Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rob

Re: Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by Rob »

Sage wrote:If this is correct, I wonder if there is a way to purify the possessed animals and destroy the evil.
*dons his Wolfsies Cultist Robes*
The power of Flowerchild compels you! Begone nether spirit of fowl play!
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

I remeber a thread dedicatet to salt and FC mentioning its uses in supernatural. So my questions is do
sulfor, nitre or bonemeal have some effects on possesed animals (these are the only three things i could think of resembling salt). I can't test it out my self - still have to find a third diamond to get to the nether.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Sage wrote:Guys, I cannot test this (lacking portal tech), but remember what happened to Vioki: The chickens in the pen keep exploding in sequence, never toghether and they said (if I remember correctly) that only one was from the nether. I imagine that there was only a single "possessing soul" in that pit and it kept switching between the chickens while they died until it disappeared (I expected a gast, but FC was nice) because it ran out of exploding material...

Other animals don't do this because the effect it's non-letal, but I'm sure if you kill the possessed animals near other ones the souls will jump, or maybe the souls are actuallly entities and they remain in place for some time, so animals can get infected even later.

If this is correct, I wonder if there is a way to purify the possessed animals and destroy the evil.
If Denzel Washington has taught me anything the only way to destroy a demon of this type is to lure it out to the middle of nowhere where there is no other living creature to possess, then mortally wound its host while poisoning yourself.
Better is the enemy of Good
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Denzel taught me that shoving granades up peoples asses makes for really big explosions...

About our little possessing problems, im about to test out the "carring souls" around from the nether on my smp. I believe i can trap 4 cows near the portal at the cardinal points about 50 blocks from the portal and other 4 about 150 away. Then test out if the cows on the way i take home get sick. I will protect another direction with soulsand, and avoid the other 2 ways. And at last i will bring some healthy cows to hang around the possessed ones and see if they get infected as well.

Will post results.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Just to add to the observations:
1. Chicken coops: (2 sets of 4 chickens separated by a 1 block wall) located 82 blocks south and 22 blocks above the portal. Not in line of sight. All died within 12 minutes of starting my world with 4.891123.
2. Cow pen: (40 cows in single pen) located 98 blocks directly south and 24 blocks above portal. Not in line of sight. Smooth stone and 2 walls of glass between pen and portal. 2 infected within 15 minutes of starting world. Culled by splitting herd and punching them to listen for deep moo.

Turned off portal after all infected animals were slaughtered. After 45 minutes, no new infections.
I have not traveled into the nether for 6+ minecraft days before experimenting.

**Update** Over 40 minutes AFTER I shut off my portal, I was in my mushroom farm and I heard the portal sound!. i thought I had heard it earlier but dismissed it as "just hearing things". This time it was loud and clear. !! I just heard it again while writing this!! I only have 1 portal and it is not lit. Does this mean there could be an invisible "entity" that can come through the portal??

**Update 2** Portal is still off and my healthy cows are getting infected again.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

I don't have the the tech in my current world yet, but has anyone who is loosing animals tried looking around with Ender Spectacles? They let you look at Endermen, maybe then let you see dead people too?
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Dralnalak wrote:I don't have the the tech in my current world yet, but has anyone who is loosing animals tried looking around with Ender Spectacles? They let you look at Endermen, maybe then let you see dead people too?
Interesting idea but I couldn't see anything unusual. Ran through my entire base. Tried looking at infected cows and there is nothing different with the ender spectacles.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Tekei wrote:So, I updated BTW to the latest version and my chickens (in the overworld) are spontaneously exploding. What am I doing wrong? I don't have any spare eggs. Someone in the IRC mentioned that it could be the distance to my nether portal (which would make sense since my cows and sheep don't seem to be affected).

Here's a quick video to give you an idea of how the base looks.
Oh my god, my mine craft experience is now complete.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I'm kinda getting a kick about how this change is making people think exploding chickens are new. They must have been in the mod for 6+ months now :)
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Well, I knew about them, but I tend to read spoiler threads so I also knew how to avoid them.

Then again, I have had a chicken egg --> ghast tear farm plan sitting in the back of my head for a long while now, which may actually be automatable in the overworld. Woo!
Rob

Post by Rob »

We need to start Stargate SG1 our portals. Iris made of soulsand and pistons. Kill those nasties before they materialize. :-P

I like the idea of it being a contagion, maybe we should try a water curtain around the portal that you have to walk through to sterilize yourself? It is something from the nether, maybe water can contain it if you manipulate the flow to surround the portal completely like a bubble.
Running with the idea of containing it. What about a Glass bubble, with a sterilize lock? That you step into an adjacent room, get doused with water, then the next door opens. Set it up with redstone so that only one door will be open at a time! My head is flooded with ideas. Even if that doesn't stop the problem, my portal will be inside a clean room. :D
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I'm not able to play it at the moment, but did anyone try to smear poop on the infected? Or gold poop?

Water or Redstone could do something. Both make SFS Blocks scream if I remember correctly.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Is sacrifice the answer? Perhaps we need a constant population of innocent chickens to absorb ambient hostile spirits and inevitably detonate. They serve as a buffer or a dampening mechanism to sequester the aggressive souls. Ultimately one would need to automate chicken production strictly to create the buffer.
micrometalus

Post by micrometalus »

From what i can tell, he's not one to create a problem without an available and applicable solution. In theory, one should be able to solve the problem within a relatively timely manner of entering the nether and thus creating the problem.

