Descent: Journey in the dark. Second Edition

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
myrkana

Descent: Journey in the dark. Second Edition

Post by myrkana »

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1041 ... nd-edition <------ reference link for anyone who doesnt know what the fuck im talking about :D

anyone else play this? :) its a neat little board game, currently have 2 campaigns going. One where I'm the over lord and my other half controls 4 heroes, and one where we switched roles ^^
Rawr :D
Sarelth

Re: Descent: Journey in the dark. Second Edition

Post by Sarelth »

I have been looking for a copy of 1st edition actually. Though I have second edition.
Never had a chance to play the game yet, my roommate is not interested and most other friends live further away.
Looking forward to a good group sit down with it though.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

My gaming group decided to stop playing this game as it was destroying friendships faster than Dokupon Kingdom and Mario Party put together. :P

In all seriousness a very fun and well-designed game. May have to pick up the expansion packs at some point... if I can convince my friends to play with me... xD
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Sarelth wrote:I have been looking for a copy of 1st edition actually.
My advice, don't bother, you'll pay a disproportionate amount of money for a broken ruleset that is far to easy to pull cheap, campaign ruining combos. The second edition is an improvement in every way!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Shengji wrote:
My advice, don't bother, you'll pay a disproportionate amount of money for a broken ruleset that is far to easy to pull cheap, campaign ruining combos. The second edition is an improvement in every way!
Mostly I just want the figs and the game board to be honest, lol.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Sarelth wrote:
Shengji wrote:
Mostly I just want the figs and the game board to be honest, lol.
Hehe, fair enough!
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Are the figs from 1st edition the same size as 2nd edition? Never actually saw them, as I have not found a copy yet.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Sarelth wrote:Are the figs from 1st edition the same size as 2nd edition? Never actually saw them, as I have not found a copy yet.
No. Some of the monsters will need new bases as they are too small. Without pulling my copies out to check, this list seems complete:

1x2:
Hellhound
Blood Ape
Wendigo

2x2:
Bane Spider
Chaos Beast
Demon
Giant
Golem
Manticore
Naga
Ogre
Troll

2x3:
Dragon
Ice Wyrm

Away from rules issues though, both are 25mm scale so they look right next to each other, (though be aware that some of the 1st ed minis were out of scale with themselves so some are 30mm) but the new minis are way better looking - not so much in the detail but because they are moulded in way more sophisticated moulds and their poses aren't so flat or 2D, they look more dynamic.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Good to know. I am used to painting pewter figs that are a bit bigger than the 2nd edition figs.
They just seemed a little smaller than I expected I guess.
I really want to do a project I saw a while back for 1st edition. It consisted of making 3D map tiles from HirstArts molds.
Maybe some day I will get up the funds to do it. And the patients..
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Awesome! I started a set of space hulk tiles using hirst molds, I've lugged a literal ton of dental plaster across three house moves and not yet got my ass in gear to finish!

I'm in full publicity mode at the moment, had a month holiday from my day job so I decided to release my game - I'm at different events nearly every day, I'll keep my ear to the ground for a set for sale for you.
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Cool, thanks.