New Release! (Version 2.92)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

Re: New Release! (Version 2.92)

Post by Damion Rayne »

Gilberreke wrote:
foi wrote:They weren't useless though you need them for mechanical power in the Nether.
Oh, right. Has anyone ACTUALLY built one in the nether? That's a non-argument.

Yes, so you were saying what about a non-argument? :)
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

foi wrote: I just wanted him to think about that change.
I put a lot of thought into the whole rebalance. It resulted from one full playthrough of the mod from scratch when I tried playing the mod with Buildcraft, and then I played through the whole mod again from the start to test out and tweak all the rebalance changes over the past couple of days.

Considering just those tests took 20+ hours combined, yeah, I've thought about it quite a bit :)
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:tests took 20+ hours combined, yeah, I've thought about it quite a bit :)
Dang. You, sir, are one dedicated mofo.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Damion Rayne wrote:Yes, so you were saying what about a non-argument? :)
Not attached to anything = fail :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote:Yes, so you were saying what about a non-argument? :)
Not attached to anything = fail :D
Lol, funny thing is that i didnt even notice that
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote:Dang. You, sir, are one dedicated mofo.
Lol! Well, it's not like I don't enjoy playing Minecraft :)

But yeah, the 2nd full playthrough was a bit much. I noticed my buildings started looking strictly utilitarian, many of them consisting of foundations with no walls and stuff like that.

Also, my goal was to work through the tech tree as quickly as possible, so I didn't want to spend time on cosmetics too much. I got diverted a couple of times (like mining for lapis for a Detector Block for my Wind Mill...which I didn't actually need, even if it was nice), but in total that 2nd playthrough took about 10 hours total from start to Steel.

Overall, I wanted to make sure I left everything in a balanced state when I moved on to the next age. Since there is also likely to be a lot of rather powerful devices in the next age (Steel itself being very powerful in the tools already in the mod), I also wanted to make sure that the player really has to work to get there.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:
BinoAl wrote:Dang. You, sir, are one dedicated mofo.
Lol! Well, it's not like I don't enjoy playing Minecraft :)

But yeah, the 2nd full playthrough was a bit much. I noticed my buildings started looking strictly utilitarian, many of them consisting of foundations with no walls and stuff like that.

Also, my goal was to work through the tech tree as quickly as possible, so I didn't want to spend time on cosmetics too much. I got diverted a couple of times (like mining for lapis for a Detector Block for my Wind Mill...which I didn't actually need, even if it was nice), but in total that 2nd playthrough took about 10 hours total from start to Steel.

Overall, I wanted to make sure I left everything in a balanced state when I moved on to the next age. Since there is also likely to be a lot of rather powerful devices in the next age (Steel itself being very powerful in the tools already in the mod), I also wanted to make sure that the player really has to work to get there.
I agree with the changes, though I have to wonder why the "Suprise" was added. It's kinda funny really, and does make sense considering the materials Steve is working with and trying to mold to his will and uses.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Gilberreke wrote:
foi wrote:They weren't useless though you need them for mechanical power in the Nether.
Oh, right. Has anyone ACTUALLY built one in the nether? That's a non-argument.

Getting the glass there was probably the most convoluted task I've done in my life and this thing is completely useless, but here goes .__.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, this update definitely adds a bit more direction to the tech tree, but the change to the textures (sheet instead of individual files for each texture) is a little difficult to handle when you're trying to convert a texture pack from the old style to the new. There's a few spots where it's unclear which textures belong. Guess some testing (or an official response) is needed.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damion Rayne wrote: I agree with the changes, though I have to wonder why the "Suprise" was added. It's kinda funny really, and does make sense considering the materials Steve is working with and trying to mold to his will and uses.
Steve is getting into some pretty dangerous territory with the materials he is using, and while it may not be apparent now, many of the changes I implemented in this last release hint at whole new systems that will become available in the next age.

As a result, I wanted to include an element of danger in working with these materials so that the player is always slightly on edge when handling them (as he should be). If you screw up the process, the results are rather disastrous and I know from my own play-testing that it makes the whole thing rather nerve-wracking:

"Is the fire beneath my cauldron stoked?"

