A weird missing file on my computer (Ghost File?)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Shadowhawk36

A weird missing file on my computer (Ghost File?)

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Hey, I need some general tech support from you guys. On my Windows 7 computer, I've had this sort of 'ghost file' that has been present on my computer for about a year now. It's really peculiar. It was made in my Minecraft directory, and is unable to be deleted, copied, or anything of those sorts. I can move it to most anywhere except for the recycle bin, which replies with an error message that the item cannot be found, and that it may have been deleted or removed.

Does anybody have any experience with something like this? This confuses me greatly. I could just store it in a file somewhere, but I would favor to know about why it does this.
Crazylemon64

Re: A weird missing file on my computer (Ghost File?)

Post by Crazylemon64 »

Helpful information to include with this would be:

* What is the file called?
* Does anything at all visibly happen when you try to interact with the file?
* When did you notice the file was "Ghosting"?
* Does interacting with it in the terminal yield any useful messages?
* If you're able to view the file's properties, what are they?

Without information like this, most non-telepathic people will be stuck in the dark if they want to help you.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I actually had this once due to a minecraft adventure map zip file. For whatever reason, I couldn't do a damn thing to the folder once unzipped. Couldn't delete it, rename it, move it, or anything. I googled it a ton of times trying to figure out how to be rid of it but nothing I tried worked. So I just ignored it?

The only reason I don't have it anymore is that I wiped the hard drive it was on. >_>
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

This is likely an NTFS permissions issue. As an administrator, take ownership of the file. Then, give yourself "full control" permission. Then delete the file.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

whitechaos35 wrote:This is likely an NTFS permissions issue. As an administrator, take ownership of the file. Then, give yourself "full control" permission. Then delete the file.
I only recently switched from XP to 7 and all this permissions BS really does my head in, particularly when I'm the only one who uses my PC. Like, um, thanks for protecting me against myself I guess?

'You do not have permission to modify this file'

'FUCK YOU! I CREATED YOU ASSHOLE!'

Back to the point, I believe this can also occur with bad sectors. Moving the directory of the file won't modify its position on the actual drive, so it may just be a corrupted file sitting on a bad sector.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Also, explorer doesn't really like folders starting with a . in its name (.minecraft in your case). Most times it will be fine but for some stuff it just doesn't work. So you should try removing the file with the command window (shift right click in your folder on an empty space and select "open command window here"). The command you're looking for is "del".
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Sorry for the long delay of a response, shouldn't happen again. I'll add a picture shortly, but I'll just answer most of your questions before then so this can be resolved quicker.
Crazylemon64 wrote:Helpful information to include with this would be:

* What is the file called?
* Does anything at all visibly happen when you try to interact with the file?
* When did you notice the file was "Ghosting"?
* Does interacting with it in the terminal yield any useful messages?
* If you're able to view the file's properties, what are they?

Without information like this, most non-telepathic people will be stuck in the dark if they want to help you.
* The file is called "tmp_ntwch_Van Down by the River!" (Without quotations of course, and excuse the silly name. I was having some stupid SNL fun one night with a ton of mods.)
* When I try to open it with a program of my choice, (all of the ones available, actually) nothing happens. No error message, not even a visual attempt.
* I noticed it when I was making regular backups by the "this file could not be found" message, and was just skipping it all this time. I first noticed it around October of 2012.
* Interacting with it in the terminal yields the same "cannot be found" error.
* Properties:
Type of file: File
Description: tmp_ntwch_Van Down by the River!
Location: C:\Users\REDACTED\Desktop\mc (this is actually where I moved it from my .Minecraft)
Size and Size on disk: 0 bytes
Created, Modified, and Access: (Blank)
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

And did you try my suggestion?
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

I remember having a similar problem, except the directory in my instance was .\wine_drive_c:\ (I was backing up a friend's linux computer with scp, and it locked me out of the folder because Windows couldn't find a hard drive to that name). The solution that I used was to boot into linux (use a live CD if you do not have it), mount the drive, select the file, and delete it.

Try white's suggestion first before you try this, but just in case:

To make it easier to understand:

1. Boot into linux using a Live CD/USB (instructions on how to do that are everywhere)
2. Mount your hard drive either via the file manager, or terminal using "sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt"
(X is your hard drive in boot order. If you have one drive, than use "a". Likewise, Y is your partition number. If Windows was installed first, than "2" is your drive with your data on it. To confirm, type "sudo fdisk -l" (lowercase L), and it will give you a grid. the largest being your data.)
You will see this. On my drive, sda2 is my data drive
Show
3. In the file manager, go to /mnt/Users/REDACTED/Desktop/, then delete the ghost file.
4. (optional, but recommended) Unmount the drive either by right clicking on the drive in the side window and selecting "eject," or in terminal, type "sudo umount /mnt
5. Reboot, pop out the CD/USB and go back into windows.

NOTE: Sorry for the rushed looking tutorial, but I am in the middle of class when I saw this thread. There are other methods, but this is the one that I had learned from the beginning.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

whitechaos35 wrote:2. Mount your hard drive either via the file manager, or terminal using "sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt"
Just to point out, when using mount, the target directory (in this case /mnt) must exist, and must be empty. If it isn't (which it likely won't be if you use a USB), you can make a new directory with e.g. 'sudo mkdir /mnt/c' and use that folder when mounting.

I'd also be interested in seeing the output of 'ls -lai' when you're inside the directory with the file.

Also, basic question: Have you tried running 'chkdsk' as administrator in a console on Windows? :P
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

whitechaos35 wrote:This is likely an NTFS permissions issue. As an administrator, take ownership of the file. Then, give yourself "full control" permission. Then delete the file.
ExpHP wrote:
whitechaos35 wrote:2. Mount your hard drive either via the file manager, or terminal using "sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt"
Just to point out, when using mount, the target directory (in this case /mnt) must exist, and must be empty. If it isn't (which it likely won't be if you use a USB), you can make a new directory with e.g. 'sudo mkdir /mnt/c' and use that folder when mounting.

I'd also be interested in seeing the output of 'ls -lai' when you're inside the directory with the file.

Also, basic question: Have you tried running 'chkdsk' as administrator in a console on Windows? :P
I just tried to give myself administrative powers in the console, but its responding with a Logon Failure: unknown username or bad password. I entered the information correctly, any advice?
(Sorry, as of right now, I'm away from home, so I won't be able to check the advice any of you wonderful people give to me until I get home.)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Shadowhawk36 wrote:I just tried to give myself administrative powers in the console, but its responding with a Logon Failure: unknown username or bad password. I entered the information correctly, any advice?
(Sorry, as of right now, I'm away from home, so I won't be able to check the advice any of you wonderful people give to me until I get home.)
Not familiar with that error message. Judging from Google results, it looks like you're trying to use runas?

If this is your personal computer (which is what I've been assuming), then you shouldn't need to do that. Assuming you just have the one user account on it, all you need to do to open a console as administrator is this:
1. Open the Start menu
2. Type 'cmd' (without quotes).
3. Do one of the following:
(a) Right click it and select "Run as administrator...", or
(b) Hold Control and Shift, and left click it.
4. It will ask to confirm (it may also ask for your password, depending on your settings).
5. You're now running the console with elevated priviledges, and will be allowed to use commands like chkdsk.
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

ExpHP wrote:
Shadowhawk36 wrote:I just tried to give myself administrative powers in the console, but its responding with a Logon Failure: unknown username or bad password. I entered the information correctly, any advice?
Not familiar with that error message. Judging from Google results, it looks like you're trying to use runas?

