FFVII has been released on Steam

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Pentagram

FFVII has been released on Steam

Post by Pentagram »

Hey all, just thought I'd let you know that Final Fantasy VII has been released on Steam today.

I have heard recommendations that you should mod it with the Anxious Heart project; however I need to wait until I get $12 to purchase FFVII myself :)

After a quick search I couldn't find another thread about FFVII on steam, however did find that MoRmEnGiL is a fan of the FFVII storyline ;)
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Mason11987

Re: FFVII has been released on Steam

Post by Mason11987 »

Pentagram wrote:Hey all, just thought I'd let you know that Final Fantasy VII has been released on Steam today.

I have heard recommendations that you should mod it with the Anxious Heart project; however I need to wait until I get $12 to purchase FFVII myself :)

After a quick search I couldn't find another thread about FFVII on steam, however did find that MoRmEnGiL is a fan of the FFVII storyline ;)
I just played it on an emulator a month ago (using my actual disc of course) and basically did a "complete game", accomplished everything for every character, and nearly perfect stats. I'd played through this a dozen or so times and I figured that would be my last one so I'd have no nagging thing to go back to. It's still plenty of fun today which is quite the feat for such an old game. I'm not sure I'd pay $12 for it, maybe like $5 or so at best.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

We have a steam thread you know? :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

"Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure."

...Did they really add MicroTransactions to Final Fantasy 7?...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

BinoAl wrote:"Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure."

...Did they really add MicroTransactions to Final Fantasy 7?...
...This is the same game that you can sell mastered all materia for 1.4million, right? How can you ever /not/ have money for...anything?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I think I'll stick to my PSX, specially after hearing about micro-transactions.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

It doesn't have microtransactions it basically comes with cheats.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah, what a ripoff.. they basically slapped in achievements and a cheat mode, and there you go.

A cheat mode.. For one of the easiest FFs ever.

No, I'll stick to my trusty psx version.
however did find that MoRmEnGiL is a fan of the FFVII storyline ;)
I'd go beyond that. It's the best game I've ever played, without a second thought ;)
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Niyu wrote:It doesn't have microtransactions it basically comes with cheats.
...Shit dude, that's even worse. It doesn't come from a need/want for more money... It comes from the desire to spoil the game for everyone.
Fantastic.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I still haven't been able to get past the first disc after having the character death spoiled for me way back in the day by an asshole cousin. That cousin left the room via the window and the game went into the bin and I've never been able to bring myself to finish it since. I'm tempted to buy this as a third copy specifically because of those cheats that would allow me to skip the grindyness and just plow through the story so I can finally see how it ends.

Different customers have different needs and desires guys.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I don't think FFVII had any grindy bits to be honest. equip all your all-materea as you get them and you'll have them mastered long before you need that much cash, and the random encounters give you more than enough levels for beating...well, everything.

It wasn't exactly the most challenging one of the series.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Unfortunately it seems this is just a re-release of Square Enix's version that they sell on their store, replaced audio with midi and all the bugs you can find.
The chatter seems to indicate "ROM + Emulator > Bad Port"
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I'd go beyond that. It's the best game I've ever played, without a second thought ;)
Meh, I really didn't like 7, I like 6 and 9 though, in terms of story that is (as if JRPGs offer anything besides story).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

Never understood the hype about ff7, i played it after 9 came out and hated it but absolutely loved 9, and still do today. While I have played 9 a few times I always quit 7 rather quickly :/ I kinda wanna stab Cloud o.O

I did kinda like the materia though :) but im not sure if I like the materia or 9's learning system better....
Rawr :D
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Well, FF9 had great artistic design, combining the classical Final Fantasy design with a steampunk style while FF7 was a bit more generic science fiction. But i guess that people usually prefeers the first Final Fantasy they played, At least that is what happens to all the people I know.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

9 had a very nice vibe and feel to it, nostalgic almost phantasmagoric (is that even a word?).

It's system though was vastly inferior to 7, even though it wasn't the broken mess 8 had for game mechanics.

While I loved the characters a lot, which is more than I can say for 8, and the plot is a good old fairy tale with steampunk flavour, for me it pales in comparison with the dark and brooding cyberpunkesque ff7. 7 was dead serious in its themes. Ecoterrorism, capitalism, slums, ecological destruction, deceit, unethical science, broken minds, anger, sorrow and a struggle almost biblical in nature. You are fighting to understand what is going on, and help the planet survive the legacy of an old calamity from the skies.. With a good bit of shock, loss and vengeance thrown in, and this is not something the game imposes to you, these are feelings the player gets, not the characters.

I would go as far as saying that I'd regard it as the best game I've ever played even if it was stripped of anything but the plot and made an adventure like game :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:9 had a very nice vibe and feel to it, nostalgic almost phantasmagoric (is that even a word?).

It's system though was vastly inferior to 7, even though it wasn't the broken mess 8 had for game mechanics.

While I loved the characters a lot, which is more than I can say for 8, and the plot is a good old fairy tale with steampunk flavour, for me it pales in comparison with the dark and brooding cyberpunkesque ff7. 7 was dead serious in its themes. Ecoterrorism, capitalism, slums, ecological destruction, deceit, unethical science, broken minds, anger, sorrow and a struggle almost biblical in nature. You are fighting to understand what is going on, and help the planet survive the legacy of an old calamity from the skies.. With a good bit of shock, loss and vengeance thrown in, and this is not something the game imposes to you, these are feelings the player gets, not the characters.

I would go as far as saying that I'd regard it as the best game I've ever played even if it was stripped of anything but the plot and made an adventure like game :P
Eh, I've felt that 9's upbeat and 'nice' feel was a good contrast to it's darker side; what with the multiple genocides, black mage clone army, corruption and the whole thing where the world is blanketed by a fog created from the souls of the dead. Seven throws it in your face, nine makes you look back and realise how fucked their world really was.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

Niyu wrote:Well, FF9 had great artistic design, combining the classical Final Fantasy design with a steampunk style while FF7 was a bit more generic science fiction. But i guess that people usually prefeers the first Final Fantasy they played, At least that is what happens to all the people I know.

my first final fantasy was 8, the order I played them in was :

8,9,7,10,10-2,12, 6?(a few of the earlier ones, one on the DS with the black knight who goes good, cecil i think it was? and a few of the earlier ones that got combined onto one disc think it was like 4,5,6?) then 13 was my last :)

I think my problem with 7 was mostly the controls o.O I played it after analog sticks came out for the ps1 and it annoyed me to no end that I had to use the d-pad instead of the sticks... that and my game got corrupted EVERY single time I got to right before
Spoiler
Show
aerith's death
Rawr :D
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I played 8 first and loved it, yes afterwards when I played 7 and 9 I realized how wonky and broken the game mechanics were but its still overall my fave.

Gonna replay them all the ones I own from 7 to 12 once I get a TV with AV hookups.