New Release! (Version 2.92)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

Re: New Release! (Version 2.92)

Post by Damion Rayne »

Yeah Jukebox's are weird, the record has to be loaded into it manually to pull up the music file and play it.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

Juke Boxes have no inventory like Chests, Hoppers and Dispencers. For a long time there was even a bug involving the number of ejected disks (not sure if it has been fixed).

But who uses them anyway. As long as you can't "record" your own music and play it they are kind of pointless. Though I'm pretty sure there was a mod out there that let you set up a few mp3 files as disks.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Haidaes wrote:Juke Boxes have no inventory like Chests, Hoppers and Dispencers. For a long time there was even a bug involving the number of ejected disks (not sure if it has been fixed).

But who uses them anyway. As long as you can't "record" your own music and play it they are kind of pointless. Though I'm pretty sure there was a mod out there that let you set up a few mp3 files as disks.
See the thing is they could be so much cooler if Notch bothered to work on them instead of leaving them in the dust like everything else. Anyway this new release is epic anyway.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

I never thought of doing that. The feature was such a novelty, and yes, so poorly implemented, that I messed around with noteblocks and jukeboxes once and then left them alone forever. If there was some sort of recording device we could have our own recording studios. It would give us a whole new range of kickass inventions in the redstone department. But alas, bit too high tech for BTW at the moment. Maybe one day.

P.S. Not to mention that the two disks you could play were pretty rare, and weren't very good songs to start with.
Beerkeg

Post by Beerkeg »

thank you for all the hard work. :) no metter what.. it's still an heck of a challenge imo :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Could we make Hellfire dust in the Crucible as well ?
And any chance to produce nethercoal without having to craft it ? Like placing it in a crucible with stocked fire under ?
So we could automate the whole steel production by "simply" throwing iron, coal and netherrack into a water flow and make some small filtering system ? :)

On a side note, I completely forgot to answer the new-OP-thing :
Love the new OP you wrote, the different Tech trees and Tiers are really great, well done !
Now it's much easier for new users to understand what they should do, and with the latest tweaks there's a real tech tree, divided in easy-to-understand-and-follow steps, that will help people to forsee the incredible depth of this mod !
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Could we make Hellfire dust in the Crucible as well ?
And any chance to produce nethercoal without having to craft it ? Like placing it in a crucible with stocked fire under ?
So we could automate the whole steel production by "simply" throwing iron, coal and netherrack into a water flow and make some small filtering system ? :)
Hehe...you read my mind with some of this stuff man. So yeah, I'm definitely considering some alternatives to fully automate the process. I try to build such potential into all the new stuff I add (as I think the newest video you just posted and I commented on illustrates quite well :) ), but on occasion I do release before the whole process can be automated because of the work involved on my end to make it possible and because I've reached a stage where I feel it's "good enough" to give to everyone as is.

But yeah, I'll likely be revisiting the automation of the whole thing in the future ;)
Battosay wrote:On a side note, I completely forgot to answer the new-OP-thing :
Love the new OP you wrote, the different Tech trees and Tiers are really great, well done !
Now it's much easier for new users to understand what they should do, and with the latest tweaks there's a real tech tree, divided in easy-to-understand-and-follow steps, that will help people to forsee the incredible depth of this mod !
Glad you like it man! Yeah, as I mentioned elsewhere, I will likely be continuing to rebalance over the next while to reduce the "Age of Vanilla" down to only a few small items as I think integrating the old blocks into the tech-tree is definitely the way to go as I move forward. I really dislike having all those items at the beginning of the instructions like that, as I feel it's still rather overwhelming to someone just coming into the mod.

Plus, there are a few things likely coming in 1.8 that will require a rebalance of the old blocks anyways. Like, your much beloved BD will likely get a substantial recipe-adjustment due to the fact that I've heard mossy cobble will grow naturally here and there. Given that, the old logic of the moss being magical due to its growing around a monster-spawner really won't apply anymore and I'll need to come up with an alternative. I'll probably do that in such a way that the BD becomes dependent on the rest of the tech-tree to create.
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

FlowerChild wrote: I'll probably do that in such a way that the BD becomes dependent on the rest of the tech-tree to create.
Perhaps enchanting the blocks with alchemy to be used for BD? that would fall in tier 4 where basic alchemy is made though, and wouldn't fall in the age of vanilla anymore. But because of BD's abilities and usefulness it maybe a good idea to hold it back till later on. Just an Idea :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TyberAlyx wrote: Perhaps enchanting the blocks with alchemy to be used for BD? that would fall in tier 4 where basic alchemy is made though, and wouldn't fall in the age of vanilla anymore. But because of BD's abilities and usefulness it maybe a good idea to hold it back till later on. Just an Idea :)
I was NOT asking for suggestions. Please only make those in the suggestion subforum so I can avoid ever having to read them.

