4.8999999(+9...more 9's make it better) Spoiler Thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

4.8999999(+9...more 9's make it better) Spoiler Thread

Post by FlowerChild »

Going to preemptively put up a spoiler thread here, as I know they shall come :)
Taleric

Re: 4.8999999 (more 9's make it better) Spoiler Thread

Post by Taleric »

I tried to sleep I really did, I should be sleeping but could not :P

Having beat the dragon over the long weekend, starting from just before the HC Trees, I needed to prove I could get the enchanting table the new way.

As I stay out of jungles I knew some far away I had only scouted near the edge. I frequent deserts for travel so a new one will have to be found.

Starting off great, I nearly die half-a-heart left falling off a cliff in travel and I should have brought milk cause the spiders made my life hell! Were it not for the SFS and healing potions it would have been a sad trip. Additionally I felt much more spritely in SFS then I remember but it has been a LONG time and first on this world.

I will leave the following cause I have to sleep and conduct research back home later :D
*Added some great national geographic footage captured while in transit!

Seriously SPOILERS
http://imgur.com/a/hm6Bp

I can not wait to go hunting for more temples when I have more time. Just the trip to get this was great, thank you FC!
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

I know this is the spoiler-thread, but just as another fail-safe:
Spoiler
Show
I have found 3 jungle temple in about as many hours. No luck with deserts just yet. What I found:

-in jungle temples there are now 2 chopping blocks, one bright red thing called "Vessel of the Dragon" and a Hand crank attached to it.

-this was the case with 3 out of 3 jungle temples, so I assume the enchanting table can be found in desert temples?

-if you break the Vessel with a pick, you can pick it up and place again. The first time you break it, a small (?) amound of xp is set free (I am about lvl 95 atm, so I don't know how much xp there is in it)

-when you use the hand crank next to it, the whole thing tips just like a cauldron. This didn't spill the xp inside thou. Also, you can see a glowing puddle inside. If you place it that puddle is not there, so I assume you see how much xp is in there (?)

-I took the 3 vessel home, and tried to fill it up again using my monster grinder, which works! Can't empty the thing yet, without breaking it at least... will report later if I find something out

edit:
I'm not sure about filling them up with regular xp anymore... maybe you need Dragon Orbs. The thing is called Vessel of the Dragon after all. I'll try to find out more about what it stores and how much of it.

edit2:
They hold A LOT of XP. They accept normal XP and Dragon Orbs. I was able to empty 16 Soulsand Hoppers into 2 Dragon Vessel, and they don't appear to be full yet (A bit of XP was lost by picking up though). I suspect they hold about 800-1000 XP (Soulsand Hoppers store 100, according to the wiki), plus, they seem to act as Soulsand Hoppers, meaning, if you fill them with dragon orbs, if you break them, you get normal XP.

All in all, you can store at least 8 times the XP in your farm. This is amazing!

edit3:
I filled 2 of them up completely and killed myself for lvl0. One completely full vessel takes you from lvl0 to lvl32. Another one up to 41.

edit4:
you CAN tip them over and empty them that way. For some reason, the setup I found pre-generated in the temples did NOT work. It tipped the Vessel, but nothing came out. I suspect it tried to tip "into" another block (I will double check that if I find another jungle temple). If I built it myself, it works fine.
This thing is amazing, I love it! More 9's DO make it better :D
Last edited by DerAlex on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

So, I'm guessing ancient manuscripts are gonna be removed now?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

jorgebonafe wrote:So, I'm guessing ancient manuscripts are gonna be removed now?
There goes my Arcaneum
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

jorgebonafe wrote:So, I'm guessing ancient manuscripts are gonna be removed now?
FC has said several times that the use of the manuscript in the enchanter wasn't the primary purpose for it. So I suspect it'll hang around until it gets implemented for it's real purpose.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Mason11987 wrote:FC has said several times that the use of the manuscript in the enchanter wasn't the primary purpose for it. So I suspect it'll hang around until it gets implemented for it's real purpose.
He did? Several times? I can't remember that at all... Ok then....
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

I think the implication of these "dragon vessels" is pretty clear . . . these temples were used for human sacrifice to the ender dragon. Maybe when a soul (in the from of xp) passes through the dragon vessel it is enslaved by the ender dragon, becoming an ender man.
August West

Post by August West »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:I think the implication of these "dragon vessels" is pretty clear . . . these temples were used for human sacrifice to the ender dragon. Maybe when a soul (in the from of xp) passes through the dragon vessel it is enslaved by the ender dragon, becoming an ender man.
Who performed said human sacrifice?
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

those who came before . . .
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote:you CAN tip them over and empty them that way. For some reason, the setup I found pre-generated in the temples did NOT work. It tipped the Vessel, but nothing came out. I suspect it tried to tip "into" another block (I will double check that if I find another jungle temple). If I built it myself, it works fine.
Arg. My test temple was working fine, as the vessel is supposed to tip to spill its contents into the stairwell bellow. It must get mucked up if the temple is oriented in different directions although I thought the vMC code automatically rotated the blocks to take that into account. The screenshot in the first response above shows the Hand Crank on the wrong side, so something must be up.

