Blood wood tree experiences

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Peter5930

Blood wood tree experiences

Post by Peter5930 »

When I read about blood wood trees before crafting my first sapling, I came across stories of them infesting the nether and being nigh-unstoppable except by concerted eradication efforts in creative mode, rumours of them destroying and growing through netherrack and speculation about the potentially counter-productive consequences of using fire to control them.

With my first sapling in hand, I carefully carved out a room deep in the netherrack, and another room above it where I cast a concrete floor in case the tree started sending tendrils up through the soft netherrack. I used a soul urn on it, and it swelled to adulthood. I watched as it slowly began to bush out and soon saw it encounter the netherrack walls of the room and... stop. I guessed the rumour about it growing through netherrack was false.

I pruned it back to the central trunk, hoping that it would start growing again once it had enough space, but it just sat there, sad and stark. I planted another sapling in it's place, then returned to the internet to find out more about the mechanics of blood tree growth. Armed with the new information, I decided I could risk planting one in the open, as long as I placed it in the upper levels of the nether, and away from any soul sand deposits. This tree grew up and out until it hit the ceiling of the cavern about 15 blocks above it, and continued to spread out horizontally a little, but I was disappointed with how well-behaved it was for a tree infused with the tortured souls of the damned.

I decided to take it to the next level and planted one right at the bottom of the same cavern, and even laid a small bed of soul sand for saplings to fall on. It grew, and grew, and grew, and obstructed my nether rail with a few leaf blocks, and caught fire when it grew into lava falls, but ultimately the growth slowed down as it encountered the ceiling, and the fires carved out large voids in it's interior which so far show no signs of being filled by fresh growth. It didn't destroy anything or turn the nether into a solid mass of wood and leaves, and if anything, it helps me by providing my nether rail with some extra cover from ghasts.

Does anyone have any experiences of blood wood trees actually being problematic? I was hoping they'd be a lot more invasive and difficult to control than they turned out to be, and I'm not sure why people made such a fuss over them.

CycloneSP

Re: Blood wood tree experiences

Post by CycloneSP »

From what little knowledge of blood wood trees I have. It's not the growth mechanics that make them invasive, but the spreading mechanics. Blood wood trees are still trees, so they grow up more than out. -But- they drop saplings when burned. This means that if you plant one near a large bed of soul sand, it will spread out of control by populating the nether with multiple trees, rather than just one humongous tree.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

I never planted one. I'm to afraid of it killing my fps.

one question tough, does blood tree spread affect fps at all?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Not really. If you get frame rate issues in jungles you might get a drop after it matures a bit, but it's no biggie - just play on fast graphics.

On topic: Getting the nether infested with blood wood tends to be a top priority for me once I get the tech for it. A newly-grown area might interfere with construction or rail lines, but once it grows you can cut back the offending area and it stays dead. On the plus side, they're brilliant for preventing ghasts from having a good line of sight on you, and look nice.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Stormweaver wrote:Not really. If you get frame rate issues in jungles you might get a drop after it matures a bit, but it's no biggie - just play on fast graphics.

On topic: Getting the nether infested with blood wood tends to be a top priority for me once I get the tech for it. A newly-grown area might interfere with construction or rail lines, but once it grows you can cut back the offending area and it stays dead. On the plus side, they're brilliant for preventing ghasts from having a good line of sight on you, and look nice.
I remember my release of the dozens upon dozens of cleverly placed bloodwood saplings (and then groth) all over one of the larger anarchy BTW servers a while back, so that a huge area of the nether would be infested. It actually made it much safer assuming I kept my steel armor on.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I remember when they first came out, something being mentioned about pigmen I didn't pay attention to until after.

By the time I'd came back, my sapling had grown a little ...large- and branched out into a nearby lava flow. Kinda like watching a phoenix rise from the ashes to fighting a hydra. Full on battle with the multi-headed beast proved unsuccessful, vicious regrowth enveloping me in burning leaves while more saplings took root.

I guess there's more than one way to skin a wolf, some quick thinking coated the soul-earth with stone and cemented a hard won victory.

Well almost, as a bulging mass reared it's ugly head over the clifftop. Turns out there was a small island of sand just above the lava ocean. Needless to say the war was lost, and I bunkered down to see how big it'll get.
[roughly 80 high, 100 wide and about 150 blocks long- a spectacular sight, thank you FC]
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Keep in mind that Blood Wood spread is highly dependent on the environment, which is as I believe it should be.

Regions of the nether with a lot of soul sand around will be highly conducive to spread, whereas if you plant somewhere that is fairly isolated from such patches, Blood Wood will have a hard time taking hold. I believe this makes it feel more organic, "natural", and alive.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The first time I planted blood wood when it was introduced, I planted on a plateau from which there was plenty of soul sand in view. I made the mistake of letting that world run for an entire weekend while I went out of town. What greeted me upon my return was a twisted nightmare mirror of Yggdrasil.

