Hardcore Spawn - Jungles

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SlyeBLue

Hardcore Spawn - Jungles

Post by SlyeBLue »

Not really a problem so much as looking for advice on how to deal with this better.

So when I die (frequently) sometimes I respawn in the jungle, this presents a multitude of obvious problems (movement speed, spiders) but it also presents a long term problem as it takes me many days, sometimes weeks to get out.

Starting a base in a jungle from scratch is impossible, so I must leave, but by the time I find my way to the edge, usually it is nightfall if the spiders haven't gotten me. Now even if I successfully make it out of the jungle, there are now hostile mobs waiting in the next biome I get into, sometimes I make shelter in time, usually not.

So now i'm right back in the jungle. Basically I seem to be perpetually stuck in jungles whenever I spawn in one, and sometimes it takes actual hours to get out.

What i'm asking is, how does hardcore spawn work exactly? How long do I need to keep myself alive before my next death (since my hunger will be gone and survival unlikely) will not stick to the "multiple deaths respawn in the same area thing" because it's extremely frustrating to die, run through jungle, die, run through jungle for hours at a time.
VegasGoat

Re: Hardcore Spawn - Jungles

Post by VegasGoat »

If you just want to die and respawn in a new place, dig a hole and hide until the next morning (go do something else for 20 minutes), then die. That's when HC spawn will reset.

I haven't had much success surviving a jungle spawn, so I don't have any advice there. Wood is plentiful, and I can usually get my first set of stone tools without having to wander into spider spawning territory, but without food to survive the inevitable food poisoning, hunting trips always fail.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

This is something I recently had to deal with as well, and it feels like it's one of the few areas in the game where death feels arbitrary and inevitable. Jungles are damn near impossible to survive in from day one and the only real option is, as stated above, just dig yourself a hole and starve to death.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Biomes aren't so large that you can't find your way out guys.

Yes, spawning in a jungle is a bitch (as is spawning in a desert to a slightly lesser extent), but if you make it your first priority to get the hell out of there (which you should), then it's perfectly viable to do so.

Unless you're playing on large biomes of course, in which case I'll remind you that BTW isn't balanced for them, or any other optional mode of play.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, getting out of a biome doesn't take a day. 5 minutes top.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

not to be rude or anything guys but i have encountered huge jungles (not on large biomes) that could easily take a MC day or two to get through. altho obviusly the majority of them arent all that huge. but just saying it does happen sometimes...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

odranoel wrote:not to be rude or anything guys but i have encountered huge jungles (not on large biomes) that could easily take a MC day or two to get through. altho obviusly the majority of them arent all that huge. but just saying it does happen sometimes...
Or you just aren't good enough at jungle runs yet. I found my ability to run through biomes fast, while conserving food has gone up drastically since playing co-op. What happens is I die, someone throws some soulsand and then I run back to base before running out of food. So far, there's only one spot in our HCS range (across an ocean) where I can't make it. That means that with practice, I run across 4 fairly large biomes on a single food bar, with no tools and reach base before night (or during night, with some parkour skills).

It's actually a great form of gameplay and it's cool that this kind of emergent game-play comes from HCS, soulsand and co-op.
SlyeBLue

Post by SlyeBLue »

I admit I have been feeling a bit discouraged about this mod recently, as I've been unable to get a working farm going for almost 3 weeks.

I died over and over and had yet to ever find one of my old homesteads, so I assumed I was ransacking the world and by the time I got successful it would be bleak and lifeless, or that I was simply too far out into the map to ever run across my old homes.

However.. Yesterday I spawned in a jungle, increasingly frustrated, I ran out as fast as possible. As I emerged from the treeline I found myself staring across a river at 3 enclosed chickens and a wooden door set into a hillside.

A feeling which I can not describe to you overcame me.

FlowerChild, I thought no feeling was stronger than the fury of setting up a home and having it all torn away..

But now I understand. You sir, are a genius.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...thanks man :)
SlyeBLue

Post by SlyeBLue »

On a short side note, do slimes despawn? Because I trapped a baby one in a small enclosure inside my cave as a pet, and it disappeared, however there has been a large one stuck in the water by the shore for like 6 days. It was there before I trapped my pet.
Dale

Post by Dale »

This is actually funny to me. My server has large biomes on and the starting spawn is within a jungle. It took me 3 tries to spawn outside of it and I couldn't see another biome in sight. So you pretty much are forced to die to even get started on my server I suppose. x) That is of course unless you are REALLY hardcore..

Future release plans possibly?
Spoiler
Show
Hardcore Steve...
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Surviving in Jungles is not impossible, especially if you reach the border with another non-desert biome. It's just absurdly difficult. I've sort of made it a person challenge of mine since a post a few weeks back... it's just a matter of how much you can build up each time you spawn before you run out of hunger points. Don't move around too much, and remember that every tree you clear helps immensely with recognizing the area later. Finally, store anything you are not using at that second in a chest.