"Is my Hopper receiving mechanical power?"

I think motivating the player to ask himself these kinds of questions as a "safety check" when performing certain activities gives the materials a unique personality of their own and brings an sense of danger to advanced crafting that wasn't present in Minecraft before.

Keep in mind that Steve is experimenting with the very substance of hell in a rather willy-nilly fashion at present. I think unexpected results are to be expected ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:Well, this update definitely adds a bit more direction to the tech tree, but the change to the textures (sheet instead of individual files for each texture) is a little difficult to handle when you're trying to convert a texture pack from the old style to the new. There's a few spots where it's unclear which textures belong. Guess some testing (or an official response) is needed.
I outlined the system I use in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=652
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

FlowerChild wrote: Steve is getting into some pretty dangerous territory with the materials he is using, and while it may not be apparent now, many of the changes I implemented in this last release hint at whole new systems that will become available in the next age.
Yeah, on the BTW livestream diego is doing we spent almost all night talking over what is to come next and in all honesty our ideas were not that great.

can't wait to see what you do FC =P but for god sakes take that well deserved vaction!

Thanks for the update!

~Von
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:
Damion Rayne wrote: I agree with the changes, though I have to wonder why the "Suprise" was added. It's kinda funny really, and does make sense considering the materials Steve is working with and trying to mold to his will and uses.
Steve is getting into some pretty dangerous territory with the materials he is using, and while it may not be apparent now, many of the changes I implemented in this last release hint at whole new systems that will become available in the next age.

As a result, I wanted to include an element of danger in working with these materials so that the player is always slightly on edge when handling them (as he should be). If you screw up the process, the results are rather disastrous and I know from my own play-testing that it makes the whole thing rather nerve-wracking:

"Is the fire beneath my cauldron stoked?"

"Is my Hopper receiving mechanical power?"

I think motivating the player to ask himself these kinds of questions as a "safety check" when performing certain activities gives the materials a unique personality of their own and brings an sense of danger to advanced crafting that wasn't present in Minecraft before.

Keep in mind that Steve is experimenting with the very substance of hell in a rather willy-nilly fashion at present. I think unexpected results are to be expected ;)
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the changes. I was just a bit curious and that answers it all, I figure maybe you were hinting at a few things coming down the road with these changes. I also totally agree that these substances really should have drawbacks to working with them and you've done that perfectly.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
foi

Post by foi »

O.K. after creating 2 new Worlds and reaching Steel in both Worlds I am now convinced that i am right.
You see the way I play this mod is that I create a new world and challenge myself to see how fast I can reach Steel.
Once i have Steel i don't really play the World anymore and maybe just create a new mobtrap with a different method of killing.
It is just so much fun climbing up the Tech-Tree and constantly getting something new to create even more stuff.
The mod rewarded me for being clever which I really liked.
But now there is that one really tedious part where i have to farm 56 Hemp and Grind them all with a Handcrank to advance.

I'll stop my annoying complaining now because i can always go back and play with an older version or cheat myself the windmill and I really don't want to annoy you.

And sorry for the bad Grammar english is my fifth language and I am really tired.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

For anyone interested, I just totally restructured the OP for the mod on the MC forums to hopefully provide a clearer set of instructions to guide players through its use.

Let me know if I missed anything along the way. It was a big job that took me several hours.
foi wrote: But now there is that one really tedious part where i have to farm 56 Hemp and Grind them all with a Handcrank to advance.
Yeah, well grinding them takes all of 5 minutes (especially if you use multiple Mill Stones) and you can grow the Hemp while you do other things.

Sorry, but I'm not going to balance the mod for speed-runs.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:For anyone interested, I just totally restructured the OP for the mod on the MC forums to hopefully provide a clearer set of instructions to guide players through its use.

