RimWorld

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
kregoth

RimWorld

Post by kregoth »

It's been awhile since I posted a game that I think is worth looking at.

Rimworld is a space colony management game. If you favorite part about Dwarf Fortress is the stories that you can tell, then this is a very distilled version of it. It's focused on the storytelling aspect, it's about trying to help 3 survivors survive the worst possible conditions.

As for the games current Pre-Alpha? It's impressive for what little content there is. I have really enjoyed playing it a lot, it's much more focused. Even though there's very little variety, I still played it for several hours. You arrest people, fight off insane rats, Defend against raiders. You have to fix shit that breaks to keep things running. You never know what going to happen, nor how often. But it will always be fun and challenging, sometimes they just won't survive.

If you want Dwarf Fortress like stories, without the needlessly overly complex simulation go get this game. So far the dev is pretty impressive, he actually has real game design sense.

EDIT: If you want to find more video's of the game and are to lazy to search youtube. Go look at the games forums here http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=8.0
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
lostone1993

Re: RimWorld

Post by lostone1993 »

Gonna have look at this, I liked that video alot

I always liked DF however the user interface would always turn me off

also I really like the sci-fi vibe I am getting
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

This does look pretty interesting. I held off pulling the trigger on kick starter because of the suspicious visual similarity to prison architect. I hear the look is a place holder but it was enough to make me wait. Hope it develops well and I might grab it on steam.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've been playing it myself, streaming the results (highlights here). So far, I've spent about 4 hours, and have had three colonies die to raiders (although I savescummed to continue on with the latest one).

Pretty cool game. I've been playing on the "Cassandra Classic" setting, and it seems to give me a fairly reasonable challenge - two of the times I've failed were because I didn't properly defend the colony, and the other time was because I just couldn't get enough food for the colony.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

very addictive, pretty easy to pick up too

spent maybe 3 hours and lost 3-4 colony's

I like that every time I lost a colony it was always my fault for some reason

I am currently working defence, this area seems like it could use some work though
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
AdmiralJonB

Post by AdmiralJonB »

I really like this game, although there is still a long way to go imo. The story tellers... aren't that good in my opinion. It's nice to see the constant updates to them, but from what I gather they seem to just generate a series of random events without really looking at your colony. You could just put it down that I suck :), but I think there's a bit more to my thoughts than that.

My idea of what the story teller should be doing is providing events based on the state of your colony. Obviously there are different difficulty levels, but pretty much every video and every time I've played it, things are over because of bad luck in the events. Just as an example, the number of raiders just seem to increase without regards to how you're doing. If I'm later on in the game, and I'm low on metals and colony members, it still seems more likely the story teller (no matter which one, except Phoebie) will throw a wave of enemies more than doubling your own. Arguably, one could say that I just suck at the game and get better, but in my opinion this is where a `story teller' or an ai should be different than an a plain event generator.

I feel that a story teller should be one that keeps the story going for as long as it can. That doesn't mean I don't think player should be allowed to make mistakes and have their colony destroyed, but to have you beaten down to a point that you just can't survive any more and you're waiting for the inevitable doesn't seem right for a story teller for this kind of game. If you happen to fall and be left with a few colonists and no turrets, I think there should be more things accommodating to this sort of scenario. The difficult of the raiders should be scaled back while you're recovering, and more events allowing you to get more colonists and metal to rebuild your base with more time in between raids. As it stands, I've found that practically every game when I get down to a couple of colonists after a raid has blown up my base, the story teller would much rather finish me off than let me rebuild.

Having said that, I still love it and this is still pre-alpha. From what I've seen, the developer is looking into his story teller to tweak things. I still can't wait to see what he does with the game.

I mainly said this to see what others think. Should a story teller ai try to keep the game running as long as it can based on how well the player is doing? How would difficulty change this? Should a harder story teller destroy you, or try and beat you down a lot more?
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

it's probably mostly because your new, there are a lot of different things that give you advantages. I have survived a 15 man raid with only 8 people, only 6 had guns.
  • Set up standing lights in areas the enemies come through, you'll get a 40% increase chance to hit them. Keep your colonist in the dark, 40% less chance to get hit.
  • You can create dump zones and fill them up with debris to slow their approach. It gives them small cover but they move very slow through it.
  • Sandbag-wall-sandbag-wall-etc is the best line of defense for perimeter walls.
  • Place turrets intelligently, they blow up very easily and aren't cheap. Keep them somewhere to support you forward troops and out of the line of fire.
And yes sometimes it down right unforgiving. Just take a page from Dwarf Fortress "Losing is Fun!"
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
AdmiralJonB

Post by AdmiralJonB »

kregoth wrote:And yes sometimes it down right unforgiving. Just take a page from Dwarf Fortress "Losing is Fun!"
True that :P Wouldn't be here otherwise. Had another failure today! Still can't stop playing it.