Will fix.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote:if you break them, you get normal XP.
BTW: Can someone confirm the above? The vessel is supposed to retain the nature (regular or Dragon) of the XP it contains and spill forth the same thing that went into it, and my tests indicated this was working right.

If there's another problem here, I'd like to get it fixed at the same time as I'll likely put out a 'b' version to address the orientation thing shortly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

K, found seeds that generated jungle temples in all the different orientations. Turns out it had the hand crank and vessel reversed in position 50% of the time which resulted in the vessel spilling its contents in the wrong direction. Got it fixed and will just do some further testing to verify that dragon orbs and regular xp are getting stored and spilling out appropriately.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

K, just ran a series of tests on the vessel itself, and it seems to be collecting and dispensing the right kind of orbs, so no issue there.

I put out a 'b' version to correct the alignment of the vessel in the jungle temples when they're in certain orientations, which can be grabbed from the release thread or here:

Download Link

Obviously, not that big a deal as it doesn't really affect functionality but I wanted to fix it as quickly as possible, as the orientation adds to the overall vibe of the temple when you first discover it, and once the temples are already generated, there's no resolving it.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

I only fully understood the "tipping" mechanic at edit 4, everything before that edit was written under the assumption that you have to break the thing.

I just tested it again, with the new b version:

If you TIP a vessel full of Dragon Orbs, it drops Dragon Orbs.

If you BREAK a vessel full of Dragon Orbs, it Drops XP.

I'm kinda sad that thats not the way they are supposed to work, my grinder is at bedrock, making adjustmends for stuff that needs a nother layer or two down is kinda tricky :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sigh...wish you had posted that 15 minutes earlier :)
DerAlex wrote:I'm kinda sad that thats not the way they are supposed to work, my grinder is at bedrock, making adjustmends for stuff that needs a nother layer or two down is kinda tricky :D
Yeah...let me just break the Hopper filtering mechanic for your immediate convenience...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

And the 'c' version to correct the above:

Download Link
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

FlowerChild wrote:
DerAlex wrote:I'm kinda sad that thats not the way they are supposed to work, my grinder is at bedrock, making adjustmends for stuff that needs a nother layer or two down is kinda tricky :D
Yeah...let me just break the Hopper filtering mechanic for your immediate convenience...
Yes please. By the way, could you give apples a new purpose? :D

(That was a joke, as was the one above :))

Seriously thou, I love the vessel, I love the way of obtaining them, I loved figuring them out, and I really love the scarcity of them. And with a bit of creative tinkering, you can store INSANE amounts of xp.

The grinder is in dire need of redesign anyway, it grew for months, almost cancerous, along with my understanding of the mod and it's mechanics, this is the nail in the coffin, it desperately needs a facelift.

FlowerChild wrote:And the 'c' version to correct the above:

Download Link
Holy crap you are fast...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Or you can use a platform elevator to bring the orbs up and get more space to work with it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote: The grinder is in dire need of redesign anyway, it grew for months, almost cancerous, along with my understanding of the mod and it's mechanics, this is the nail in the coffin, it desperately needs a facelift.
Hehe...I know that feeling. My grinder in my main world has turned into quite the monstrosity :)
FlowerChild wrote:Holy crap you are fast...
Well, I really hate it when people's first exposure to this kind of new block has it working not exactly as intended, so I wanted to correct that as quickly as possible ;)

Plus, I had nightmare visions of this thing being used as a quick xp filter by people wandering about and placing it under dragon orbs dangling about in the environment :P
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Are the new features in the abandoned temples? I know I'm doing something wrong here but idk if I'm looking too close to spawn or if my install is bugged.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

matty79321 wrote:Are the new features in the abandoned temples? I know I'm doing something wrong here but idk if I'm looking too close to spawn or if my install is bugged.
That's in the release notes.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

FlowerChild wrote:
matty79321 wrote:Are the new features in the abandoned temples? I know I'm doing something wrong here but idk if I'm looking too close to spawn or if my install is bugged.
That's in the release notes.

Derped there. Thanks.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

:( I must have tried 4 or 5 times: All I get is this:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote::( I must have tried 4 or 5 times: All I get is this:
That's a looted temple man.