Really addicted to pokemon again...

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
JakeZKAM

Really addicted to pokemon again...

Post by JakeZKAM »

Soooo yeah the new versions come out next month and I got Black 2 for my birthday this year. I've always been suuuuuuper addicted to pokemon and generally any grindy portable games. *cough harvest moon cough* Now since I got back into it and I'm no longer a kid the addiction managed to get worse and now I'm trying to be the very best, like noone ever was :( as well as bouncing off the walls in anticipation of X and Y. So I just wanted to know anyone else here sadly addicted? Oh and I'm totally getting me a Froakie next gen c:
Caboose

Re: Really addicted to pokemon again...

Post by Caboose »

I'm totally in the same boat, I've been playing through White 2, and man, there are just so many things to do still! I love it!

Filling out the Medal Box is going to be mad fun.

And there's not much I can say about X/Y that isn't mad noises of excitement.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I haven't played since Gold/Silver... I loved it later into the game, but early-game when my options were limited, I always struggled to keep interested
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I haven't really worried too much about the medal box, mostly just leaving it as a passive thing to do as time goes by although I always love extra side content in the main game that really has nothing to do with the rest of the core game :). Atm I'm IV breeding/ trying to make perfect pokemon while waiting for next month.

What team are you running? I managed to get through the final four with Emboar, Ampharos, Excadrill, Sigilyph, Maractas, and Jellicent. Really good for getting through the final four/distributing HMs (I fucking hate HMs with a passion) but extremely terrible competetively :p

And @Bino it's a very slow start usually but holy hell the depth that come into play competetively is pretty sick. Well at least I think so, mostly because I like math and pretty pictures :p
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I ran through the Elite Four with Emboar, Ampharos, Swoobat, Aggron, Jellicent, and Ferrothorn.

One thing I will say is that though it was "easier" to defeat Team Plasma this time around, it was so very satisfactory to crush them beneath my heel. Crushing White Kyurem in two turns was just such a good feeling.

I've picked up a Petilil for capturing Pokemon, and am bringing Latias up to speed for the sake of having her.

I'm still looking for a perfect Capturing 'Mon, one who can learn a sleep-inducing attack and False Swipe. Bonus if it can prevent them from escaping.
Last edited by Caboose on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I've played nearly every version since Blue, and once possessed all of them but Blue. (Or at least one from each generation.) I'm sorely tempted to get X or Y next month.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I do not believe there is a single pokemon that can learn all those (hard enpugh finding one with false swipe and sleep) but its fairly easy to set up a team. The best method I've found so far is to have an extremely high attack based pokemon with false swipe and then somthing to apply all the status effects. Watchhog is good for status effects since it can learn both Hypnosis and Mean Look. Pair that up with somthing strong like Haxerous and bam, instant ctching team :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

JakeZKAM wrote:I do not believe there is a single pokemon that can learn all those
Mew.
*nod*
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I used to be a little bit obsessed with competitive pokemon battling to be honest. The Last team i built was a fully IV bred, EV trained sandstorm team with Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Excadrill (fuck yeah excadrill) Golurk (IT CAN FLY!!!) Garchomp and Reuniclus. It kicked some serious ass all in all.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

BinoAl wrote:
JakeZKAM wrote:I do not believe there is a single pokemon that can learn all those
Mew.
*nod*
Nope, there is no way for Mew to learn Mean Look. There's no Tm or move tutors that teach it ;). However Smeargle can copy all of those moves but that would require going back a couple games or trading to get one :p.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

