How much is a lot of fish?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
william711

How much is a lot of fish?

Post by william711 »

I fished for two nights in a row, the first night I got 7 fish and in the second night I got 8 fish. this seemed like a lot of fish to me because if I could get that much fish every night then fishing would actually be a fairly sustainable food source as long as I didn't go caving every day. I realized however that I had never really fished for a whole night in vMC so I demodded my game and went to test this out. I caught 14 fish, however I probably missed about 4 bites so I would put it at 18. 8 fish a night still seems like a lot to me, so my question is

am I just getting really lucky and catching a lot of fish at night (it was not a full moon nor was it raining by the way)
or am I just playing in a weird way so as not use a lot of my food bar each day.
Taleric

Re: How much is a lot of fish?

Post by Taleric »

What bait are you using and the area you are casting into?
william711

Post by william711 »

I am using zombie flesh , and I am casting into a river beside my fort
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Wow never got rates like that from an ocean. Maybe I should go to a river!

You should be able to get even more during the day! I would consider that fair for the time and resources invested. You might not be moving much during the day or just have a very accessible base.

Good news for sure IMO. Prevents spawn sustenance failure due to over harvesting/slaughtering.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This is also not a decent size sample set. You're basically telling fish stories as a result :)

It does sound rather high for night time.
william711

Post by william711 »

alright, I will continue my night time escapades and return if I continue getting these rates, however I am in need of more bait.

as for fishing stories, I would rather tell you about the morning after when I accidentally dropped my fishing rod on the ground while trying to bait it. I dropped off of my little perch on the wall and grabbed then proceeded to walk around to the front of my house to get back in. I was surprised to discover that a zombie had broken down my door and I was lucky enough to see a creeper walk into my house. I was able to lure the green fiend out and safely return to my house, but I am using dirt half slabs for my doors now.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

I get around that amount for a night too. For the day I see very little difference although at dusk/dawn I can catch sometimes three fish in quick repetition i.e. within 5-10 seconds of each other. Heck I got one bite just as my float landed. From fishing before this new patch and after, the fishing rate has increased dramatically it seems now its only limited by how much waste meat you have on hand. Which makes sense now since you don't want to be waiting 2-3mins (as it appeared before the patch) for a bite now that you're using more resources to fish. I do like how I'm now indirectly eating zombies.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This thread just inspired me to check the code and it turns out that there was a bug that would almost always treat it as if it was day-time. Will be fixed in the next release.

So yes, you're getting more fish than you should at night :)