Cube World! or YES another good voxel game!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
kregoth

Cube World! or YES another good voxel game!

Post by kregoth »

Ok it's been awhile since I posted another game to brag about.

A lot of you probably know about this game already, but for those that don't you should go check it out.

https://picroma.com/cubeworld

The game is Alpha, so don't expect an epic amount of content yet, but it's fairly decent for an alpha. The site though it has been getting hammered a lot and been down for most the time since it was released.

Good luck buying it. But to me $20 is worth the asking price, for what I have played so far.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Jesar

Re: Cube World! or YES another good voxel game!

Post by Jesar »

For 20 bucks, I do find it worth it, if only to dick around in. I'm lucky enough to have been able to throw my money at wollay and get my new toy. I'm kinda worried about how the infinite progression will work, and how balancing it will go. I don't understand why RPG developers haven't found an alternative to the leveling system yet.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

It get's better, bosses are your goal, they drop special cubes that you can add to weapons to give them boosts. Take time leveling up and learning what to craft, you'll want lots of potions. Also pick anything and break everything that let's you, explore like crazy you'll want to craft lots of stuff. The game also rewards exploration not everything is marked on the map, and some dungeons you run across are easier than missions or quests.

Also open your inventory and check to see if you have pet food, you can right click on it and see if any creature you encounter likes it, you'll turn him into a pet if he does :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, as I mentioned in IRC:

Who takes the times to make a voxel game without the ability for the player to modify the world and build in it?

I haven't tried the game, so it may be fine, but man...wtf?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I was equally confused by this game. Procedural, scaling, yeah yeah ok.... Sadly without the ability to manipulate the environment or passively interact (farms) there are a ton of other engines/games for this type of play...
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Yes, this game lacks building and farming, which seems to defeat the purpose, but the appeal of infinitely generating and personally unique feel voxel based world generation can provide can translate well to other genres as well. Games like Wow are fun, but imagine if the world was YOUR world and the lore YOUR lore. I have high hopes for this game as an exploration action RPG. However, seeing that wollay decided to give the game to the yogscast first to build hype, and hope has indeed been built, I can easily see CW getting devoured by the fans just like minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Jesar wrote:Games like Wow are fun, but imagine if the world was YOUR world and the lore YOUR lore.
I think you may be confusing what belongs to you, and what actually belongs to a random number generator.

Yes, procedurally generated worlds are great, but don't expect Tolkien.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I think his point was more along Brooks than Tolkien. The Schwartz is in you, Lonestar.

You can count me among those who not not really interested. Diablo was procedurally generated too but I never really felt any ownership
Better is the enemy of Good
Wookieguy

Post by Wookieguy »

This game looks like a lot of fun, but I am a bit worried that it will go the way of Minecraft.

Quote of DaveChaos' Let's Play:
"No no, he will own you!"
"Is there any disadvantage to dying?"
"No"
"Then lets just go for it!"

Also, I really hope that there are reasons to fight creatures besides upgrading equipment and leveling. You kill monsters in Minecraft to clear a path for yourself, and I hope that type of strategy isn't lost here.
Estimated airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow: 24 mph
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

Wookieguy wrote:This game looks like a lot of fun, but I am a bit worried that it will go the way of Minecraft.

Quote of DaveChaos' Let's Play:
"No no, he will own you!"
"Is there any disadvantage to dying?"
"No"
"Then lets just go for it!"

Also, I really hope that there are reasons to fight creatures besides upgrading equipment and leveling. You kill monsters in Minecraft to clear a path for yourself, and I hope that type of strategy isn't lost here.
I would imagine that he might add a durability to armor, giving a money sink and give a penalty to dying, making it mirror the MMO aspect he's going for a bit more.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I been playing for quite a while now, and have really enjoyed it. Biomes are HUGE, traveling from one to the other easily takes an hour, even from the city which generally is in the center of the biome. Biomes are fairly decently generated, they all fit their theme. Ocean biomes are massive and deep, with underwater caverns, and large islands. The procedural generation does really good, I have seen half a castle under a massive mountain, and it was fully functional and whole, couldnt even see the other side until I climbed the damn mountain.

Exploration in the game is very fulfilling I have had to climb massive mountains, plunged massive caves, even raided a temple. So far each find has been pretty good. The game really does a good job of staying fresh. the 24 day/night cycles is at a perfect speed, it's about 6 or 7 seconds for every minutes of game time. Nights are dark and if you have a crappy lantern, expect death a lot.

Now yes sadly the only "terraforming" you can do are with bombs, and they only work on certain stone, but the game is honestly all about exploration you're rarely staying anywhere, you're always looking for the next kickass place to do stuff in.

The death mechanic really needs are large downside though, like dropping all your stuff, or spawning back in a city? I am sure at some point that will be addressed. at least it reset's what you've done if you were in a dungeon, though multiplayer completely negates that :(

Combat is a ton of fun, my rogue can't handle anything unless I dodge and time my special attacks right as they make the enemy miss, and increase my MP. I can kill very fast if done right, but when low on stamina enemy's prove difficult, especially in groups. The enemy's do level with you, but the game does a good job of keeping the challenge. You do feel like getting stronger, enemies so far have not only gain power, but some use new skills as I believe they have their own pool of abilities they level. After a while they can knock you down more often, or dodge your special abilities more. They do use more skills, instead of just getting more health, in fact health doesn't raise much with them, they just become smarter and more versatile. Good thing in my book!

For the amount of content and enjoyment so far I can't wait to see what gets added down the road :)
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

kregoth wrote: The game really does a good job of staying fresh. the 24 day/night cycles is at a perfect speed, it's about 6 or 7 seconds for every minutes of game time. Nights are dark and if you have a crappy lantern, expect death a lot.
From what I have observed to far, night is just a pitch black version of day. I haven't noticed any increased mob spawns or different enemies. I would much rather be able to see what I am exploring when exploration and aesthetics seems to be the main draw of the game at this point.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Think i'll hold off for time being, mechanics seem a bit shallow and details regarding them are scarce.

While i enjoy the premise set forth by the game, i'm hesitant to jump in just yet.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

I am really liking Cube World, but I do Have some complaints.
Nights is dark as heck, Easy to bypass with your torch but you can not see passed the light.
Its hard to tell if you can take down a monster, different coloured names are not something I look for usually.

I like the slow leveling, makes it more fun I think. The Monster variety is fairly good so far.
Looks like it will be modable, which can lead to some interesting things.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

Could anyone help me determine if it can run on my computer?

Computer stats:

Rates 4.4 in Windows experience index
Processor: Inter(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
4GB RAM (3.87 GB usable)
64-bit OS, x64 based-processor
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Wasted my money, though on their own forums everyone said it would run on my specs it dosent work.

Attempted to run it on my girlfriends comp whos is x4 better than mine just for it to constantly give a directx error that I did everything to troubleshoot and nothing worked, so fuck it, i'm getting a refund.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

DreamsofFury wrote:Wasted my money, though on their own forums everyone said it would run on my specs it dosent work.

Attempted to run it on my girlfriends comp whos is x4 better than mine just for it to constantly give a directx error that I did everything to troubleshoot and nothing worked, so fuck it, i'm getting a refund.
You have to install this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Sinornithosaurus wrote: You have to install this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
Did and done on both comps, no such luck.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

He did release a tech demo, which you could download and run without purchase to determine if the game would run...