Thanks.
Grateful42

Post by Grateful42 »

Love the re-balancing your doing flower. I actually restarted my world because i was hand cranking my way to steel, just didn't feel right to me. Keep up the good work dude!
TyberAlyx

Post by TyberAlyx »

FlowerChild wrote: Thanks.
sorry, didn't mean to offend, just starting a conversation. :)
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

TheMentat wrote:long time BTWer, first time poster
secondly, i cant seem to power the hopper for some reason, tried both redstone and mechanical power to no avail... the hopper is still destroyed after 8 dusts
however, i found a small workaround (maybe a bug?) if you throw a whole stack on the hopper in one batch the hopper will still be destroyed but the whole stack will convert
I had the same problem as this..or is the hopper still supposed to break and just not summon a ghast?
Last edited by grimper12341 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Grateful42 wrote:Love the re-balancing your doing flower. I actually restarted my world because i was hand cranking my way to steel, just didn't feel right to me. Keep up the good work dude!
Thanks man! Glad folks are enjoying the changes! :)
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:Thanks man! Glad folks are enjoying the changes! :)
Heck, i don't even play with a complelety legitimate world, and i like the change simply because it adds more reasons to build automated systems.

Also, once i'm done planning and removing the top of a mountain for it, It means i can make a Ghast Hatchery. Which is awesome.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

It could make a good devious trap. a set of combination switches protecting a room that contains a Chest, A Hopper and an Item dispenser... Each time you get a combo wrong, some dust is dropped into the hopper. Once you get it wrong 8 times Boom! the circuit is permanently destroyed (along with any loot) and you get your own Ghast to deal with to boot.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

A chest, a cauldron* and an item dispenser.

Hoppers just break, it's the cauldrons over stoked fires that go boom :3
finite8

Post by finite8 »

grimper12341 wrote:A chest, a cauldron* and an item dispenser.

Hoppers just break, it's the cauldrons over stoked fires that go boom :3
Oh trust me, I'm aware of the cauldrons exploding.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
rosstafan

Post by rosstafan »

Please flower,
Battosay does not need another thing to automate
The list I could make of all the things this mod is better than.
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

rosstafan wrote:Please flower,
Battosay does not need another thing to automate
Yes, yes he does. How dare thee try and stifle the creative epicness that is the Battosay!
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Tallinu

Post by Tallinu »

FlowerChild wrote:
Battosay wrote:Could we make Hellfire dust in the Crucible as well ?
Hehe...you read my mind with some of this stuff man. So yeah, I'm definitely considering some alternatives to fully automate the process. I try to build such potential into all the new stuff I add (as I think the newest video you just posted and I commented on illustrates quite well :) ), but on occasion I do release before the whole process can be automated because of the work involved on my end to make it possible and because I've reached a stage where I feel it's "good enough" to give to everyone as is.

But yeah, I'll likely be revisiting the automation of the whole thing in the future ;)
Battosay wrote:On a side note, I completely forgot to answer the new-OP-thing :
Glad you like it man! Yeah, as I mentioned elsewhere, I will likely be continuing to rebalance over the next while to reduce the "Age of Vanilla" down to only a few small items as I think integrating the old blocks into the tech-tree is definitely the way to go as I move forward. I really dislike having all those items at the beginning of the instructions like that, as I feel it's still rather overwhelming to someone just coming into the mod.

Plus, there are a few things likely coming in 1.8 that will require a rebalance of the old blocks anyways. Like, your much beloved BD will likely get a substantial recipe-adjustment due to the fact that I've heard mossy cobble will grow naturally here and there. Given that, the old logic of the moss being magical due to its growing around a monster-spawner really won't apply anymore and I'll need to come up with an alternative. I'll probably do that in such a way that the BD becomes dependent on the rest of the tech-tree to create.
I just started using BTW yesterday, and I'm very impressed. At first it seemed pretty complicated, with all the steps required to get from point A to point D - not just more crafting recipes, but so many cases where you have to run things through all sorts of other devices like the saw and millstone and cauldron... But I think the new format of the OP helped me get things figured out a lot more easily. I've been running RedPower and Buildcraft for around a month, and started thinking about this one when you began adding Forge support. But the last time I'd looked at the OP before installing it the other day, it still had netherrack in the hibachi recipe and such. So all the extra steps caught me by surprise. And so did the boat-like hopper deconstructions.

