much chaos going on. It'll be interesting to see if the recorder can manage to make it back to the other guy just through tips and instructions over voice chat. He at least seemed to be getting on track by the end with the wood punching.
Epsilon wrote:I hope I'm allowed to just comment this one, or is this thread reserved for LP posts?
I just wanted a general thread to put new videos I found, and the resulting discussions and comments are half the fun. Plus giving the good ones more views and visibility tends to encourage them to play more ;)
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Lol stop jumping! I'll have to put them on my to watch more of list.

I also watch MagikEh. He's got a long series and each episode is on average 30 minutes, perfect for lunch.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MagikEh/videos

and I started watching SockThing when I caught him in a live stream a few days back.
https://www.youtube.com/user/sockthinggaming/videos

I tend to like the mellow stuff and avoid chaotic screamy stuff but living the noob life vicariously through the players in the OP was fun.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Six

Post by Six »

So I stumbled upon another which somehow slipped me by the other week. Note that the video recording setup is kind of odd (with him just recording his whole desktop), the audio picks up a lot of computer noise and no game audio, and his computer is pretty slow and sluggish. However the player himself is pretty interesting, going in very blind and yet taking things in stride. What I found super interesting as well, is he also recorded pulling up the wiki when he wanted to find things out, which is something I've never actually seen someone do. Nice to see how someone completely fresh goes about trying to find out info.

I'm only part way though this first episode, but there are 10 episodes all up so far, so I guess even with his small complaints he sticks with it.

EDIT:
Burnt through a few more episodes, he pretty much keeps trying the same stuff for the first four episodes; punching and chasing animals, eating meat raw, not getting enough wood to get going and getting killed at night. Jump to episode five if you want to see some more progress, which is when he's actually gone and watched a video of how to survive the very early game.
Western-Knight

Post by Western-Knight »

My first time playing BTW after about a year, I got nabbed by a squid... It scared the shit out of me. I was punching a swamp tree down, got launched up into the air and then the squid got me. I didn't even see him, I had NO idea what was going on until I saw the tentacles and teeth while I was punching the darkness and freaking out.
A knight without armor in a savage land.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Shameless Self Promotion.

There’s some TRIVIA at the end of this 5 minute episode. Took a good while for me to figure it out but it made for some good and funny footage. How well do you know BTW? Maybe comment bellow in spoilers, or a thumbs up if you figured it out.
Episode 20: http://youtu.be/TTdIGvVnp5k

The episode above is number 20 of a very ADD series. At first I was trying a bunch of different video strategies to find one that suited me most and the series almost came to an end on a couple occasions. BREAKING BAD even makes an appearance as marathon'ing this TV show disrupted things. I seem to have settled on a style I like in the later episodes.
Episode 01: http://youtu.be/VmBa8wLCzPA

Try it out. Give it a chance. Maybe you’ll like it, maybe you won’t… its just another BTW series.

TY
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I just uploaded my first test video to youtube :) you can find it here

I hope it turns out okay, tell me what you think :)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The hunt for diamonds :D
So much good play from this point on, thank you for sharing. Would be great so see how things progress!

Video and audio were good. If you were looking to start structured LP videos your voice should be well suited as long as the viewer can continue to tell you are having fun.
Six

Post by Six »

Rawny wrote:Shameless Self Promotion.
I love your videos man, you and Huntanor have some of the longest running and most enjoyable BTW videos that get regularly updated. Link to Huntanor's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Huntanor/videos

Also, on a more international note, there's been a recent new French BTW player pop up. He knows the ropes, but seems to miss some of the things from beyond early game (like making ham and eggs or sandwiches from dungeon bread). However he has made the crazy choice of playing on Hardcore, which I have to admit makes things a lot more tense. He's a good player though, and because of the perma-death he knows when it's time to wall himself in to regenerate health. And just a small note; it's all in French.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/cagnouto/videos
Gunnerman21 wrote:I just uploaded my first test video to youtube :) you can find it here

I hope it turns out okay, tell me what you think :)
Nice one, but as a regular BTW LP searcher could I request that somewhere in the description you put the full words 'Better Than Wolves'? As it stands the video is pretty much unsearchable, due to all the other stuff that shows up when searching 'BTW'.
Mud

Post by Mud »

I enjoyed the LP in the OP for more than one reason. It's also nice that it was only 1 or 2 versions behind.

I wish there were more solo BTW LP videos out there. I'm still trying to find my groove in early game and like watching how other people handle the first couple of days.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

THIS one is for you ko_teknik!
You've got some fans here! Keep up the good videos and stop running and jumping... mind you you're good on food now.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

oh oh oh thx Rawny and six !
This make me happy ;o)
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Mud wrote: I wish there were more solo BTW LP videos out there. I'm still trying to find my groove in early game and like watching how other people handle the first couple of days.
Maybe you want to check out my LP if you haven't yet? (Nearly all episodes are Livestream footage)
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Mud

Post by Mud »

Sockthing wrote: Maybe you want to check out my LP if you haven't yet? (Nearly all episodes are Livestream footage)
Neat! I'd watched your lifestream a few times, didn't realize there were recordings. Powerstream time!
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Mud wrote: Neat! I'd watched your lifestream a few times, didn't realize there were recordings. Powerstream time!
:D Awesome! Enjoy.
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Sockthing wrote:
Mud wrote: Neat! I'd watched your lifestream a few times, didn't realize there were recordings. Powerstream time!
:D Awesome! Enjoy.
Just finished your first video, and I'm quickly realizing I'm unnecessarily cautious; I flip out if I don't have a furnace by nightfall, and here you are just plugging away throughout the night, in an open cave, without crafting one at all.

You're crazy.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Mud wrote: You're crazy.
I think I am
Mud

Post by Mud »

7 episodes in now; your building habits are pretty ambitious! I'm also glad to see you trap animals once you've secured a location for your settlement. I do the same (despite being told it's unnecessary)