On an unrelated note, to the person speaking about weeks to get a farm going, I've been playing my current co-op world for almost 20 hours now and we've only just made our first iron pickaxe, because we've been focused on building up every last hardcore spawn locale to at least have a decent lit area. But we are always able to recover if one of us dies, and we can describe all 10+ spawn locales in a few seconds. "Spawn 9, the taiga way to the north..." "Spawn 1, near the desert pyramid..." etc
The single best piece of advice I have is to trap a chicken and 2 cows at as many spawns as possible, as soon as you get into them. Then make sustainable food your target, not necessarily iron pick / diamonds
Our iron order: Hoe -> Shears -> Bucket -> Pick -> Cauldron -> Other
Sustainable food: pumpkin; mushroom; melon; mushroom + eggs; milk + eggs; cocao + milk
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I find it weird that you guys talk about distinct spawns. From what I've experienced, HC Spawn is completely random every time and not bound to a certain number of spawns.
SlyeBLue

Post by SlyeBLue »

utakataJ6 wrote:On an unrelated note, to the person speaking about weeks to get a farm going, I've been playing my current co-op world for almost 20 hours now and we've only just made our first iron pickaxe
I'm aware, the hoe is what I'm having trouble getting. I'm brand new to the mod, starting to get the hang of it.
Gilberreke wrote:I find it weird that you guys talk about distinct spawns. From what I've experienced, HC Spawn is completely random every time and not bound to a certain number of spawns.
This is what I thought as well, occasionally I respawn in an area obviously devoid of trees and life that i've been to, but more often then not it's new.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Gilberreke wrote:I find it weird that you guys talk about distinct spawns. From what I've experienced, HC Spawn is completely random every time and not bound to a certain number of spawns.
That's because within your 10+ hardcore spawn locations you have a degree of randomness. I'd guess there's around a 50x50 to 100x100 block area within which your new self can be plopped down at each spawn, but you come to recognize which is which pretty quickly if you've spent a lot of time building up each base.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Errrr....no. The point you spawn at is picked randomly, and it's not from a set of fixed points. There's only additional random variance thrown in if you respawn at the same point multiple times due to a rapid series of deaths.

If you really are respawning at the same 10 points, that's a bug, although I fixed one like that already many versions ago.

Are you sure your server is running the current release?
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

FlowerChild wrote:If you really are respawning at the same 10 points, that's a bug, although I fixed one like that already many versions ago.
I've noticed this happening on the official server. I had my spawn set to a level 1 SFS Beacon in the overworld, and I found that when I died in the nether I would consistently spawn in the same space (a creeper crater in a jungle). sometimes I was up to ~20 blocks away from the crater, but often I would respawn in the exact same place. I first noticed this happening back in august, and it only stopped recently when I broke the beacon. It is a rather specific set of circumstances, so it's probably worthwhile to get someone else to confirm they are experiencing the same issue, and it's not just me imagining things.
brab

Post by brab »

I'm not sure it happens with every spawn point, but there is one for me in the jungle that comes back quite often. (In fact, I've been spawning there often enough to get a small base going, with some cocoa beans growing and a path across a sea to another biome.)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

That's really weird guys, because as far as I can tell, that's not how we are experiencing HCS at all :/

I do a lot of crazy stuff on the server and I must've died and respawned 25 times, all over the place. I pretty much know the whole HCS range by heart and none of those 25 spawns where "the same".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:That's really weird guys, because as far as I can tell, that's not how we are experiencing HCS at all :/

I do a lot of crazy stuff on the server and I must've died and respawned 25 times, all over the place. I pretty much know the whole HCS range by heart and none of those 25 spawns where "the same".
Yeah, and I definitely don't get that kind of repetition in my SSP world either. I was beginning to wonder if it was an SMP thing, but you seem to be saying that's not happening to you there either.
Elred

Post by Elred »

If that can help, we had this kind of things in LAN worlds too. Basically, one of us died, and then died a lot more times trying to get back to base. Each time he died, he respawned in the exact location as before (+-10 blocks maybe, but really not more than that). We never had a "spawn elsewhere" thing within a single death sequence. This happened everytime one of us died, changing the location only if we hadn't died in a long time.

Edit: Right, I somehow had read frequent deaths meant volatile spawn points. Ignore the post.
Last edited by Elred on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, please make sure you know how HC Spawn actually works before making comments like the above. You obviously don't.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Jungle spawns are really all about adapting a nether mindset. Get tools asap, dig underground, don't poke your head out too much, and hope your hunger survives the first night. If you're out by then, you win, if not, well you just wasted 20 minutes and possibly reset HC spawn.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:If you really are respawning at the same 10 points, that's a bug
I can see how one could get that impression. Within the spawn radius, there are probably about 10-20 biomes (kneejerk estimate, but that's how it feels to me). So, even though it's random, there are probably not more than 10-20 generally recognizable areas in which one might spawn. I would say, in my current world, I usually recognize the area in which I've respawned, even though I am quite certain the actual precise location is random.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jkievlan wrote:I can see how one could get that impression. Within the spawn radius, there are probably about 10-20 biomes (kneejerk estimate, but that's how it feels to me). So, even though it's random, there are probably not more than 10-20 generally recognizable areas in which one might spawn. I would say, in my current world, I usually recognize the area in which I've respawned, even though I am quite certain the actual precise location is random.
Yeah, seems like that's a more sensible way of looking at it.