BTW Buildings

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PatrickSJ

BTW Buildings

Post by PatrickSJ »

I'm trying to map out what factories / industries I can get going with BTW and the order in which they can be built. Could anyone suggest anything else that I may be missing? Note that anything that says 1.8/Mod you can ignore.

Last edited by PatrickSJ on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilberreke

Re: BTW Buildings

Post by Gilberreke »

I love this :)

Why the distinction between sugar and reed? Two different farms?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Gilberreke wrote:I love this :)

Yep. The first goes to a mill where it is automatically ground; the second goes to a chest where it is stored until I want to make paper. If I had BC installed I could auto-assemble.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Gilberreke wrote:I love this :)

I could see one reed farm supplying both. But it's nice to have a distinction between cooking and paper anyways.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'm going to be making a huge BTW base soon and this will be handy :)

I was planning something similar, but now I don't have to. I do still need to figure out how to leave space for future updates though
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

If you're going for variety of products, you forgot a % of quantity bypass from the Wheat Farm straight to the Bakery for Bread as well. Also unsure as to the usefulness of the Granary for processed flour, care to elaborate?
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

This is actually pretty cool man, I like it.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Finally a base for how to design my building layouts.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Fracture wrote:If you're going for variety of products, you forgot a % of quantity bypass from the Wheat Farm straight to the Bakery for Bread as well. Also unsure as to the usefulness of the Granary for processed flour, care to elaborate?
All wheat goes to the mill for being turned into flour because BTW's flour becomes bread when cooked in a furnace. The granary is for seed storage. Also, it can handle overflow of flour.

You'll notice that I lack a centralized warehousing & distribution center except for the advanced workshop. However, I use my workshop to handle BTW items, redstone, and other "powered" items. Storage for everything else still needs to occur.

I tend to have chests scattered throughout my base and only those items needed for the on-site processing are stored. This has proven interesting because I wanted to place my hellforge in the nether, but without water to collect the ground netherrack I had trouble with routing. Of course, it became somewhat moot as the nether doesn't process while I'm in the main world. I'd have to sit in the nether which became tedious so I moved to my main base in the end which also supported water flows.
Praetorex

Post by Praetorex »

nice overview,

what about an automated tree farm?
We live in the dark to serve the light
We are Assassins
Nothing is true, everything is permitted
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Praetorex wrote:nice overview,

Timberlands. I don't see the need for automated tree farms. I prefer to clearcut, plant saplings, and return in a few days. Also, automated treefarms rely on the tree growing to maturity. Each tree only gives 20-24 planks. The amount of infrastructure needed for an automated tree farm to produce sufficient wood is impractical when compared to periodic clear-cutting.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

PatrickSJ wrote:
Praetorex wrote:nice overview,

Timberlands. I don't see the need for automated tree farms. I prefer to clearcut, plant saplings, and return in a few days. Also, automated treefarms rely on the tree growing to maturity. Each tree only gives 20-24 planks. The amount of infrastructure needed for an automated tree farm to produce sufficient wood is impractical when compared to periodic clear-cutting.
Yeah, but that involves taking the time to cut down trees - you may as well sit there with a stack of saplings, a stack of foul food and a steel axe.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Eh, maybe. I don't feel the time is wasted so it doesn't bother me. Now, if I left the game unattended overnight then I could see the benefit.
Praetorex

Post by Praetorex »

PatrickSJ wrote:Eh, maybe. I don't feel the time is wasted so it doesn't bother me. Now, if I left the game unattended overnight then I could see the benefit.
or if you are building other stuff and check back once in a while to collect :p
We are Assassins
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

If you use the Nature Overhaul mod, you can set the trees to die periodically, so all the logs and saplings fall down into a water stream and are carried to your sawmill, then you can use any height tree, just have to automate logs dropping into water stream below and replanting them.

I no longer use Nature Overhaul, but have an automated tree farm using birch trees (so the trunks are all straight with no branches) so it gives 20-28 planks, using pine it would give 24-32 I think, and since I use a design with repeaters checking tree growth, nothing impedes the sapling growth so I get supplies of wood every 5-10 minutes, delivered to my storage room.
Praetorex

Post by Praetorex »

gftweek wrote:If you use the Nature Overhaul mod, you can set the trees to die periodically, so all the logs and saplings fall down into a water stream and are carried to your sawmill, then you can use any height tree, just have to automate logs dropping into water stream below and replanting them.

