Respawned Near Spawn?

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Jesar

Respawned Near Spawn?

Post by Jesar »

I'm playing strictly default, and died in a mine shaft to a cave spider. I respawned in some woods next to a river that looked vaguely familiar. I rage quit for two days, then psyched myself up for getting a compass and using the cobble I'd have left from strip mining for the iron for the pick to make a stone slab path back to base to start building up death immunity.

I load up my game today, turn around to start punching trees, and there's my base not too far in the distance. I spawned practically in my backyard, in a forest I had been slowly chopping down.

So, I guess I need to know what all the details of HCS are, because I don't know If I've just encountered a bug that gave me a mulligan.
Thalarctia

Re: Respawned Near Spawn?

Post by Thalarctia »

Unless it happens several times with a good bit of time in between each death, I wouldnt be too concerned about it - Random is random, respawning has an equal chance of putting you pretty much everywhere within the hardcore spawn range. Just enjoy your luck for now :)
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Thalarctia wrote:Unless it happens several times with a good bit of time in between each death, I wouldnt be too concerned about it - Random is random, respawning has an equal chance of putting you pretty much everywhere within the hardcore spawn range. Just enjoy your luck for now :)
So it doesn't automatically put me at the farthest from the spawn as possible? I guess HCS isn't nearly as foreboding as I thought. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No, you definitely get lucky from time to time. HCS is primarily intended to give meaning to death, and that's largely psychological. You don't need to spawn as far away as possible every time to be nervous about that happening, and thus fear death.

The "Oh...phew" moments when you get a lucky spawn can be pretty satisfying in themselves.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Jesar wrote:
Thalarctia wrote:Unless it happens several times with a good bit of time in between each death, I wouldnt be too concerned about it - Random is random, respawning has an equal chance of putting you pretty much everywhere within the hardcore spawn range. Just enjoy your luck for now :)
So it doesn't automatically put me at the farthest from the spawn as possible? I guess HCS isn't nearly as foreboding as I thought. :D
It's not as foreboding as most people think :) 1000 blocks is not that far, and it's relatively easy to get familiar with most of that territory to the point where you can generally find your base again even without a compass. I find that people who get really frustrated at HCS are just freaking out and not thinking clearly because they feel like everything they've done is lost forever. It isn't. Just take a deep breath, punch some trees, and either start working towards a compass or see if you recognize any familiar landmarks nearby. You'll get home eventually :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I was exploring an abandoned mine the other day and I was literaly full of goodies when I started to go back to my temporary shack and put them in a chest. I forgot that I had dug a hole all the way to bedrock in my shack and just fell and died. Then I respawned right in the middle of my base. It was one of those "phew" moments, specially since I didn't want to loose all the stuff that I was carrying, that would have been such a waste...

Yeah, sometimes you get very lucky.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: 1000 blocks is not that far,
2000 (2km is the radius, not the diameter), but no, it's not either way. Even though I haven't progressed very far in the actual tech tree in my world, I still very rarely respawn out of sight of one of my roads or land marks directing me back to spawn.

If you make the effort each time you respawn in an unknown area to place markers directing you back home (once you figure out which way it is of course), dealing with HC Spawn becomes progressively easier with time.

I'm sure that by the time I get to the point of building rail networks and such within my world, it will largely become a non-issue, which is as intended so people can focus more on late game progress and automation once they establish the infrastructure necessary to deal with it. It's all just a matter of adjusting your play style to take HC spawning into consideration, and accepting that building such infrastructure is now a part of gameplay and not just something to do just for fun when you're looking for a project.