If this is your personal computer (which is what I've been assuming), then you shouldn't need to do that. Assuming you just have the one user account on it, all you need to do to open a console as administrator is this:
1. Open the Start menu
2. Type 'cmd' (without quotes).
3. Do one of the following:
(a) Right click it and select "Run as administrator...", or
(b) Hold Control and Shift, and left click it.
4. It will ask to confirm (it may also ask for your password, depending on your settings).
5. You're now running the console with elevated priviledges, and will be allowed to use commands like chkdsk.
I just did chkdsk, and there were no bad sectors or bad files.
I know this seems like a stupid question, but where would I take ownership of it? As in, would I use the command console, properties, or some form of anything like that? Sorry for being dumb at this stuff, guys. I try :P
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

Shadowhawk36 wrote: I know this seems like a stupid question, but where would I take ownership of it? As in, would I use the command console, properties, or some form of anything like that? Sorry for being dumb at this stuff, guys. I try :P
Trust me, it is not a stupid question. I volunteer at my old high school as an assistant sysadmin, and I can no longer count how many times I get the question of "How do I log in?," or "My computer is slow, so it must have a virus. Fix it for me!" This tutorial is a good place to start. If you get lost, it includes detailed screenshots as well.
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Nabetsu122 wrote:
Shadowhawk36 wrote: I know this seems like a stupid question, but where would I take ownership of it? As in, would I use the command console, properties, or some form of anything like that? Sorry for being dumb at this stuff, guys. I try :P
Trust me, it is not a stupid question. I volunteer at my old high school as an assistant sysadmin, and I can no longer count how many times I get the question of "How do I log in?," or "My computer is slow, so it must have a virus. Fix it for me!" This tutorial is a good place to start. If you get lost, it includes detailed screenshots as well.
Thanks a bloody ton. This will help a lot.
And thank all of the others who helped me this far :)

EDIT: Just tried this, already have full control of the folder that's holding the file, but the file itself doesn't have security properties. Like, at all. It just says "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed." And when I tried this:
If you feel that above process is a little too long, and prefer to use command line to perform above process, then open an elevated command prompt as administrator, and issues the following commands:

For Files:

takeown /f file_name /d y
icacls file_name /grant administrators:F
I got a different response from both commands. From the first one, I got the error: "ERROR: /D should be specified only with /R." (and to be sure, I tried takeown /r file_name /d y but it said that I was using the command invalidly.) When I tried the second command, It said "tmp_ntwch_Van_Down_by_the_River!: The system cannot find the file specified. Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files"
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

Shadowhawk36 wrote:
If you feel that above process is a little too long, and prefer to use command line to perform above process, then open an elevated command prompt as administrator, and issues the following commands:

For Files:

takeown /f file_name /d y
icacls file_name /grant administrators:F
I got a different response from both commands. From the first one, I got the error: "ERROR: /D should be specified only with /R." (and to be sure, I tried takeown /r file_name /d y but it said that I was using the command invalidly.) When I tried the second command, It said "tmp_ntwch_Van_Down_by_the_River!: The system cannot find the file specified. Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files"
As a test, I borrowed my friend's computer and tested the commands. Try the first command, minus the second argument (/D y); the prompt is for multiple files/folders in conjunction with /R (recursive), which goes down the child folders and modifies them.
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Nabetsu122 wrote:As a test, I borrowed my friend's computer and tested the commands. Try the first command, minus the second argument (/D y); the prompt is for multiple files/folders in conjunction with /R (recursive), which goes down the child folders and modifies them.
Just tried it, came up with "ERROR: The system cannot find the file specified." Gotten that error many times before. Should I try your earlier method? And if so, would you mind giving me a walkthrough of how to boot into Linux using a Live CD/USB? I know you said they were everywhere, but it looks awfully complex. Once again, thanks for complying with my semi-derpiness at technical issues :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

There's a couple of tools floating around, but here's what I do:

1. Get Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
These days most computers ought to be able to do 64 bit, but if you're unsure what you have, get 32 bit. Or install whatever version you installed for Windows (follow this to find out if Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit). Skip donating by scrolling to the bottom. (sorry, Canonical!) It will download as an ISO.