I no longer use Nature Overhaul, but have an automated tree farm using birch trees (so the trunks are all straight with no branches) so it gives 20-28 planks, using pine it would give 24-32 I think, and since I use a design with repeaters checking tree growth, nothing impedes the sapling growth so I get supplies of wood every 5-10 minutes, delivered to my storage room.
with pine and birch nothing can be in an 5x5x7 (?) radius for it to grow, how do you automate the wood gathering then?
We are Assassins
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Hm. Well, Eloraam should be releasing Redstone v1.7 soon. I believe 1.7 will also include a harvester so I'll probably check it out so see if it fits in the world.

Edit: To clarify regarding the granary.

Basically I have 3 main types of storage: Mechanisms, Construction, and Agriculture.

The granary doesn't have to store just wheat produce , but also handles overflow for agriculture. It is a tall silo with hoppers stacked atop each other. I turn on the bottom hopper and it spills out with top hoppers replenishing bottom hoppers. Row 2 feeds row 1, row 3 feeds row 2, et cetera until completely emptied. Top rows don't feed into bottom rows until the bottom has space. So a quick dump causes the whole silo to shift 1 level down. I dedicate a column to 1 item so with a press of a button have a dispenser that goes straight to my inventory. I just happen to link to wheat because that is how I originally built it. I'll take a look as see how the diagram can be tweaked.

Also, I need to consider sheep and add in a dyeworks if FC ever allows dyeing to occur in the cauldron. (FC, if you read this, *nudge* *wink*).
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Praetorex wrote:
gftweek wrote:If you use the Nature Overhaul mod, you can set the trees to die periodically, so all the logs and saplings fall down into a water stream and are carried to your sawmill, then you can use any height tree, just have to automate logs dropping into water stream below and replanting them.

with pine and birch nothing can be in an 5x5x7 (?) radius for it to grow, how do you automate the wood gathering then?
3x3x7*

it's all about the pistons, and ingenuity; we don't build huge automated things because we need wood (lets face it, steel axe will always be faster) we do it because...it's a challenge, and a fun one at that.

@ PatrickSJ: By the way, I recommend for you the somnia mod. It's possibly the single greatest add-on anyone who automates things can download for MC.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Praetorex wrote:

It only checks for space above the sapling though, you can have anything on the same level as a sapling (repeaters, block dispenser, detector block), otherwise trees would never grow on hills.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

So, the tree is now updated to include BTW 2.93 automation and new features, but I haven't built the buildings yet.

Added:
- Dyeworks is added. It includes a pigment factory & dyeing stations (16 cauldrons!).
- The Tannery and Dyeworks have been grouped into a Textile Plant. Admittedly the tannery does not produce wearable clothing, but since the Ranch (aka, mob trap) produces leather and it gets stored in the tannery...
- Added Forge / Armory when the anvil can be placed and advanced weapons / armor crafted. I'm looking at it and I'll problem make it a side room in my main workshop rather than a completely separate building since that is where the straps are also located.

---

Dyeworks - Pigment Factory
- Mob trap feeds bones to millstone -> White Dye
- Gardens to millstone -> Red/Yellow Dye
- Gardens to cauldron -> Green Dye
- All other dyes -> Crafted / Manually Harvested.

Dyeworks - Dyeing Stations
- Mob Trap feeds string to cauldron -> Wool
- Wool to dying stations -> Dyed wool; Dye has to be manually replenished.

Note: Hopper filters do not distinguish between String and Bones so I may have to use dungeons to get the item I want. Makes things rather spread out.

Edit: I wonder if there are any mods that allows 'breeding' of hostile mobs or an alternate way to separate string from bones.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

PatrickSJ wrote:
Fracture wrote:If you're going for variety of products, you forgot a % of quantity bypass from the Wheat Farm straight to the Bakery for Bread as well. Also unsure as to the usefulness of the Granary for processed flour, care to elaborate?
All wheat goes to the mill for being turned into flour because BTW's flour becomes bread when cooked in a furnace.

Really late, forgot about this thread, but yeah disregard me. I had this strange notion that cooking wheat in a furnace made bread, but it's 3x1 crafting to get it. I spent too long relying on meat, not on farms. x.x
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.