Let me know if I missed anything along the way. It was a big job that took me several hours.
Phew, just finished reading it. It really does give an idea of the scope of the mod, but I like the way you've put it in tiers; it stops it from feeling too overwheming, a problem many high-content mods have. All in all it flows a lot better than the old OP, and you can tell time went into remaking it.
Spoiler
Show
Typo in the "windmill" section:
This means that the Wind-Mill must have a clear-line of site to the sky

...yeah. Full page of awesome and I find a typo >.> Otherwise...
Good job ^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:For anyone interested, I just totally restructured the OP for the mod on the MC forums to hopefully provide a clearer set of instructions to guide players through its use.

foi wrote: But now there is that one really tedious part where i have to farm 56 Hemp and Grind them all with a Handcrank to advance.
Yeah, well grinding them takes all of 5 minutes (especially if you use multiple Mill Stones) and you can grow the Hemp while you do other things.

Sorry, but I'm not going to balance the mod for speed-runs.
Please please don't...*slaps Foi* I mean speed runs are cool and all, but if FC where to balance it so that you could, that would irritate the rest of us that are looking for some escapism. I don't like being irritated and loosing my escapism and having to deal with real life...
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damion Rayne wrote:Please please don't...*slaps Foi* I mean speed runs are cool and all, but if FC where to balance it so that you could, that would irritate the rest of us that are looking for some escapism. I don't like being irritated and loosing my escapism and having to deal with real life...
Well, if anything, I was trying to extend the timeline somewhat with the latest release (to make getting to Steel a real accomplishment and not just a quick way to avoid having to mine diamond), in addition to plugging some holes that allowed folks to bypass a large portion of the tech-tree (like by hand-cranking all the way to Steel) and giving players clearly defined goals at each stage.

At present I feel the mod provides a good solid 10 hours or so of gameplay beyond what vanilla does. Previously, if you really gamed the system, you could have probably done it in 5, and I feel like it was more of a "tech-cloud" than a tree :)

So yeah, don't worry about me speeding it up none. It's rather rare that I make things easier to accomplish ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: ...yeah. Full page of awesome and I find a typo >.> Otherwise...

Good job ^.^
Hehe...I won't take the spotting of the typo personally in this instance. Thanks for the edit :)
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

My god...I haven't read any of the forum postings there in a while. I think I lost a few neurons just looking at it. There are people seriously asking about how to get the flying rabbit hat!
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Necropolis wrote:My god...I haven't read any of the forum postings there in a while. I think I lost a few neurons just looking at it. There are people seriously asking about how to get the flying rabbit hat!
I saw that myself and just had to laugh at the "Stupid" of the people on the official forums. This release is really awesome and re-balances things out nicely, but yet there are still people on the main forums complaining about the "broken tech tree" and that just makes me sad they can't figure things out.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
finite8

Post by finite8 »

You forgot the Underpants.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
finite8

Post by finite8 »

This is how my first attempt went:
Spoiler
Show
Attempt 1
----------------------------------------
Hopper with Soulsand filter: Check
Hopper powered: Check
Insert 8 Netherack into Mill: Ok.. creepy noises but okay.
Place 8 Ground Netherack on top of Hopper: Ok. Another few creepy noises, but okay.
Place 8 Hellfire Dust in STOKED cauldron: D'oh. Didn't survive outcome (full diamond armour and full health too). Reloading save as my alchemy lab was levelled.

End of Attempt 1 (and Steve too)
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

finite8 wrote:This is how my first attempt went:
Spoiler
Show
Attempt 1
Place 8 Ground Netherack on top of Hopper: Ok. Another few creepy noises, but okay.
Place 8 Hellfire Dust in STOKED cauldron: D'oh. Didn't survive outcome (full diamond armour and full health too). Reloading save as my alchemy lab was levelled.

End of Attempt 1 (and Steve too)
I wonder, is it supposed to blow up every time? FC, any chance at clarification?
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
finite8

Post by finite8 »

My second attempt:
Spoiler
Show
Attempt 2
Added lever to turn OFF Bellows: Check
Activate switch to disable bellows: Check.
Place 8 Hellfire Dust in UN-STOKED cauldron: ....
Ran for cover and waited
Waited a bit longer. Went and killed spider patrolling outside.
Timidly returned and turned off Hibachi just in case.
Looked in Cauldron.
Whew. No Gast and i got my Concentrated Hellfire.

End of Attempt 2 (and Steve lives to mine another day)