Auto Vine Farm - Exploity?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jorgebonafe

Auto Vine Farm - Exploity?

Post by jorgebonafe »

I wanted to make a vine farm in preparation to my mob trap, but I don't have a lot of iron to spare, so I decided to try an idea I had... It worked pretty well, but I wonder if this would be considered an exploit.... Any thoughts?

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gormador

Re: Auto Vine Farm - Exploity?

Post by Gormador »

I would say it is extremely border line. If not beyond.

What bothers me is the "hot swap" or the saw.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gormador wrote:What bothers me is the "hot swap" or the saw.
Well, yeah, that is the part I meant could be considered exploity... Anyway, just thought I'd show this is possible to do with saws so FC can decide if its something that should be fixed or not.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Pistons need SFS now instead of iron, so I think that goes a long way towards balancing this machine.
It still seems like it could be a potential problem, but I'm unsure.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Not entirely sure if it's needed to be nerfed or not, considering pistons now require a SFS ingot each. It might use less iron, but at that point you could also just use block dispensers anyways. :x
devak

Post by devak »

Not to mention gearboxes costing gold. Essentially you displaced the expenses from iron to gold (&redstone)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's a large complex and above all else, creative redstone build to get around a temporary limitation on a resource by spending rather a lot of others. It seems like exactly the sort of thing to be encouraged rather than stomped on.
Better is the enemy of Good
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Looks fine to me, and very cool. It seems a bit odd that the saw can just get pushed to another axle and keep running, but I wouldn't consider it an exploit so much as a quirky bit of MC physics.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Seriously, if this was an exploit, could it be fixed? Pistons can push blocks, saws cut things when they receive mechanical power, etc.

This is just a situation where doing this works fine. In fact, I would never use that many damn saws. It's just not economical man. Also, because this is pre-mob trap, how could you have enough iron for that many saws? I feel this is actually ideal, not exploity. Thanks for sharing this!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Jesar wrote:Seriously, if this was an exploit, could it be fixed?
Yes. Of course.

I'll think about it jorge. It certainly breaks a few of the conventions on mech power, but it's also pretty cool. My first instinct is to call it an exploit, but I just woke up, so I'll mull it over some.

There's already precedent set for this kind of stuff for the Gear Box and such, and really, on consistency alone it should be breaking the Saw and/or connected Axle.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It is an exploit but it's also encouraged gameplay that uses different resources and a lot of brainpower. The real question is whether having the saw not break when transfered could be used in a much more cheaty fashion to get around having to delve down into the bottom layers of the strata.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:It is an exploit but it's also encouraged gameplay that uses different resources and a lot of brainpower.
I said it was cool man, you don't need to reiterate the above. I heard you the first time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yeah, I posted this because of the precedent. When I thought about doing this I was sure it would break the axles since pushing a gearbox would, and I was a bit surprised it worked.

By the way, about the higher cost in gearboxes, that is actually not true. Making a vine trap like this does not really need more gearboxes, because the only thing I removed were the extra saws. I still need the axles to power them as I would if I had all saws in place. I only had to make 4 extra pistons and add some redstone and a turntable to control them...

Of course, I'm not comparing this with a block dispenser vine farm, that has a whole different type of material requirements...
mazer246

Post by mazer246 »

What you have built should be achievable no matter what. Now that I've seen it, this game absolutely needs moving table saws. Very clever and economic design IMO.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
~Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Yeah, I can see where it might... raise an eyebrow. But...

It really looks totally badass.
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

I'm actually surprised it was as complex as it was. Does the Saw-on-turntable-powered-from-above setup no longer work? I haven't kept a world around long enough lately to have gotten to that point.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Thorium-232 wrote:I'm actually surprised it was as complex as it was. Does the Saw-on-turntable-powered-from-above setup no longer work? I haven't kept a world around long enough lately to have gotten to that point.
It still works. I use 3 modules of that for my vine farm. Jorge's build is interesting though. if you have the redstone to spare, it's an even match for output?
not sure, needs spading.