2. Download Linux Live USB Creator: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/. Install it.

3. Start Linux Live USB Creator.
Under step 1, select your USB stick.
Under step 2, pick ISO/IMG/ZIP and pick the Ubuntu ISO.
IIRC 3 asks how much space to reserve for persistent memory. Giving it a few megs isn't a bad idea (so it can e.g. remember wifi settings), but there's really no need to.
Step 4: I usually uncheck "enable launching in Windows." Besides, it wouldn't help you here (you cannot unmount the C: drive in windows)
Step 5: Click the... um, lightning bolt. >_>

It'll run for a while, and then open up a webpage (which you can safely close and ignore).

4. Reboot. But before you do... are you familiar with your computer's BIOS? If so, good. Make the computer boot from USB.
If not, um... watch your screen carefully when it boots up to see which keys do things, and try to figure out how to select a boot device.
If that fails, reboot your computer again, and then mash all of the F# keys, Esc, Enter, and Delete until your computer does something different. :D
But don't break it! :(

5. When Ubuntu loads, you will have the option to Try it out without installing. The file explorer can be opened from the panel on the left, and a console can be opened by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T.
(Ctrl+Alt+Arrow keys also make you move around. Wheee!)
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

ExpHP wrote:There's a couple of tools floating around, but here's what I do:

1. Get Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Well shit bro, 700 megabytes? I appreciate the trustworthy method, but my internet is dial-up that downloads about 3 kilobytes every couple of seconds. That rounds off to about 2,100,00 seconds or 35,000 hours. Thanks, I appreciate it, I really do, but I definitely won't be able to do this at home.
ExpHP wrote:(Ctrl+Alt+Arrow keys also make you move around. Wheee!)
Although this sounds as fun as some AAA titles.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Shadowhawk36 wrote:Well shit bro, 700 megabytes? I appreciate the trustworthy method, but my internet is dial-up that downloads about 3 kilobytes every couple of seconds. That rounds off to about 2,100,00 seconds or 35,000 hours. Thanks, I appreciate it, I really do, but I definitely won't be able to do this at home.
Dial-up in 2013? Wow. Recent surveys in my country revealed that about 1 person in 10,000 still was on dial-up. I feel for you :(
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

Gilberreke wrote:Dial-up in 2013? Wow. Recent surveys in my country revealed that about 1 person in 10,000 still was on dial-up. I feel for you :(
If you listen to the recent news in the US, there are "studies" by "professionals" stating that around 30% are still using dial-up (FOX news reported it, and forgot to actually read the article where it states otherwise, so... yeah) Percentage source with correct numbers. (Yes, I like to cite my sources. Blame my Published Literature professor)
Shadowhawk36 wrote:Well shit bro, 700 megabytes? I appreciate the trustworthy method, but my internet is dial-up that downloads about 3 kilobytes every couple of seconds. That rounds off to about 2,100,00 seconds or 35,000 hours. Thanks, I appreciate it, I really do, but I definitely won't be able to do this at home.
There is another distro that you can use called Damn Small Linux, which is only 50MB. Granted, it will still take a while, but it is more manageable with your connection.

EDIT: forgot to include the distro link: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

Nabetsu122 wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:Dial-up in 2013? Wow. Recent surveys in my country revealed that about 1 person in 10,000 still was on dial-up. I feel for you :(
If you listen to the recent news in the US, there are "studies" by "professionals" stating that around 30% are still using dial-up (FOX news reported it, and forgot to actually read the article where it states otherwise, so... yeah) Percentage source with correct numbers. (Yes, I like to cite my sources. Blame my Published Literature professor)
There is another distro that you can use called Damn Small Linux, which is only 50MB. Granted, it will still take a while, but it is more manageable with your connection.

EDIT: forgot to include the distro link: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
As for the ISP availability, stuff like Verizon and other companies are available. But they are really expensive for so little data usage. If I were to get a high-speed internet service, I would want it to be DSL, which isn't available where I live.
Back on top, thanks for the download, I'll post back when I'm done trying the help given here. That'll be sometime later tomorrow, though.
0player

Post by 0player »

You can try TinyCoreLinux, which is way slimmer than Ubuntu and more than enough for your purposes.