Pyrotecnics between vMC and BTW

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
utakataJ6

Pyrotecnics between vMC and BTW

Post by utakataJ6 »

So, people always complain about leaving floating trees, and I'm no exception. Recently, I had the idea to burn them down. Obviously if they're too tall to mine, one cannot simply use the flint and steel... but I was under the impression that arrows could be set afire. The solution? Set up netherrack, light it, and shoot arrows through the fire to the tops of the trees. Simple, believable, and quite cool.

But when I set up a creative target range to practice this...
Spoiler
Show
...nothing. The arrows simply don't light up. I know this isn't specific to BTW, so... am I being stupid? Is it because it's creative mode? Or do I simply remember wrong, and one cannot actually create "fire arrows" regardless of how intuitive it is?
Last edited by utakataJ6 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
Detritus

Re: Long-distance Fire in Minecraft

Post by Detritus »

It only works when shot through lava if I recall correctly.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

The minecraft wiki confirms that it's only lava, and also that this won't work as it doesn't ignite blocks, only entities:
Arrows shot through lava, but not fire, will catch on fire and show an appropriate animation until they pass through water. They can set other entities they hit on fire.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Only exception is that fire arrows detonate TNT (powder keg) blocks.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If you're looking for a creative way to nuke tree tops, try tossing a soul urn. It takes some dancing but it can be done.
Better is the enemy of Good
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Perhaps try a Fire Charge?
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

jakerman999 wrote:Perhaps try a Fire Charge?
Another vanilla feature long forgotten...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Ahhh, I completely forgot those existed. Same with fireworks, which at 1 gunpowder and 1 paper must make excellent Hardcore Spawn signal flares... or they would, but that they require brimstone which is so late in the tech tree.

Also, on a side note, according to the minecraft wiki signal flares might eventually scare wolves? That's actually a pretty neat feature when you consider the BTW implications.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
CreeperCannibal

Re: Pyrotecnics between vMC and BTW

Post by CreeperCannibal »

But one that would screw vinalla further down the hole. If FC had beated Mojang to fireworks, everything would have a good reason to fear them.
Back on topic: Fire charges are your best bet but they're brutally inacurate from a long range. Personally, I'd look at the uncut wood as leftovers to be cut later.

EDIT: Grammar
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Grass_Block

Post by Grass_Block »

You can do that, just with a hibachi instead of netherrrack, if I recall correctly.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

but it won't set blocks on fire