Stonehearth - 3D Dwarf Fortress-esc game on Kickstarter

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
gftweek

Stonehearth - 3D Dwarf Fortress-esc game on Kickstarter

Post by gftweek »

While much simpler than Dwarf Fortress at the moment, it looks like it takes a lot of inspiration from it. Plus Cthulhu boss mob!

It is built with modding and scripting in mind for new mobs and player created quests in addition to the core survival/building gameplay.

The downside is, it isn't due for release till September 2014.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159 ... tonehearth
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Stonehearth - 3D Dwarf Fortress-esc game on Kickstarter

Post by Sarudak »

I'm a tad confused by the voxelly graphics. It doesn't look like this is actually a voxel based creative building game like minecraft or even dwarf fortress. It seems like they're just adopting the voxel-like graphics to try to play on the success of minecraft maybe?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

I think they are going for a voxelated anime style of graphics like 3D Dot Game Heroes.

There is some questions in the FAQ about underground fortresses and similarities to Dwarf Fortress.

In the video it shows a character building a house a block at a time, but I assume it is following a pre-generated template, which look like they are editable.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Sarudak wrote:I'm a tad confused by the voxelly graphics. It doesn't look like this is actually a voxel based creative building game like minecraft or even dwarf fortress. It seems like they're just adopting the voxel-like graphics to try to play on the success of minecraft maybe?
Actually it is voxel based building. Every resource for every building has to be gathered block by block and every structure has to be built block by block.

Here is a dev video that I fould pretty interesting:
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Honestly I've come to really appreciate voxel graphics even in non-voxel based building games. The clean look allows me to fill in the blanks and paint a really cool picture in my head whereas in games with realistic graphics a single imperfection feels totally immersion breaking.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

it looks realy intersting an if i had the money I think I might back it, my only concern is that it seems to be fairly similar to timber and stone
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I think it looks nice. Can tell that the moment there's a moddable beta/public release, someone will make a minecraft TP for it though. And it will look amazing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
IzBatt

Post by IzBatt »

This game is basically already made by another person http://www.timberandstonegame.com/
They look very similar and I wonder how this one plays....

edit: the modding in Stonehearth is a feature not available in timberandstone...
"The people who started the war are the reason. And unless you fight to get rid of the reason, nothing will ever change. I fight to get rid of the reason."-Bart
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

To be honest, all this 3D feels overrated. What does a 3D dwarf fortress offer over, say, an isometric dwarf fortress? Asides from increased internal complexity of course.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Foxy Boxes wrote:To be honest, all this 3D feels overrated. What does a 3D dwarf fortress offer over, say, an isometric dwarf fortress? Asides from increased internal complexity of course.
For that matter, what does an isometric view offer over a slice-based view? They're just different ways of presenting the information.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Katalliaan wrote:
Foxy Boxes wrote:To be honest, all this 3D feels overrated. What does a 3D dwarf fortress offer over, say, an isometric dwarf fortress? Asides from increased internal complexity of course.
For that matter, what does an isometric view offer over a slice-based view? They're just different ways of presenting the information.
While i do agree they are different ways to present information, isometric allow for multi-level scouting and exploration. Being able to see multiple surfice levels of topography is important and quite frankly one of the main reasons people think DF is so hard is the slice-based view that at times can be overly confusing for begginers.

Also pixelated art is all the rage this days, using it as art design direction and marketing it as "lego-like"
is really smart. The module stuff didnt really fit the play style i was hoping for but it has potential. If they add house design (as opposed to pre-fabricated as shown in the demo) and some mining im sold.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Katalliaan wrote:
I know right? What can a slice-based view offer that a few text prompts can't anyway?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Stormweaver wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:
I know right? What can a slice-based view offer that a few text prompts can't anyway?
Seriously guys! Why can't we all just learn to read binary?
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:
Read binary? We should be able to work it out from the electrical impulses!
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Foxy Boxes wrote:
TheGatesofLogic wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:
Ohhh!!! Idea!!! How about we all get a life and play a board game with some friends?

But seriously, is this game going to be actually voxel-based? Or poxel-based like how minecraft is?
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Long chain of quotes
Spoiler
Show
Foxy Boxes wrote:
TheGatesofLogic wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:
Or move to New Zealand and start construction on your very own fortress!
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

just saw this on steam greenlight and it looks rather cool :)
Rawr :D