Early Gameplay Observations

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Mikko_blu

Early Gameplay Observations

Post by Mikko_blu »

So Flowerchild as i'm sure you are aware, i started BTW again recently. For those who aren't aware, i made a new map and spawned next to a witches hut. I was able to take over a wthe hut, pathetic as it may be, which gave me a free crafting table and means for shelter. Given that these huts can be found in swamps, i was naturally finding mushrooms for food. One of the things that i noticed was that even though i had this bonus, i was still hunting and making a mushroom farm before hunting animals, since i could farm a large number of them without fear of food poisoning or running out. I'm sure you're already aware of this, but again, just my observation.

While i was on the hunt for wood to make tools, i noted that the amount of durability really reflected the actual amount that it should take. That's to say that a wooden pickaxe should really not last long at all- and i was very pleased by this. This meant that if i needed more stone, I'd have to make more pickaxes, rather than before where i just made one, used it to make a stone, and then threw it in a chest to never be used again. This can be seen again with wooden shovels, as it was pretty much- to me- a "One use only dig a hidey hole" where before it was barely used, if i ever even needed to.

Moving onto my very very favorite new part of Better than Wolves- Hardcore Darkness. Man, i love this. I was afraid of caves before, but now, it's just great. There is real fear. I genuinely love what you did with the darkness, and like i said on my post on MCF, the immature "I want everything and i want it now" immediately opposed, but once i stopped my whining, i loved it. Reminds me of Don't Starve alot. The same goes for iron, it makes you have to stay in the "dark age" longer, before you can open up the next tier of objectives with the iron tools.

Another thing i noted was the spiders, i love that they shoot webs now. That was a really intelligent and awesome change, and quite unique.

I'll be sure to note more stuff as i play on, but again, thank you very much Flowerchild. You truly have created a unique game.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Early Gameplay Observations

Post by FlowerChild »

I appreciate the post man, and the one over on MCF, but this isn't really the place for glowing praise :)

This sub-forum is kind of an experiment of mine to see if it can act as a more reasonable line of communication than the old suggestion forum between the community and myself for feedback about adjustments that may need to be made to BTW. Please read over the relevant rules post.

So yeah, while I appreciate what you're saying, I'd prefer to avoid setting a precedent here, though do please feel free to post glowing praise anywhere else other than the bug-report section ;)