How far? poo factory

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Beerkeg

How far? poo factory

Post by Beerkeg »

Just wondering.. in the past few days i have been working on poo farm studying (well try to copy) battosay and diego.
My only issues is.. once i get the wolves in the poo farm and have em sit, everytime some zombie or spider or whatever punches me. POOF wolves are all out their factory and come to my rescue.. now its a pain in the ass to fit em all back.

Question is how far do you guys normally put your poo factory away from your home? 10 50? 100 ? tiles?
Im not sure if it has to do with the distance or not. thanks for taking the time to read this.
gftweek

Re: How far? poo factory

Post by gftweek »

Yeah, this is annoying, the wiki doesn't say how far away you have to be to prevent this happening, but I'd say 20 blocks is a good number (in any direction).

The easiest fix is to keep them far enough underground that surface mobs who attack you will be ignored.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

This was mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but underground doesn't help. The vertical distance doesn't matter as they will teleport to the surface. The radius for wolf detection might be 24 blocks similar to spawning.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

PatrickSJ wrote:This was mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but underground doesn't help. The vertical distance doesn't matter as they will teleport to the surface. The radius for wolf detection might be 24 blocks similar to spawning.
I've kept mine sitting, fed, and enclosed and they have never poofed to me.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

Damion Rayne wrote:
PatrickSJ wrote:This was mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but underground doesn't help. The vertical distance doesn't matter as they will teleport to the surface. The radius for wolf detection might be 24 blocks similar to spawning.
I've kept mine sitting, fed, and enclosed and they have never poofed to me.
i would really like to be able to tell the same about mines :P
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Guess you can put a spiderproof wall around your factory and have a well lit space between so you will be out of range of the wolves before any mob can get close to you, or just don't get hit!
RHCPepperfan

Post by RHCPepperfan »

Even modded Wolves are a pain in the ass!
Adjudicator79

Post by Adjudicator79 »

The best response to this problem I've been able to come up with is to put the dung farm in a part of my world that I don't go to unless I'm specifically headed there to pick up dung. For efficiency's sake, I also put my automated hemp/reed farm there as well. So once every so often, I wake up, kill any monster's around my bunker's hatch, and then head off to the farms. At worst, it takes me 30 seconds to get there, and usually the non-creeper hostile mobs are all dead by that time. Then I collect and return. I've got 7 wolves in mine and regularly get 2.5 stacks of dung if I leave Minecraft afk overnight.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I find that putting it roughly halfway up my mineshaft is far away enough from anywhere I might get randomly struck by a mob - when you know you might get hit, steel swords make combat a non-issue.

That position's quite good for having it as part of an automated process too - pork farm above, tannery below. Oh How I love spawner GUI :3
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
M!C

Post by M!C »

On my private little server my wolves once teleported to me without me doing anything but join the server. There weren't any mobs enabled ... I hope that won't be happening anymore when BTW finally goes smp.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

In mine, they're sitting 26 blocks below the surface, so they won't TP to me (because vertical distance matters too).
But when 1.8 will be release, you'll have the chance to see a use for some of Mojang's bugs : Your wolves won't belong to you anymore. So they won't TP to you ;)
M!C

Post by M!C »

Battosay wrote:In mine, they're sitting 26 blocks below the surface, so they won't TP to me (because vertical distance matters too).
But when 1.8 will be release, you'll have the chance to see a use for some of Mojang's bugs : Your wolves won't belong to you anymore. So they won't TP to you ;)
Actually I just came up with another solution for smp: I'll simply create a new player to do nothing but tame and put wolves in place. Thanks for the inspiration Battosay!
Praetorex

Post by Praetorex »

That's actually a very good idea.
I'ma steal that idea :p
We live in the dark to serve the light
We are Assassins
Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

i finally decided.. to just kill all my 15 freaking wolves.. now they are really relax.. lol
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

Battosay wrote:In mine, they're sitting 26 blocks below the surface, so they won't TP to me (because vertical distance matters too).
flower patched that. all "tamed" wolves in single player are assumed to belong to you now.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

They belong to you, but they won't teleport to you anymore if you got them in an ealier version of the game (so 1.6 or 1.5).