I wish I hadn't lost the world...
Better is the enemy of Good
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I'm actually legitimately scared of them, they grow so fast and they just keep growing that it scares me! They can't actually cause harm though....
Six

Post by Six »

I've never actually planted any myself, I've always been worried about ending up with something which would melt my computer. Although I have had an indirect experience with them on the official server. SterlingRed planted some and told people to avoid the Nether around his base. 30 minutes or so later I decided to head through my Nether portal to grab some stuff, only to be ganked by a mob of pigmen. Turned out our bases were a lot closer on the Netherside than I thought.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote:I've never actually planted any myself, I've always been worried about ending up with something which would melt my computer.
I really don't know how the rumor started or persisted man. They really should be no more processor intensive than a jungle, or consume more bandwidth than grass growing.

It makes me wince each time I hear something like that given the care I put into making sure they wouldn't be a performance hog, and given people seem to just assume they will be anyways.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think it just comes from ever other mod in minecraft where if you get a lot of mod blocks that 'do' something it consumes all your computers resources and tanks your FPS. You're one of the few mod authors highly cognizant of performance.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Six wrote:I've never actually planted any myself, I've always been worried about ending up with something which would melt my computer.
I really don't know how the rumor started or persisted man. They really should be no more processor intensive than a jungle, or consume more bandwidth than grass growing.

It makes me wince each time I hear something like that given the care I put into making sure they wouldn't be a performance hog, and given people seem to just assume they will be anyways.
Might be from their very first release, where blood leaves didn't have a 'fast' graphics setting. Lots of 'fancy' style leaves on lower end PCs can be a bit much.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

i really never had a problume as i always dig a huge room out and saturate it in cobble stone (except the floor which is soul sand) but i only do this as i just find i have an easier time controlling the groth and spread. otherwise i like blood trees
Peter5930

Post by Peter5930 »

DaveYanakov wrote:The first time I planted blood wood when it was introduced, I planted on a plateau from which there was plenty of soul sand in view. I made the mistake of letting that world run for an entire weekend while I went out of town. What greeted me upon my return was a twisted nightmare mirror of Yggdrasil.

How did you let the world run like that? I can only go AFK for about an hour before I starve to death (maybe two hours if I make myself obese).
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Peter5930 wrote: How did you let the world run like that? I can only go AFK for about an hour before I starve to death (maybe two hours if I make myself obese).
Could have been before hunger was introduced into the game before 1.8
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Peter5930 wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:The first time I planted blood wood when it was introduced, I planted on a plateau from which there was plenty of soul sand in view. I made the mistake of letting that world run for an entire weekend while I went out of town. What greeted me upon my return was a twisted nightmare mirror of Yggdrasil.

How did you let the world run like that? I can only go AFK for about an hour before I starve to death (maybe two hours if I make myself obese).
Yeah, "when it was introduced" was when AFK was perfectly easy, since you didn't need food if you stood still.

Obviously we're in a different world now though, which makes way more sense.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Peter5930 wrote:How did you let the world run like that? I can only go AFK for about an hour before I starve to death (maybe two hours if I make myself obese).
Well, hunger going down over Time is NOT in vanilla minecraft. It was introduced by Flowerchild around the time HCH was introduced IIRC, almost a year after Blood wood was introduced I think (can't quite remember). It's actually a common misconception that hunger goes down over time in vMC.

Back on topic: why is a blood wood infestation a problem? I see it as the BEST way to remove ghast spawns
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Just wanted to clear up something mentioned in the op.
Blood wood trees do not break or replace Netherrack. Netherrack is treated as a solid material. I believe the assumption that the trees would grow through it was started early on when people were paranoid about performance and afraid of letting the tree out of their containment.

Secondly, once you've started whacking away at a section of the tree, that area will not continue growing. If you're cutting a tree to harvest the wood expecting it to regrow, it's best to take it out entirely (by hand or fire) and replant.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It was also before the SSP/SMP merger and Minecraft would run for more than 40 minutes without crashing.
Better is the enemy of Good
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Yeah... if you can only run minecraft for 40 minutes before crashing you have some of your own problems. I can do that x10 just fine
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I can't remember the last time I had minecraft crash...
OpposingForces

Post by OpposingForces »

Good news and tips about the bloodwood. i think ill make one since they sound handy. as far as crashes in vanilla, i think there is some sorta memory leak. where as btw doesn't.
Vanilla 1.5.1 i get about 25 to 30 FPS and it uses 600mb and it climbs the longer i play till i run outta memory. BTW i get 30 to 40 fps and it only uses 350 mb., max i've seen is 500 with btw.
Why do all the Zombies look like Steve?