Therefore the solution must be something gathered from the nether, created from the nether, available to the player just prior to the nether, or a combination, but not necessarily SFS which might be considered late enough that it wouldn't be considered timely.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

I think i just cracked the issue of transferring animals in the nether, how you might ask? two words Soulsand. booties. See the animals poor little feet can't stand the hot souls coming out of the nether thus they clearly need soulsand booties in order to survive the hellish abyss.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

micrometalus wrote:From what i can tell, he's not one to create a problem without an available and applicable solution. In theory, one should be able to solve the problem within a relatively timely manner of entering the nether and thus creating the problem.

Therefore the solution must be something gathered from the nether, created from the nether, available to the player just prior to the nether, or a combination, but not necessarily SFS which might be considered late enough that it wouldn't be considered timely.
He gave you a solution to the problem: Make a temple far away from your other buildings, for your portal.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I'm kinda getting a kick about how this change is making people think exploding chickens are new. They must have been in the mod for 6+ months now :)
I knew about them but I was stupid enough to expect it to never happen in the overworld. :)

To be slightly more on topic: I have died and my limited playtime lately haven't let me get back to my base yet. I am hurrying as much as I can to be able to continue testing the portal effects and I want to see the new nether!
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Netherrack is infused with souls; they apparently find being milled unpleasant. Perhaps soul bottling is also less than entirely efficient. Either could serve to loose souls into the overworld.

We may do well to shield/quarantine any rooms dedicated to the processing and enslaving of souls.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

AddyBaha wrote:I remeber a thread dedicatet to salt and FC mentioning its uses in supernatural. So my questions is do
sulfor, nitre or bonemeal have some effects on possesed animals (these are the only three things i could think of resembling salt). I can't test it out my self - still have to find a third diamond to get to the nether.
following that line of thought, what about running water or cold iron (iron or SFS blocks)? both are traditionally effective wards against evil (heh, guess that's why steve finds it so hard to break SFS)

or possibly with a more scientific mindset, maybe the soulsand piles will do a better job than soulsand, since the fact that it's dust will give it a larger surface area to affect the souls. (and also give it a use in singleplayer)

or even perhaps something enderdragon related may help? the enderdragon devours souls after all (the dragon egg maybe?)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I doubt it would be end related, especially not the egg as there is only one per world, and we would not be able to effectively farm animals until post-end, which is very late in the tech tree.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
pgelinas

Post by pgelinas »

Ok, so I just found a zombie pigmen in the overworld, stuck on a mountain ledge, a good 80 blocks away from my actual nether portal. It's built on the surface, recently encased to avoid a welcoming party in the nether. It's tightly locked. That can't explain the pigmen, it's just too far away from the portal.

My previous nether portal, however, was built underground in my base and its location is somewhat right under where the pigmen is now. Even if he spawned on the surface (since my base is right under the surface), its been a good 2 in-game weeks, with me wandering far away and back, caving and building outside and I've never seen him before. This portal can't explain the pigmen either, I would of seen him before given where he is and he should have despawned.

Both overworld-side portals links to the same nether-side portal. I have absolutely no idea where the nether-side portal would link in the overworld if the actual portal is deactivated.

I'm wondering if that pigmen could be related to Hardcore animal changes... what does it do to pigs? Turns them into pigmen? We have flying sheeps, exploding chickens and atrocities-spawning cows. There might have been some pigs in that direction...
retep998

Post by retep998 »

pgelinas wrote:I'm wondering if that pigmen could be related to Hardcore animal changes... what does it do to pigs? Turns them into pigmen? We have flying sheeps, exploding chickens and atrocities-spawning cows. There might have been some pigs in that direction...
I recall in vanilla MC, lightning could turn a pig into a zombie pigman. Whether that still exists in BTW, I'm not sure.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I don't believe FC changed the animal transformations through lightning (charging of creepers or pigs --> pigmen).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Whuppee

Post by Whuppee »

Speculation:
Spoiler
Show
The souls within Netherrack don't seem to mind being mined, brought to the overworld, or set alight: their only audible distress is when being milled and bottled.

You cannot bottle without, at minimum, a single Hibachi. This requires that you first mill then filter Netherrack, by way of Soul Sand and a Hopper, removing the souls therein. Note that this Hopper must be powered lest souls build up within. Lacking any ability to capture these souls, presumably, you're instead venting all of them into the Overworld.

This would seem to commend Soul Sand as a mechanism for containing or otherwise interacting with these souls. It may also suggest performing this venting within the Nether.
Experience:
Spoiler
Show
I've had one (then two) Overworld portals open for several game-months. They're geographically close enough to link to the same Nether portal.

I have lit a single piece of Netherrack for my Cauldron, but I have not yet milled or bottled any souls.

I have been hunting exclusively; perhaps untoward happenings would abound, were there only sufficient time between the animals being loaded and killed.

More recently, I have been corralling animals (3 wolves, 5 cows, 4 sheep, and 14 chickens, so far). All are located about 50 blocks all but directly above a portal. I can only sustainably breed the chickens. It's been several weeks and none have exploded. All behave and sound normal.

My chickens and wolves are sitting on floors of Soul Sand. Wanting my cows and sheep to have grass floors, I have instead surrounded them with walls of Soul Sand. I do not know that this is accomplishing anything.

I have since placed a fair quantity of Soul Sand around the nearby portal. The further portal has not been similarly shielded. Again, I do not know that this is accomplishing anything.

For science, I suspect that I should place some chickens in other pens of decreasing proximity to any Soul Sand at all.

Related, given my hypothesis about milling/bottling souls, I am curious to observe the effects on these various pens, once I have done so.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I think the problem is ourselves, we spread the infection! Its not what the portal brings through, it's what we bring with us through the portal.

Need to figure out how to decontaminate ourselves! Also I bet playing with soul sand, and nether rack in the overworld isn't the smartest idea anymore.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.