Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jkievlan

Re: Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by jkievlan »

Am I the only one who is truly impressed by Charlie and Vioki's progress? They started out as total noobs...and now their base is really something to be proud of (I skipped about 20 episodes though).
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I'm worried because crazy shit is happening to all these animals, what's that mean for Steve? It did say Creatures in the changelog, someone needs to start exposing monsters.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Did anyone figure out the effective radius the portal can affect animals? I made my portal a good 100 blocks away and still all my chickens started to die... That can't be right, can it?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Did anyone figure out the effective radius the portal can affect animals? I made my portal a good 100 blocks away and still all my chickens started to die... That can't be right, can it?
The thick plottens :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

jorgebonafe wrote:Did anyone figure out the effective radius the portal can affect animals? I made my portal a good 100 blocks away and still all my chickens started to die... That can't be right, can it?
This part has me scratching my head. I'm almost at nether tech, and don't want to murder all the animals I managed to keep safe for so long. The post from Educated_Fool on the first page would suggest that 100blocks is very safe. I wonder if it has an Axis of Evil *puts pinky to lip*. Which way is your portal facing, towards your chickens? I feel like Steve, using the misfortune of others to gain knowledge and power. Bwahahaha.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Can confirm chickens less than 30 blocks alway from a portal not facing them have not popped. While live stock in a pen facing the portal have suffered.

I was fully expecting to lose the birds, hmmmm. Will have to do some directional testing :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Taleric wrote:Can confirm chickens less than 30 blocks alway from a portal not facing them have not popped. While live stock in a pen facing the portal have suffered.

I was fully expecting to lose the birds, hmmmm. Will have to do some directional testing :)
Awesome. So now the questions are:
1) How far must one be from the front/back of the portal to be safe? 100 blocks isn't enough it seems.
2) How close can a pen be to the sides of a portal before contamination? The next chunk over? Two chunks?
3) If you put the portal high up(like a temple/pyramid thingy), will pens in front of it, but lower height, be effected? How about above the portal?

Gah, I should just build the portal and put all my hopes and dreams on the line with the livestock I have. lol

Edit: On a side note, have portals now become an effective anarchy strat? haha
Last edited by Rob on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: 1) How far must one be from the front/back of the portal to be safe? 100 blocks isn't enough it seems.
I'll give a little hint:

It's WAY more than enough. You guys are on the wrong track entirely :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Rob wrote: 1) How far must one be from the front/back of the portal to be safe? 100 blocks isn't enough it seems.
I'll give a little hint:

It's WAY more than enough. You guys are on the wrong track entirely :)
Awe, back to the drawing board. lol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote:Awe, back to the drawing board. lol
Well, better than running time consuming experiments based on the wrong parameters, which is why I decided to drop a hint ;)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Since I can't think of many things that require you to count blocks in BTW I suspect that it's related to the portal sound itself, or possibly line of sight, although I think that might be too computationally expensive for something like this.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I wonder if the particle effects have something to do with it... On each side of the portal the particles might be coming in farther than we can see, and those particles might be souls being pulled into the nether.. so I'm thinking the animals can't be inline with the portal cause my thinking is that souls get a stronger pull the near you get inline with the portal particles.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think it will help you guys if you think more of the souls which are possessing the animals in terms of something that exists, even if they're unseen, rather than focus on the mechanism through which they first enter the overworld.

I think up until now most are viewing it as a problem with the portal itself, rather than the souls that are coming through it and causing the issues. A subtle distinction perhaps, but I think it's what leading you down the wrong path.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Maybe we have to make soul sand floors on our pens to suck the souls before they can get inside the animals....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

Maybe it something that *you* drag through the portal with you when you pass? For example, how often you go through, or how soon you touch your animals when you get back.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Keep the Portals off, and pad it with soul sand? Grr hard to comment on it, I don't have anything nether related yet, hard to find time to play :(
Last edited by kregoth on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Psion

Post by Psion »

So basically the souls are like a virus. Anyone tried dragging a contaminated animal near some healthy ones? maybe the souls "infest" other nearby animals as well, like a hellish chain reaction.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Psion wrote:So basically the souls are like a virus.
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. That's not the whole story mind you, but you're thinking in the right direction ;)
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

Maybe the "souls" cling to the player himself and we must desinfect him before visiting his animal pens.
kregoth wrote:Keep the Portals off, and pad it with soul sand?
I thought of that, too, but keeping the portal off is not really a viable opzion imo. If you die and step through the netherside portal or if other players visit, it would simply create a new portal, worst case maybe right next to the precious animals or villagers.
Nikkentobi

Post by Nikkentobi »

I've not reach the nether tech myself, so i can't really test this... But have anyone tried using soulsand as floor for the room the portal is in? (Both nether and overworld) side.

The idea is for it to act as some sort of decontamination area that you'll go through each time we cross the portal.
GalaxyTreader

Post by GalaxyTreader »

Do animals perhaps turn into mediums? Vioki's wolf made portal noises, and this would also be like a virus of sorts.
Psion

Post by Psion »

well, theres several ways a virus could spread. through the air, through water, via contact, through bodily fluids such as blood, through contaminated soil... I doubt it's water, or soil, but both airborne pathogens and blood would seem to make sense, them being souls of the damned and all. contact might work too.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Well FC said we're on the right track that its kinda like a virus, but thats not the whole story. I think the souls can freely come through the portal, but if theres nothing to catch them (kinda like soul urns i guess), then they get absorbed into animals no matter the distance or what touches the animals.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Sage

Post by Sage »

Guys, I cannot test this (lacking portal tech), but remember what happened to Vioki: The chickens in the pen keep exploding in sequence, never toghether and they said (if I remember correctly) that only one was from the nether. I imagine that there was only a single "possessing soul" in that pit and it kept switching between the chickens while they died until it disappeared (I expected a gast, but FC was nice) because it ran out of exploding material...

Other animals don't do this because the effect it's non-letal, but I'm sure if you kill the possessed animals near other ones the souls will jump, or maybe the souls are actuallly entities and they remain in place for some time, so animals can get infected even later.

If this is correct, I wonder if there is a way to purify the possessed animals and destroy the evil.
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
devak

Post by devak »

Sage wrote: If this is correct, I wonder if there is a way to purify the possessed animals and destroy the evil.
After googling "exorcism" i am starting to wonder if we need to drown them in water.