Clay ball recycling builds? [SPOILERS]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
kjbrona

Clay ball recycling builds? [SPOILERS]

Post by kjbrona »

Not sure if spoilers tag was needed but better safe then sorry.

Since we now have to compact clay balls into blocks with pistons, has anyone come up with a decent compacting/collecting/recycling build yet?
I can compact them back to blocks but the collecting and getting back to the turntable is really stumping me.
Fret

Re: Clay ball recycling builds? [SPOILERS]

Post by Fret »

Well, you could push the clayblock up with a chain of pistons. Then at the turntable you could let your block dispenser (A) and recycled clay (B) take turns. So ABABAB. Or, you could do this: activate block dispenser; it places a clay block. Turntable rotates and you get your urn/planter/whatever. Then let a piston push a recycled clay block on the turntable, pushing off your urn/planter into hopper/waterstream. Then deactivate the blockdispenser, so it sucks up the recycled clay block. Repeat.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

The BTW method of upward transport is an item elevator using a platform and a pulley. I haven't yet made one but that's my go-to.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Mason11987 wrote:The BTW method of upward transport is an item elevator using a platform and a pulley. I haven't yet made one but that's my go-to.
I'm not sure that would work in this situation as we are working with solid blocks, and the platform/pulley system doesn't work well with them.

I think pistons are likely the best way to go. A system wherein the clay blocks are initially dispensed from a BD, then piston'd to the turntable. While it spins, recycled clay is packed and passed back up to the BD to be stored for the next cycle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Another method would be to place a BD on a Turntable, picking up the compacted blocks, spin the BD around, then place the clay down on another Turnatble for spinning into pottery.

Similar to what that auto Minecart unloader did awhile ago.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

eternal8phoenix wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:The BTW method of upward transport is an item elevator using a platform and a pulley. I haven't yet made one but that's my go-to.
I'm not sure that would work in this situation as we are working with solid blocks, and the platform/pulley system doesn't work well with them.

I think pistons are likely the best way to go. A system wherein the clay blocks are initially dispensed from a BD, then piston'd to the turntable. While it spins, recycled clay is packed and passed back up to the BD to be stored for the next cycle.
It looks like you're seeing it as:
  • Spin Clay Block
  • Catch extra clay
  • Pack into blocks
  • Piston upwards
  • Repeat
I was seeing it as:
  • Spin Clay Block
  • Catch extra Clay
  • Elevator upward and drop into a dispenser maybe?
  • Pack into Block, possibly ON a turntable
  • Repeat
Both are good options though.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Mason11987 wrote:snip
OH....I forgot that you can move first pack later. My bad :P
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I was thinking of using a vertical piston to compact the clay, use a BD to place it as a block, and the same piston pushes it up as part of the compaction cycle.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I haven't updated yet (waiting on brother), but think I can modify my existing one. Currently, clay balls drop into BD which places and it's piston chained around and up to turntable. By moving BD to other side so now hopper drops clay balls onto ground, then trigger another piston to pack those in front of the BD. Set to trigger that before the BD tries to place so that balls get packed preferentially rather than using stored blocks. Only thing will be increased loses when it runs out of clay.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
peppy

Post by peppy »

have a look at my post, i kinda solved this