I was able to stop losing hoppers by removing and reassembling the hopper after tossing only 7 or less dust on top of it. I was low on wood at the time so I didn't do any further experimenting. Would changing the soulsand filter also reset the counter? And why does it reliably blow itself to pieces, losing the most expensive component, after only 1/3 of a hibachi worth of dust? (And don't you need nine of them along with a bellows for one of the items to work? Or am I confused?)

There are a couple other things I'd like to mention that also seem relevant to the discussion here. Firstly, while the new OP is great, I found one aspect of the format really confusing until I figured it out. As an example, in the "Requirements to move to the next Age" for Vanilla, it says "Construct a Hand Crank and Mill Stone". So the first thing I did was search through all of the Age of Vanilla's recipes, trying to find those items, but they didnt' seem to be listed as things you could build with the tools available in that age! I found them, of course, listed in the section for the same age they were supposedly required in order to enter. This is bizarre and seems rather inconsistent. The same applies, in my opinion, to the "requirements to move to" each successive Age. I would think that prerequisites for Age B should be part of Age A which you're currently in. The way it's written now, it's like a catch 22, saying "You can't build the stuff in the next tech level until you've built some of the stuff in the next tech level". It may seem like a minor nitpick about formatting, but I wasted quite some time puzzling over it until I figured out that what it meant was basically "start the next age by building the main tools of that age".

Finally, the one other bit of frustration I had when I actually started playing it. I started a new world, did some mining, killed cows, did more mining, found a dungeon and gathered a bunch of mossy cobblestone, and started building a hemp farm... About that time I finally found a wolf and tamed it. I had read that their dung was needed to advance, so I let him wander around near me while I worked on the farm, and next thing I knew he got turned into a block and I couldn't find a way to free him. I even did some research on youtube and the forums. And discovered that the only real use for the thing is either to slice it into a gory half-wolf slab, or to repeatedly torture it in a millstone for infinite string and red dye, pulling it to safety only to put it right back in and repeat the process, halfway-killing it as many times as you like. You just got done removing a wool to string recipe that let you get string too easily, and yet you can get infinite string and red dye by repeating three easy steps indefinitely? That seems rather strange .

I couldn't find any other wolves to replace that one, either, despite all the exploring I was doing, so I was stuck with no dung and unable to make a saw. I finally scrapped that world and loaded up a (backed up) world where I was already getting fairly established with the help of Buildcraft and had been making contraptions with RedPower, and I already had a little kennel with half a dozen wolves to be nice little pooperdogs. (That's where I am now, having "Fun" (in the Dwarf Fortress sense) misadventures with Hellfire and making fancy piston circuits and pipe networks to automate hemp farming and millstones and craft their output into ropes, then dump that into a hopper (along with other fun stuff) which pours them into a minecart which travels to where I'm building an elevator and so on and so forth! :D)

It seems like the "companion cube" is the mod's mascot or something, and that's fine, I'm sure some people like it... But when you're revisiting the Block Dispenser, would it be too much to ask to add a configuration option to allow some of us to disable sucking up wolves if we don't want that happening (accidentally OR deliberately)? I'm sure my Minecraft-playing niece would have just as much of a blast as I am with the mechanical power and various other features of this mod, but I wouldn't want to have to explain to her mother how I let her torture video game creatures. ;)

(Edit: OH... Mechanically powered! To open the spigot! Not redstone-powered! I'm so used to the terminology referring to the latter... No wonder I was having trouble.)
Last edited by Tallinu on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Tallinu wrote:It seems like the "companion cube" is the mod's mascot or something, and that's fine, I'm sure some people like it... But when you're revisiting the Block Dispenser, would it be too much to ask to add a configuration option to allow some of us to disable sucking up wolves if we don't want that happening (accidentally OR deliberately)? I'm sure my Minecraft-playing niece would have just as much of a blast as I am with the mechanical power and various other features of this mod, but I wouldn't want to have to explain to her mother how I let her torture video game creatures. ;)
It's not torture, it's improvement :)

