Tree farm (Possible Spoiler)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Curzon

Tree farm (Possible Spoiler)

Post by Curzon »

Today I start building me tree farm. I build first row and plant a sapling, when i finished second row two trees was grown. And i do not know that is affected by light block or simple a bug?
Spoiler
Show
jorgebonafe

Re: Tree farm (Possible Spoiler)

Post by jorgebonafe »

I think you probably just got really really lucky... It happens, on occasion.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

I like the design of the building in the background on the left there.
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

jorgebonafe wrote:I think you probably just got really really lucky... It happens, on occasion.
Maybe, but few other sapling are in final stage and this took me about an hour.

Kalbuck wrote:I like the design of the building in the background on the left there.
Thanks, this variation of my first building in minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I don't know why you'd even suspect a bug here man. Where's the problem?
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

This thread just saved my ass from a probable ban =P I was about to note that it was odd that all other plants have ways to increase growth but trees and ask why bonemeal cant be used on them like the other plants... Silly me.

I should know by now that FC is always a good 3 or 4 steps in front of my thought process, and if i find something misplaced its probably intended
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ummmm...no. I'm not implying any relation between saplings and light blocks. What I'm saying is that a sample set of 2 in something that has a high degree of variance (such as all plant growth in MC), does not make for a valid reason to suspect a bug.

Jorge had it right in his first response.

Bonemeal doesn't work on trees because it would be a big pain in the ass for me to set it up to work on both grass and dirt blocks as well as the tilled earth it works on now. I've got such a mention on a todo list somewhere, but it's got a question mark next to it both due to the time investment that would be involved for either very little, or even negative gain considering we've just got to the point where trees take a significant time to grow encouraging large tree farms and deforestation.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Ow...Well thats awkward... I'll just, you know... leave now =(
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Six

Post by Six »

And just a note: We do have a way to 'speed up tree growth', with the wonderful abomination that is bloodwood. Delicious gooey screaming bloodwood.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

In case it wasn't clear, trees basically roll the dice every tick to see if they grow. The time something takes can be varied by making something more or less probable. To have a tree grow that quickly has a very low chance of happening as you would have to roll an improbable result four times in quick succession but it can certainly happen.
Better is the enemy of Good
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

I start my world when changes to the trees was already implemented to BTW. So far I completely relied on natural forest and only information what I can find on how long trees grow was "really long time" or "forever". So I expected that first tree will grow after several hours. Yes, my bad but now i know what type and how big farm I need. Thanks for informations.
caiman123

Post by caiman123 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't planters still work as bonemeal, and can't they also grow trees?
ion

Post by ion »

apart for blood trees that grows very fast the rest are not worth the time and resources invested into building a tree farm. my take is just spam saplings everywhere and chop them after. more saplings more lucky strikes. also for those that tried to make big oak trees grow(using different tehniques), forget about it and just build the tree by hand. if a sapling doesn't have the chooses to grow a little tree and doesn't have the space it reverts back to the first stage. it will grow eventually, but the time is really very big. for me was 1 RL week.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:if a sapling doesn't have the chooses to grow a little tree and doesn't have the space it reverts back to the first stage.
That sounds like a bug man.