Is there anyway to make minecraft darker without a mod?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

Is there anyway to make minecraft darker without a mod?

Post by Panda »

Im just asking cause even with brightness on moody i can very plainly see everything for miles ahead in "pitch black night". It really kills me because im not afraid of the dark im afraid of the circumstance that monsters can spawn in these lighting conditions. Which takes something away from night...
Any obvious solutions im missing? (dont say dim monitor)
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Is there anyway to make minecraft darker without a mod?

Post by FlowerChild »

Not visual, but I spent the day yesterday working on gameplay impact to wandering around in total darkness, so it may help a bit with the "afraid of the dark" thing you mentioned.

At the very least, I suspect it will make people more cautious about plunging into total darkness.

Also, someone mentioned a mod in the BTW MCF thread the other day that provides greater contrast to dark areas, so you might want to look that up.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:Not visual, but I spent the day yesterday working on gameplay impact to wandering around in total darkness, so it may help a bit with the "afraid of the dark" thing you mentioned.

At the very least, I suspect it will make people more cautious about plunging into total darkness.
Thank god; Aside from monster spawns, I have literally no reason to use torches. Since monsters don't spawn within a certain distance of you anyway... :p
Panda

Post by Panda »

Yeah i just wish there was a mod that gave you the "void fog" effect when your not around torches at night, kinda like how it is in dont starve.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Yeah i just wish there was a mod that gave you the "void fog" effect when your not around torches at night, kinda like how it is in dont starve.
I considered something like that (using the blindness effect), but it really doesn't work right as it would also affect lighted areas outside of the darkened one you're in, as opposed to making them stand out like a beacon in the dark, as you would expect.

Not being able to see in the dark is one thing, but not being able to see the light that's leading you out of the dark is another :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Mehhhheee yeah after playing dont starve all of yesterday i came to the conclusion that not being able to see shit makes The idea of even a diggy hole shelter alot more meaningful and accomplished.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Mehhhheee yeah after playing dont starve all of yesterday i came to the conclusion that not being able to see shit makes The idea of even a diggy hole shelter alot more meaningful and accomplished.
Yup, agreed. I may run a couple of quick tests as to how to amplify that effect actually.

Please stand by ;)
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Mehhhheee yeah after playing dont starve all of yesterday i came to the conclusion that not being able to see shit makes The idea of even a diggy hole shelter alot more meaningful and accomplished.
Yup, agreed. I may run a couple of quick tests as to how to amplify that effect actually.

Please stand by ;)
o.O Ohh man i just got excited! (giggity)
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, here panda, found the post I referenced and found the associated reddit:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253 ... ry23094621

(be sure to check out the screen shots in the spoiler).

Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... d_created/

Turns out you can play around with it in the MC config file without installing a mod. It's just a setting.

I don't think that kind of thing is reasonable for above-ground, but for below ground it might just be, which is what I'm going to fool around with right now.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Holy Phallic objects go Flower go! Your making a pandas dream come true ;_;
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

As an aside, I tend to like to cue up thematic music when I'm working on something.

In this case:

;)
Panda

Post by Panda »

What the beans! That works perfectly, accept for with texture packs...? when there on it doesnt, any suggestion flower?
Never say no to Panda.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Holy Shit this is what the night should look like, this is with gamma at -0.5 and ohh man, i am not going out in that fucking night Q~Q

Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No time for giving suggestions Panda. Tracked down the pertinent part of code, and here's the result of my first test:
Spoiler
Show
That's on full brightness to boot.

Oh yeah baby :)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Fuck yes! This is a thing flower! im getting excited, im playing through my level with the gamma settings (and for all who want to try this and it doesnt work with a TP, the solution it to go to the TP>enviroment> and delete anything that says lightmap)
Never say no to Panda.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That looks really sweet! I like darkness being scary and I even think outside at night deserves to be darker. That said I still generally play with a fairly high gamma setting. The reason being that with the gamma set low even around torches it feels too dark so my cozy little cottage feels oppressive...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...I'm primarily interested in the gameplay impact here. The status effects I made to being in total darkness were good, but missing a little extra something as it was a tad weird to be getting status effects when they player could still see their surroundings. With this though...definite fear of descending into the depths :)

Thanks for giving me the kick in the ass to fiddle with this through this thread panda. It really puts the cherry on the cake for the next release.

I'm still not down with having the same kind of absolute darkness above ground (I've set it up so that this only applies in areas that are cut off from any lighting from the sky whatsoever), as my experience in the military only exposed me to one situation where I was absolutely blind outside once my night vision had kicked in (in the middle of a swamp, during a heavy storm). In all but the most extreme circumstances, ambient light generally allows you to see well enough to navigate once your eyes adjust.

I *may* do something with this during storms in the future outside though, as I think that would make them absolutely terrifying, especially with the lightning flashes briefly illuminating the landscape.
Panda

Post by Panda »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I'm primarily interested in the gameplay impact here. The status effects I made to being in total darkness were good, but missing a little extra something as it was a tad weird to be getting status effects when they player could still see their surroundings. With this though...definite fear of descending into the depths :)

Thanks for giving me the kick in the ass to fiddle with this through this thread panda. It really puts the cherry on the cake for the next release.

I'm still not down with having the same kind of absolute darkness above ground (I've set it up so that this only applies in areas that are cut off from any lighting from the sky whatsoever), as my experience in the military only exposed me to one situation where I was absolutely blind outside once my night vision had kicked in (in the middle of a swamp, during a heavy storm). In all but the most extreme circumstances, ambient light generally allows you to see well enough to navigate once your eyes adjust.

I *may* do something with this during storms in the future outside though, as I think that would make them absolutely terrifying, especially with the lightning flashes briefly illuminating the landscape.
Awww yeah im so happy with this gamma thing though!! also Nether:

Never say no to Panda.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

I messed around with the brightness table not more than a week ago. My experience with it fairly awesome the first few days; gathering stone became even more difficult, and I had to plan my trips back home carefully or I was stranded for the night.

After gathering much surface coal and some easily accessible iron, I finally decided to go in a cave, and things stopped being so fun. I felt like a very large portion of my success depended on luck, because the 13 block visibility radius of torches allowed for virtually no planning, and made it impossible to tell when things could fall from above (temp ceilings required everywhere!). The experience was off-putting enough that I gave up on the idea.

Come to think of it, though, the cave I was testing it in was fairly wide open. Looking at your image, it occurs to me that if I picked my battles and stuck to narrower tunnels, I would've had a better chance at making it...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

This is scary as hell and I want to be inside of it...
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The one unfortunate part about this I am noticing so far is that it makes Mojang's lighting bugs even more evident. Whereas before, the areas appeared as really dark until you approached them, now they appear as pitch black.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Maybe it'll give Grum a kick toward making them a priority then?
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Arg...just ran some tests on the nether. Looks soooooooo frigging cool, BUT, the problem is that it would basically totally trash people's existing builds in the nether requiring extensive relighting to make them functional, since torches weren't at all required in the nether before.

Will have to contemplate that one further. Certainly not for next release as it's not a decision to be taken lightly.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

So the ambient light level in the nether is not sufficient to allow vision in your new system?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:So the ambient light level in the nether is not sufficient to allow vision in your new system?
Oh no, it's fine. I just temporarily gave a try to applying the same rules to the nether for low light levels to see what it looked like given Panda's screenshot above.

Looks great, but has its problems. So no, no problem with the system, was just talking about an additional test.