That said, there's not that huge a gap between 'creating a cubic wolf' and 'running around mercilessly hacking at innocent farm animals with a axe for creating new machines'. In a lot of ways, even the vMC act of killing ~30 cows and strapping their still-fleshy skins to your body as a form of light protection could be seen as...well, not very child friendly.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Tallinu

Post by Tallinu »

It's a question of degree. Killing mobs is one thing - people do kill animals for food and other materials, especially in primitive conditions. And vanilla MC simply glosses over the process of creating armor, effectively wrapping up all of the things you normally do to leather (or other materials) into "the crafting process" which takes a single click.

No, my sister would have a fit if I put a mod on her daughter's game which let you stick a wolf trapped in cotton candy into a millstone and grind away at it repeatedly, making it emit screams of pain, over and over again, especially considering the fake blood and guts it spits out as rewards for doing this. (Hello? Red dye and string? What else is that supposed to represent? And you can keep doing it forever on a single wolf, if you can turn a deaf ear to the sound effects, lol.)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, sorry man. I do appreciate your enjoying the mod, but being child-friendly is definitely not one of my goals.

I actually spent a portion of my career (the latter part) in the game-industry working on titles for children, so I'm fairly sick of having to worry about what's appropriate for them or not. If anything, I rather revel in not having those restrictions placed on my creativity for a change.

Also, considering that the most recent part of the mod requires you to torture souls that you bring back from hell with you in order to progress up the tech-tree, I think there are far bigger things in this mod to worry about if giving it to a child (not to mention hemp cultivation and cannibalism).

From a gameplay perspective, having your wolf accidentally swallowed by a Block Dispenser is the kind of thing that happens once, then you know well enough to keep your pets away from machines while they're in operation. By the same token, I certainly wouldn't prevent all the fire that the devices latter in the tech-tree require, from setting wolves aflame just to make them safer, or prevent them from hopping up on a Saw.

Lastly, this is a mod I am largely making for my own enjoyment, and one of the things I enjoy is dark and twisted humor in my games. Removing that element would be removing some of the enjoyment I derive both from making it and from playing it. Even allowing an option to turn it off would remove some of that pleasure, as frankly, I also enjoy making overly sensitive people squirm.

I've considered at times putting a voluntary mature rating on the mod (and may eventually do so if I continue to push things further), but no, I definitely won't consider toning it down.

I will say one thing though. At some point I may challenge "Evil Minecraft" about their name. Giant chickens and green exploding pigs are evil? I think not :)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Also, Notch just added cannibalism to vMC too, Zombies now drop rotten flesh which you can eat. Hooray! For some reason it makes you sick though, can't imagine why.

The Endermen could be enough to give adults nightmares, so I don't think Minecraft with zombies and giant spiders is that child friendly anyway (depending on the age of the child).
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, sorry man. I do appreciate your enjoying the mod, but being child-friendly is definitely not one of my goals.

I actually spent a portion of my career (the latter part) in the game-industry working on titles for children, so I'm fairly sick of having to worry about what's appropriate for them or not. If anything, I rather revel in not having those restrictions placed on my creativity for a change.

Also, considering that the most recent part of the mod requires you to torture souls that you bring back from hell with you in order to progress up the tech-tree, I think there are far bigger things in this mod to worry about if giving it to a child (not to mention hemp cultivation and cannibalism).

From a gameplay perspective, having your wolf accidentally swallowed by a Block Dispenser is the kind of thing that happens once, then you know well enough to keep your pets away from machines while they're in operation. By the same token, I certainly wouldn't prevent all the fire that the devices latter in the tech-tree require, from setting wolves aflame just to make them safer, or prevent them from hopping up on a Saw.

Lastly, this is a mod I am largely making for my own enjoyment, and one of the things I enjoy is dark and twisted humor in my games. Removing that element would be removing some of the enjoyment I derive both from making it and from playing it. Even allowing an option to turn it off would remove some of that pleasure, as frankly, I also enjoy making overly sensitive people squirm.

I've considered at times putting a voluntary mature rating on the mod (and may eventually do so if I continue to push things further), but no, I definitely won't consider toning it down.

I will say one thing though. At some point I may challenge "Evil Minecraft" about their name. Giant chickens and green exploding pigs are evil? I think not :)
Glad to see you sticking to your guns regardless FC.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development