[SPOILERS] Thoughts on Mass Effect Trilogy?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
OpposingForces

[SPOILERS] Thoughts on Mass Effect Trilogy?

Post by OpposingForces »

I own and have beaten all three. I still feel a little ambiguous about the ending of number 3.
That said i loved this series, it's been awhile since a series sucked me in like this one did.
How ever i do feel slightly ripped off, let me explain.
during the past two games i made a ton of choices, some i agonized over, others i merely went with my gut reaction. However when three rolls around i come to find out a lot of the major choices i made are fairly pointless, or so i feel. take the rachni queen, i killed here in the first game, but lo and behold in three she's there, as a clone but she's there. WTH bioware? i choose to kill her so you replace her for your narrative?

That aside i'm happy to have played this series. it'll be hard for another one to replace it as my favorite over all.

What are your guys/girls thoughts on them?
Why do all the Zombies look like Steve?
murillokb

Re: [SPOILERS] Thoughts on Mass Effect Trilogy?

Post by murillokb »

I love the series, probabily my favorite sci-fi game. i played the two first games over and over. Never played the third tough. Part of it because the massive amount of spoillers i've got on it's release and part because it's not on steam. I may buy it next month now XD

Back on topic, there's LOTS of holes like that. I hate when you have to chose so much and get to the same end. Like in the first game you can influence garrus to a paragon or renegade side and it should affect the second game. I never noticed the diference tough (aside some small commentaries) :p

i'm looking foward to play the third now haha

do you think we will see sheppard in a fourth game?
OpposingForces

Post by OpposingForces »

Without spoiling the ending of three, i'd say no. and i rather hope that if they make a fourth game it's either a prequel such as during the first contact wars, or it be a side story based off of one of the books.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Next mass effect will be a prequel and Shepperd will be an npc.

On the ME series? It started well, when on great and ended... disappointedly. I mean the whole game, not just the end. See Bioware has dissapointed me three times in a row Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Star wars: TOR... not happening again.

Never again.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

TOR would have been a great game if they had made it a single player game with DLC for the other seven storylines. I would have ended up spending $200 on it that way.
Better is the enemy of Good
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I enjoyed Mass effect quite a lot and semi-liked the ending. I can see all the arguments against it but in the end certain things that had to be done where done, and I never expected an amazing ending in an RPG with so many choices. I feel it would take a helluva lot more time to simply write out all the possibilities. However I'd like to see more of the Star Trekkie feeling from the first one in any new games they put out. It's what drew me in at first, and what made me fork over the cash for the Citadel DLC.

As a side note, while I absolutely detested tying in multiplayer to singleplayer, they still managed to make multiplayer fun :P
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That's part of what really turned me off to it as well. I can kind of live with how it didn't really matter who you saved and who you sided with in the end. I could live with how there is no difference between how things turn out regardless of the players alignment.

Locking out the best endings unless you played the multiplayer was a step too far. Even getting every possible point from the story, you still couldn't muster enough to clear the threshold without spending time on multiplayer battlefields. The only reason I can see for this decision was as an underhanded form of DRM and that, quite frankly, is a bullshit reason.

The Origin requirement was just the final nail in the coffin. No game is worth installing that bit of spyware and I can't really put my trust in a system that has taken all the games away from customers for arbitrary reasons.
Better is the enemy of Good
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I think it was less about DRM and more trying to capitalize on the multi-player market by having a semi F2P system with leveling and grinding required to upgrade your characters or simply forking over cash for it :P. As well as the massive mounts of DLC map and weapon packs for it later. It gave me the feeling that the single player story was just a draw in to try and get you hooked on the multiplayer and end up spending more cash for the game overall.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

I thought the first game was great, the second was amazing, but the third was tragically disappointing. The first two spoiled me with this finely crafted universe, only for the third to leave me with... that ending.
Spoiler
Show
The third game also felt far too short to me, far too many missions were reduced to "go scan this", like rescuing the elcor, that could've been awesome, riding an elcor into battle against the reapers, with their shoulder-mounted artillery.

Seriously though, the third game just screams "wasted potential" to me.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
OpposingForces

Post by OpposingForces »

ah, yeah. i think bioware started down hill when ea bought them and pandemic. Dragon age origins is awesome, never even bothered picking up DA 2.
but yeah i never played the multiplayer on mass effect 3. sounded fun, but i play them on xbox and i'm too poor to afford live at the moment. lol.