JakeZKAM wrote: Nope, there is no way for Mew to learn Mean Look. There's no Tm or move tutors that teach it ;). However Smeargle can copy all of those moves but that would require going back a couple games or trading to get one :p.
Ahh, lol. Plus, I think most people used Mew as an HM slave. At least, they did back in red/blue/yellow, lol
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Yeah I tend to just put legendaries all in one box and never touch them again. They're solely for collecting since you can't breed them.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I am probably in the minority when I say that HMs are a good idea. In the recent BW line of games, HMs are barely used at all and almost never necessary. The idea of having to catch a wide range of "Slave Pokémon" to get me across the world instead of just battling through the adventure was always very pleasing to me. The new games kind of let you get away with choosing a party of six without ever having to deviate or choose between pokémon before starting a new route or cave.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Its more of the way they're implimented rather than the idea itself. Being able to interact with and use your pokemons abilities outside of battle is great and I always like the idea, but HMs are rarely any good in battle itself, prevent pokemon from being transfered, and in some versions can't even be forgotten :/ when you already have such a small number of moves per pokemon it's a pain in the ass to give up a precious slot to HMs. However with X and Y it so far looks like there's still going to be interaction with pokemon (the riding on the goat screens) yet hopefully in a way that doesn't compromise combat abilities.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Played through Pearl/diamond and have started Black 2, looking forward to X/Y.
Not really getting into Black 2 though, it just seems slow right now and I forget where I am supposed to go next.
Played almost every game up to Diamond. Think I missed Leaf Green and one other one.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

EpicAaron wrote:I am probably in the minority when I say that HMs are a good idea. In the recent BW line of games, HMs are barely used at all and almost never necessary. The idea of having to catch a wide range of "Slave Pokémon" to get me across the world instead of just battling through the adventure was always very pleasing to me. The new games kind of let you get away with choosing a party of six without ever having to deviate or choose between pokémon before starting a new route or cave.
I agree that needing to train Pokemon for something other than straight up combat is a good idea, but HMs were made in a way that made them simply an annoyance to most players
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

So taking a bit of a breather from X and I have to say, wow Game Freak really outdid themselves this time :D. I swear I haven't had as much fun playing a pokemon game since the originals were out. The new setting is great, switching over to 3D works in every way possible, all the new mechanics and especially pokemon-amie are friggin awesome, just seriously they did so much right this time! The only real complaint I have is the difficulty not matching all the new tools you have but other than that nada. I can't wait to see what they expand on either later in the game (I'm only at the fourth gym, damn this game is long!) or in the next one/dlc.

Now it's back to training for me :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

JakeZKAM wrote:I do not believe there is a single pokemon that can learn all those (hard enpugh finding one with false swipe and sleep
*cough*smeargle*cough*
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I'm not very happy with this one. I'm only at the third Gym (at least I can credit it with feeling very long), and there are so many things that annoy me. One of my largest gripes are the "friend" characters that seem to follow me around everywhere. Pokémon is not known for having good stories. The magic of the game was making our own! Putting one sided dialogue between me and some kids that I don't have any connection to is not enhancing the game in any way.

I think Red and Blue did Rivals right. That rival's sole goal was to piss you off, and he didn't stop the game at any other time than to battle you.

Also, Roller Skates.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Foxy Boxes wrote:
JakeZKAM wrote:I do not believe there is a single pokemon that can learn all those (hard enpugh finding one with false swipe and sleep
*cough*smeargle*cough*
Fear the Smeargle! For it is the only beast to truly learn every attack of the Pokémon. Don't follow Mew, the false legend that is not able to do so.

Smeargle has a higher base health than Ditto. Since AFAIK health is the only stat a transformed pokemon keeps.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

*mumbles* Kids and their pokemens, their pokexus and sparkly cats... Back on my days we use to play Tetris and hope all the pixels in the screen work! Now you kids have everything you want! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!! *mumbles*

I really never got into pokemon i guess it has to do with buying and using a handheld in public cuz i feel like a dork and paranoia kicks in that someone is going to steal all my eletronics in the street =(
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Totally agree with Jake, it took me a little bit to fully absorb all the changes, but these games are great!
Foxy Boxes wrote:
*cough*smeargle*cough*
Sceptile can't learn mean look, but Grass Whistle and False Swipe will do nicely for just about every place I'd want to catch a Pokemon, except for runners.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Well, looks like this will be the week everybody finally gets that "three streetpasses in a row playing the same game" achievement. (\o/?)

I'm happily bumbling around like a fool in the Japanese version, burning fairies for warmth with an internet fire chicken, trying to understand why a journalist is in possession of experience-distributing electrode hats (or why they would so promptly run away after giving me one), and saving up for a prettier dress.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Got the new Pokemanz, feels good man.

There seems to be much more of a noticeable leap between this generation and the previous one on a graphical level. Between IV and V, there wasn't a major graphical jump, but now... Wow.

Anyway, game feels good so far, although I'm not very far into it.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.