A public thank you (Warning, rambling)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
-J-

A public thank you (Warning, rambling)

Post by -J- »

Seeing as how I've been more of a quiet one around these forums, I felt compelled to give the forum a little public "thank you" -thread. But anyways:

The first time I got around to stumbling around MCF in search for mods, I usually downloaded the really popular ones, by which I mean the mods that give the player game breaking content that such as "kill everything with one shot" -weapons, renewable diamonds and other wankery of that nature. I used to love that shit and didn't even feel bad about it.
But then I discovered BTW. I recall it was a month or so before the implementation of HC buckets (which I've learned to appreciate in my current world) and I fell in love with it instantly. I liked how the mod provided a bunch of technology in the world of minecraft without making it feel like a mod. It felt - and still feels - like the missing part of minecraft, how it was supposed to be made.

With the recent changes like hc-movement, -armor, -strata, -hunger and better wolves the game feels just right, like there's no other way I could have it. I've yet to experience the hc darkness first hand since my world got corrupted, but it was probably the best play I've ever had in minecraft. The pain of acquiring the first three diamonds had me on the edge and forced me to change the playing style I had gotten used to. I'm sure many of the other forum members know what I mean.

When I had played BTW for a while, I felt compelled to check out how it all began. I read somewhere around 600 pages of the BTW thread on MCF and all I can say about that is that I'm thankful for Flowerchild's uncompromising nature. With all the little shitheads over at MCF it must've been very infuriating to constantly keep responding to stupid shit such as: "maek hmp smkpl, nuff said" and "THIS ISN'T BETTER THAN WOLVES! WOLVES ARE AWESOME!"
And seeing how the recent changes make everything click in place I can only say this: FC, you're probably one of the most insightful and intelligent modmakers that there is and it is my sincerest wish that you inpregnate as many babes as possible and not one fewer.
Last edited by -J- on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
DukeCunning

Re: A public thank you (Warning, rambling)

Post by DukeCunning »

-J- wrote:-snip-
FC, you're probably one of the most insightful and intelligent modmakers.
This didn't seem "rambling" to me. Agree with all of it.
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

I'm also pretty quiet and probably don't say much to be encouraging, so...

I Agree and..

... Maybe people don't agree with all of FC's decisions, but everything FC does is well thought out, excellent quality, and has the "customer's" best game-play experience at heart. Most of us would have quit vMC a long time ago, if it wasn't for BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I appreciate the sentiment man, so I'd feel bad banning you over it. Please remove the homophobic slang.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

Out of interest to improve my usage of the english language.
Which part of the original post is homophobic slang?

On Topic:
BTW makes vMC a game worth playing.
I had my fun with the V version a couple of years back and I had hopes it would eventually become the masterpiece I saw in it.

As I'm pretty niche when it comes to my gaming interests I got used to seeing games go into a more casual direction to appeal to as many people as possible.
It is okay and actually appreciated by me for I have a daughter and I couldn't see her playing BTW in it's current state, as it would be utterly frustrating for her. She is going with vMC until the day she wants more. BTW is around to corner to deliver when the day comes.

During the development there was a rather long period when the Hardcore changes felt out of place. Basically in the beginning when BTW was a tech and block mod with a coherent theme and a lot of thought to it, the missing parts of vMC in the tech department.
For a long time BTW delivered the "now you can do, what you wanted to do" feeling.
Then Hardcore changes came and started out making some things an utter chore and only now, at the end of the hardcore development, all those puzzle pieces (Well, most of it, but you can't ever make the perfect game for anyone but yourself) fell into place to form a beautiful picture.
-J-

Post by -J- »

FlowerChild wrote:I appreciate the sentiment man, so I'd feel bad banning you over it. Please remove the homophobic slang.
Done and done. Sorry for that. Didn't mean to be vulgar.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

-J- wrote:Done and done. Sorry for that. Didn't mean to be vulgar.
Vulgar is fine (you may have noticed I'm Mr. vulgar), but I have a zero tolerance policy on bigotry.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Might as well add my 2 cents.

My first mod was BTW and I basically stuck with it as my primary, I started up shortly after your break from the unmentionables. I always ran with the occasional extra mod that was usable from time to time before they all got absorbed into the mess that everyone else seems to be joining, but I always stayed true to BTW. But a few months back disaster struck and my hard-drive failed, spent 4 months with nothing, once i was able to rejoin the cyber world the girlfriend already had a mess of crazyness modded into her game so I just jumped right back in, things got boring real fast and I wandered the MCF forumns looking for some mod to interest me again, I saw BTW again and instantly remembered the fun I had, and now I'm back and loving it.

Thank you FC for providing those of us that want to actually work for anything something to do, I will admit, individually I am not a fan of most of the hardcore features, but when they are all put together I love them, I just recently started using HC buckets and the stuff I gotta do makes me love every second of play.
-J-

Post by -J- »

FlowerChild wrote:
-J- wrote:Done and done. Sorry for that. Didn't mean to be vulgar.
Vulgar is fine (you may have noticed I'm Mr. vulgar), but I have a zero tolerance policy on bigotry.
Yeah, didn't leave a too good first impression there. I'd just like to make it clear that I've no problem with homosexuality whatsoever.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

To me, BTW is such a good implementation in Minecraft it no longer feels as a mod. It IS Minecraft now.
Now, that's how you know something is well made.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I ran into a player on my server who had no idea that a compass pointed to spawn. He had been playing minecraft for years and had never made one. That's one of the great things about btw-- almost every block and item is worth making for something.