Mary's LP: Now with more dung

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

Mary's LP: Now with more dung

Post by Gilberreke »

I don't think she's on the forums, so I think I'll keep a thread for her, since it's my favorite LP. Mary does BTW!

Episode 1: Iron!
Spoiler
Show
Episode 2: Found a way to keep my inventory!
Spoiler
Show
Episode 3: Herobrine loves hemp
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Gilberreke on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gunnerman21

Re: Mary's LP: Now with more dung

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Oh god.. she knows so little... it's almost too painful to watch...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Oh god.. she knows so little... it's almost too painful to watch...
She reached full iron tools first night, I'm jealous at her skills.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, first episode was good for many lolz. Constant whining has dragged me down in the 2nd episode :)

This is definitely not the mod for this person...
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Not gonna hold my breath but I'm gonna keep watching for sudden mod change or her to start recording and be in creative mode lol.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DreamsofFury wrote:Not gonna hold my breath but I'm gonna keep watching for sudden mod change or her to start recording and be in creative mode lol.
It may as well be creative at this point as it's just gotten silly with the cheating.

There's really zero point punching wood all day if you're just going to skip the night or give yourself food. Sheesh...just spawn logs for pete's sake and cut out the middle man :)
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Well, she seems like a pretty good representative of the majority of the minecraft community. Gotta give her points for at least trying out a mod that makes the game blatantly more difficult though. I can't listen to her commentary but will definitely skip through the series to see what happens haha.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Chomamonka wrote:Well, she seems like a pretty good representative of the majority of the minecraft community. Gotta give her points for at least trying out a mod that makes the game blatantly more difficult though. I can't listen to her commentary but will definitely skip through the series to see what happens haha.
Yeah, with regards to her being representative of the MC community, one of my comments after watching that 2nd vid was "well, this acts as a good indication of why BTW is so necessary..." :)

I think what we're seeing here is the long term result of "Customize the game whichever way you like! Set your own rules! Who are we to tell you how to play?!", which ultimately devolves into "no rules whatsoever" for many. She comments that she's terrible at the game at some point, to which I thought "well yeah...you've never actually played it, thus you've never gotten better at it". I mean if your instant response to any in-game difficulty whatsoever is to cheat around it, then of course you'll never improve.

If that's the target audience for MC, then...whatever man. That's not a game I want to play, let alone make.
william711

Post by william711 »

that first episode reminded me of how ridiculous vanilla is.
"sheep drop mutton now!"
I totally forgot that mutton is a btw thing.
then when she said "I just want a bed" I realized how dumb beds are.
your first thought in survival should be food, not wool and planks. but beds are so wonderful in vanilla that they are better than food.
oh you poor vanilla noob, mary.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Another thing, vanilla players jump sooooooooooo much :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Maybe I'm just spoiled by good youtubers, but those videos are hard to watch. If the name Mary wasn't used I would believe her to be a 10yr old boy in terms of video setup, game play and thought process. I felt creepy watching it. o_O

The fact she doesn't even try to not cheat turns me off completely. She's an awkward commentator, which made me mute it three minutes in. Sorry, me no like that. :-\
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Yeah i agree that this person was not meant for youtube commentating, especially if she can't get rid of her little brother/sister in the background...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Saying that you won't watch it is one thing. Implying that someone should not be allowed to make content is quite another.

I'm not putting any more time into it after reading the episode 2 comments. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell her to stop.
Better is the enemy of Good
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

It's not that she's not meant to commentate, it's just that she has no idea what she's doing. An open mind, welcoming attitude to the challenges presented and guide readthrough with some improvements to commentating might help her survive without cheating and make the LP more interesting.

Edit: Ninja'd
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I've got to agree with Dave that I'd prefer to not see this descend into outright trolling.

A bit of good natured ribbing to encourage someone to play legit is one thing, but please try to avoid crossing the line there.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Episode 3 is out!
FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I've got to agree with Dave that I'd prefer to not see this descend into outright trolling.

A bit of good natured ribbing to encourage someone to play legit is one thing, but please try to avoid crossing the line there.
Yeah, I do really think that this video series represents one end of the spectrum and I actually enjoy watching the vids, so I'd ask everyone to keep it on the light side of things.

Of course they're all just jealous of her skills, but hey ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I jumped through the 3rd vid very quickly, but just happened upon one quote that did make me lol:

"Technically, setting the difficulty to peaceful isn't cheating".

Man...she really does try hard :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Man...she really does try hard :)
"Dude, all those apples were just luck. And apples are EVIL!!!"

Pure luck, that stack of apples in her inventory :)
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I'm looking forward to if her justifications fail apart: Will she accept that she's cheating, reject the mod as too hard or try and persevere? I'm leaning towards the first or, failing that, second.

For a second (having not watched Ep 2 yet) I thought apples dropped when you had golden dung on your hotbar.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Pure luck, that stack of apples in her inventory :)
Yeah, she's probably yet to realize that apples don't drop from oak trees in BTW, and thus that excuse was entirely transparent ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, she's probably yet to realize that apples don't drop from oak trees in BTW, and thus that excuse was entirely transparent ;)
The fact that she typed in the commands to spawn them on camera doesn't help either :)
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

I tried telling her about dirt slabs.

"Sorry, I'll worry about aesthetics later."

:'(
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

I sincerely hope she keeps trying. I really want to see her reaction when she finally reach and put down her first windmill. :)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

logorouge wrote:I sincerely hope she keeps trying. I really want to see her reaction when she finally reach and put down her first windmill. :)
My bet is on immediately whining about the bounding box :)
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

FlowerChild wrote: My bet is on immediately whining about the bounding box :)
Eh eh, I think you're right. I remember being quite surprised myself when I tried to build my first one. "What? Still not enough place?!"
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.