Infernal enchanter max level

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
jkievlan

Infernal enchanter max level

Post by jkievlan »

Is there a maximum on the infernal enchanter? Does anyone know? The wiki says that each bookshelf equals one level of enchantment -- and it occurs to me that if I fill the entire 17x17x17 space, I would need thousands of levels to use it all. So...is there a point where more bookshelves don't add levels? Or is it just limited by how many levels I can feasibly get at one time?
Azdoine

Re: Infernal enchanter max level

Post by Azdoine »

At least one side (not top or bottom) of a bookshelf must be exposed to air for it to be detected by the Infernal Enchanter.
-The Wiki

I use enchanting pretty sparingly, but I'm pretty sure that you'd never need thousands of levels to enchant something, or thousands of bookshelves. Plus, you can still choose to use less levels than you have bookshelves.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

If I remember correctly, max number of enchants on anything is 4. That determines the maximum number of levels you'll ever need.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Azdoine wrote:
At least one side (not top or bottom) of a bookshelf must be exposed to air for it to be detected by the Infernal Enchanter.
Yeah yeah. I'm not stupid. Even using those rules, you'd need 3000+ levels to use the full 17x17x17 space (allowing for designs of various efficiency).
FlowerChild wrote:If I remember correctly, max number of enchants on anything is 4. That determines the maximum number of levels you'll ever need.
Hmm. So you're saying that the max level for a single enchant is still 30, as it was in vanilla? So maximum possible with Infernal would be 120, if I'm reading you right.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Something like that. The additional space is provided to allow people to customize their libraries to taste, not because you're supposed to fill the entire volume with bookshelves :)

If you want to create one that is small(ish) and compact, go for it. If you want a big building with spaced out rows of shelves, you can do that to.

If I remember correctly, I adjusted it so that the stronghold libraries were well stocked and shaped to be used for infernal enchanters.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:The additional space is provided to allow people to customize their libraries to taste, not because you're supposed to fill the entire volume with bookshelves :)

If you want to create one that is small(ish) and compact, go for it. If you want a big building with spaced out rows of shelves, you can do that to.
I built an entire 17x17x17 space to begin with :) The building is beautiful, so I'm not going to scale it down. I'll just have to design my shelves so they make the space look reasonably filled. Something involving oak planks between the bookshelves, I think.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote:I built an entire 17x17x17 space to begin with :) The building is beautiful, so I'm not going to scale it down. I'll just have to design my shelves so they make the space look reasonably filled. Something involving oak planks between the bookshelves, I think.
Well, nothing stopping you from including extra shelves if you have the resources either. I suspect if you have enough for 120, you've got the resources involved automated and can expand on that to your heart's content.

Really, that's the point here: that the resources involved be on a sufficiently large scale to motivate automation.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:
jkievlan wrote:I built an entire 17x17x17 space to begin with :) The building is beautiful, so I'm not going to scale it down. I'll just have to design my shelves so they make the space look reasonably filled. Something involving oak planks between the bookshelves, I think.
Well, nothing stopping you from including extra shelves if you have the resources either. I suspect if you have enough for 120, you've got the resources involved automated and can expand on that to your heart's content.
True enough, everything but the paper (gods, I need an automated cane farm). But for now, I'm going to just try to make 120 look pretty and worry about filling it up later.

Thanks for the input everyone :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:If I remember correctly, I adjusted it so that the stronghold libraries were well stocked and shaped to be used for infernal enchanters.
I always loved that. It implies that the stronghold builders were familiar with enchanting technology, as well as allowing for the practical use of just plopping an infernal enchanter in your stronghold.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx