Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore Nether Animals Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:Exactly! Encouraging unique buildings, and new gameplay is exactly what FC does.
Hehe...you guys seem to have figured this part out at least, so I guess I can talk about this aspect a bit more openly.

Yup, that's exactly right. The first nether portal I ever built in vanilla, before even stepping through it I built a big temple area to the dark gods with a largish staircase leading up to it surrounded by lava. I think I even sacrificed a sheep in front of it before finally lighting it ;)

Part of what I was doing here with these changes was similar to what I did with the mill stone being hellishly noisy a long time ago: provide incentive to create distinct structures and/or areas for different activities which motivates additional building projects. Some of you may have noticed how in Vioki's series, one of the first major building projects was to create a dedicated building for milling, and it's probably the best looking one in their world.

I think everyone (myself included) was tending to pack their nether portals in wherever they would fit in their base, and given the nether is such a major part of the tech tree, and building a portal to hell seems like it should be an inherently dangerous activity, I decided a little extra motivation to build a separate area for your portal was in order.

Anyways, I eagerly await the "Show us your nether temples!" thread that will hopefully result :)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

When Vioki kept going through their portal in a hole with a lame 2 wide door right in front of it I kept thinking how boring that was, especially when they just came out of a sweet pump tower, decorated mob farm, and nice mill workshop.

I'm glad you're watching that too so you can fix that problem we didn't even really realize existed.

In my own world I've built mob farms and cool workshops and machines, but my portal is just sitting there along a path like it's nothing.

Way to kill gwendlyn by the way. I knew you would eventually. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:Way to kill gwendlyn by the way. I knew you would eventually. :)
Well, I didn't specifically set out to kill Gwendalyn, but I will admit I was chuckling rather evilly as I implemented this stuff as I could see what impact it would have on Vioki and Charley's world from a mile off ;)

I even tried to warn them the other day about it in their stream, but they wouldn't believe me for some strange reason...

Also, the chaos is far from over. Once you guys figure out how this all works, you'll realize that they made a huge mistake in their last LP which has me cackling maniacally once more :)
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:you'll realize that they made a huge mistake in their last LP which has me cackling maniacally
Yeah I was gasping when they did.
You're talking about moving the wolf?
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Spoiler
Show
turns out nether exposure is viral(at least with my exploded chickens) and pigs get a little rotten...
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

When you shear sheeps in the nether they lose the levitating and fall down... a good way to automate wool production in the nether. Fly up, trigger, shear, drop, eating grass, repeat...
man your ideas are gold :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Kezza wrote:When you shear sheeps in the nether they lose the levitating and fall down... a good way to automate wool production in the nether. Fly up, trigger, shear, drop, eating grass, repeat...
Please, please post pictures of how this works out for you.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kezza wrote:When you shear sheeps in the nether they lose the levitating and fall down... a good way to automate wool production in the nether. Fly up, trigger, shear, drop, eating grass, repeat...
"Sky Sheep" (as I refer to them) are far more fun in the overworld man. I highly recommend playing around with them a bit :)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

These so called Sky Sheep remind me of the old Aether mod with its floating sheep, and from what i remember it was hilarious, im glad you implemented sky sheep FC :) ...now if only we could ride them ;) JK...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Shit...did the Aether have flying sheep? Man, that's what I get for playing it briefly a couple of years ago and then forgetting all about it :\

As for riding them, believe me, I went off on this whole mental tangent while developing them about using the leads in 1.6 to attach a number of them to a boat, and then either attaching more or shearing them to control altitude. I can't think of a more BTW way for Steve to finally attain flight ;)

I doubt I'll get into that though, given the amount of work involved and given it would be of limited practical value in the end. Would be extremely humorous though :)
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

FlowerChild wrote:Part of what I was doing here with these changes was similar to what I did with the mill stone being hellishly noisy a long time ago: provide incentive to create distinct structures and/or areas for different activities which motivates additional building projects.
Wow. I guess its a good thing I automatically make a dedicated nether building on the outskirts of my base.
Definitely going to start keeping these types of changes in mind for the future.
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Psion

Post by Psion »

FlowerChild wrote:Shit...did the Aether have flying sheep? Man, that's what I get for playing it briefly a couple of years ago and then forgetting all about it :\

As for riding them, believe me, I went off on this whole mental tangent while developing them about using the leads in 1.6 to attach a number of them to a boat, and then either attaching more or shearing them to control altitude. I can't think of a more BTW way for Steve to finally attain flight ;)

I doubt I'll get into that though, given the amount of work involved and given it would be of limited practical value in the end. Would be extremely humorous though :)
Lol, I had the same thought, though without the actual flying part. I just thought thought of someone building a zepplin or house base in the sky with a ton of flying sheep tied to it to make it look like it was flying. XD
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Ok, first using shears on creepers, now mutilating the genetic code of my farm animals for fun? I'm never gonna get anything useful done now XD. It also seems like once I manage to find a village via nether access, I'm going to have to leave them where I found them. It's gonna be a muuuuch later project to try and build an overland rail/road to get a couple back to spawn. As a side note, has anyone found out if Cats will suffer any effects from nether exposure?
Mud

Post by Mud »

I built a netherportal under a (mostly) untouched NPC Village. We've treated them much the same as livestock in the past, so I figured it was worth investigating.

Now... we wait.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote:has anyone found out if Cats will suffer any effects from nether exposure?
Cats are perfect as they are. Even disembodied spirits know that.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

JakeZKAM wrote:As a side note, has anyone found out if Cats will suffer any effects from nether exposure?
Have you considered instead how the nether might suffer from cat exposure?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Sarudak wrote:
JakeZKAM wrote:As a side note, has anyone found out if Cats will suffer any effects from nether exposure?
Have you considered instead how the nether might suffer from cat exposure?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lsJmwNO40
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Oh the casualties!

Just got updated having left off harnessing herded pigs. Had a small hope the harness might prevent issues...

Crap lol.... I feel like a sleeping danger just woke up and stomped my base!

Still lots of fun and now I am motivated to build some new compounds thanks FC :)

Looking forward to a more hellish nether.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Vioki just found a feature on camera. Bit of a massive spoiler as I've not seen anyone mention it here but it freaked me right the frack out alongside them just by watching it happen to someone elses animals.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Total classic. I could not have scripted a better time for them to discover that one. I literally laughed so hard that I cried :)
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

I don't think i'll ever forget that one. Really brought back memories of watching movies about posession, of all the features this one really puts fear into the gamer. On a brighter and comedic side I'm glad they've taken a curiosity to cows.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CreeperCannibal wrote:I don't think i'll ever forget that one. Really brought back memories of watching movies about posession, of all the features this one really puts fear into the gamer. On a brighter and comedic side I'm glad they've taken a curiosity to cows.
Oddly, I was not expecting such a strong fear reaction out of it. I guess knowing what was going to happen, it just became pure comic gold for me :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Success!!! After many cave spiders, squids, bats and silverfish, I finally got another normal baby cow, killed their corrupted parents, and bred the two normal cows. Now I have 3 normal cows it seems. The nether corruption can and shall be beaten...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Does this mean that we actually have to walk atleast 2 testificates back to our base in the overworld and have them swim across continents, build the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway or is a testificate turned witch somehow different from a witch? I can't imagine we can transform a normal witch into a testificate as that would reduce the value of testificates if you have a witch grinder.

Up until now i've avoided building any mega constructs. My mob trap alone has about 80 spawning spaces and generates a steady output based on a seemingly endless project of illuminating all caves surrounding the system.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Does this mean that we actually have to walk atleast 2 testificates back to our base in the overworld and have them swim across continents, build the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway or is a testificate turned witch somehow different from a witch? I can't imagine we can transform a normal witch into a testificate as that would reduce the value of testificates if you have a witch grinder.

Up until now i've avoided building any mega constructs. My mob trap alone has about 80 spawning spaces and generates a steady output based on a seemingly endless project of illuminating all caves surrounding the system.
Yeah, this does seem like a substantial change. (Wild speculation) perhaps they take some time to turn to witch, so if you bring them through the nether and back into the overworld (and away from the portal there) You can breed out a couple of new testificates and separate them out. Maybe the new ones won't turn to witches?

If that's impossible I could still see it being intentional that testificates can't travel through the nether at all. Maybe villages are expected to be a focal point that you have to build around like strongholds?

Also.... god damn that discovery vioki made me laugh out loud.