How far are you?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BobSlingblade679

How far are you?

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Thought it would be interesting to see how far people have gotten up the tech tree since 4.66.

I just got sfs the day before yesterday and just found my first non-abandoned village with potatoes. I'm currently trying to find my way back to my last portal through the nether.

I'd prefer to know about people that have restarted after 4.66 but if you restarted on a previous patch just please note which one.
Padfoote

Re: How far are you?

Post by Padfoote »

Started a server with my friend with the release of 4.66. As it stands we currently have the ability to produce steel and I've begun doing some basic automation. As for crops we currently have everything through a few lucky adventures. :)

The one thing we still refuse to do though is try to take over the Nether. Out of our last 6-7 trips there, all ended with at least one of us dying. I learned the hard way to watch where I'm running when punching a Ghast to death... Let me just say, losing all the steel we had (in tool form) to a nice 5x5 area of burning Netherrack wasn't fun at all.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I just got a crucible up and running. Also constructed my first ever mob trap and it even yielded some iron. So far it has twelve 3*3 spawn pads with the potential to scale up the base of the trap (the water basin feeding the kill mechanism) to allow sixteen pads on each floor. Current focus is on getting vines harvesting automated so I can get some serious expansion on my trap done.

On a side-note, I restarted somewhere during the 4.65 version.
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

I rushed the tech tree through SFS and now I'm working a bit on automation. I found wheat in an inhabited village, but I will probably go nomad again soon in search of potatoes and carrots.
Padfoote wrote:The one thing we still refuse to do though is try to take over the Nether. Out of our last 6-7 trips there, all ended with at least one of us dying. I learned the hard way to watch where I'm running when punching a Ghast to death... Let me just say, losing all the steel we had (in tool form) to a nice 5x5 area of burning Netherrack wasn't fun at all.
Even with Plate Armor and fire resist potions, I'm also afraid of the Nether still. I need to get some enchantments going, but I don't have a great source of XP yet.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

savagelung wrote:
Padfoote wrote:The one thing we still refuse to do though is try to take over the Nether. Out of our last 6-7 trips there, all ended with at least one of us dying. I learned the hard way to watch where I'm running when punching a Ghast to death... Let me just say, losing all the steel we had (in tool form) to a nice 5x5 area of burning Netherrack wasn't fun at all.
Even with Plate Armor and fire resist potions, I'm also afraid of the Nether still. I need to get some enchantments going, but I don't have a great source of XP yet.
Our issue lies in the fact that I don't wear armor and my friend likes to sprint everywhere without watching. So in the end, he falls of a ledge or charges headfirst into a few Wither skeletons and I end up getting two-shot by a Blaze. Makes for some good times though, I will say that.

Oh, I also forgot; We managed to get a small mob trap built, but without any sort of killing or collection system yet. That's the next project as soon as I can get close enough. So for those who want to put that off for some reason like us, don't. I can't get anywhere near that trap without getting shot by several skeletons.
Holycobra

Post by Holycobra »

Not sure what patch I was on when I started.
Had HC hunger and Iron nuggets, and relearning the BTW delayed me enough I didn't have much of an advantage for being pre 4.66 to matter.

Building my saw location now tech wise.
For food i've only found 2 abandoned villages (didn't build my portal far enough when I tried neather jumping).
I do have a mushroom farm set up and got my chickens to behave (aparenlty they don't like fences). So assuming my mushrooms grow without problems... or monsters, I'm not in a hurry to find a village until later in my tech advancement.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I started my world in 4.62 and i just recently built a windmill... yes i know im very slow... but im coming back from an extremely profitable mining expedition so that may help a lot
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Simurgh

Post by Simurgh »

Restarted in 4.65 - got my base setup and just achieved anvil level tech. Annoyingly I've cleared out 2 nether forts and neither had any nether wart. Healing potions would be nice... Got a safe tunnel set up to those forts and portals set up at them to explore the overworld, I've found 3 occupied villages and my only crop so far is wheat. Carrying those seeds back to base was bloody nerve racking.
BobSlingblade679

Padfoote wrote:
savagelung wrote:
Our issue lies in the fact that I don't wear armor and my friend likes to sprint everywhere without watching. So in the end, he falls of a ledge or charges headfirst into a few Wither skeletons and I end up getting two-shot by a Blaze. Makes for some good times though, I will say that.

Oh, I also forgot; We managed to get a small mob trap built, but without any sort of killing or collection system yet. That's the next project as soon as I can get close enough. So for those who want to put that off for some reason like us, don't. I can't get anywhere near that trap without getting shot by several skeletons.
Sunlight? You'll still have to handle the creepers, which may be difficult but you could just put in a hopper and check underneath for the drops and ignore the creepers till you get a saw.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I basically only have time to play for a few hours on the weekends, and I'm basically on my 4th time starting over from scratch again, but I'm getting better each time. Last time I made it to having a diamond pick and sword, a few chickens, a mushroom farm, pumpkin farm and hemp farm, and I was about to trek back to spawn to start building a road, when two zombies busted down a door and dropped directly on top of me and killed me before I had time to switch to my sword.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Have a good bit of time here and there so in the last month got dragon down and on second beacon.

Have several separate automation modules that I need to combine. Overworld mob farm done, aswell as makeshift enderman grinder. Need silverfish and nether grinders. Have wheat and potatoes but carrots remain elusive after many travels. The villagers are being a pain with trades so better enchantments for SFS have been slow.

Enjoyed the heck out of an infinity, power 3 composite bow recently, aswell as picking on wither skeletons with my smite V battle axe ;)

Great time with my full hardcore run so far.
johnt

Post by johnt »

What's the best low-tech mob farm design?
Gen

Post by Gen »

Bare in mind this world was started around a few weeks ago fresh at 4.62 and has only fairly recently updated to 4.66c:
Spoiler
Show

Hemp Farm
Chicken Farm
House
Wall
Windmill
Elevator down to Caverns

So not too good. On the otherhand I've been harvesting/planting forests, got a fairly infinite supply of food from chickens.

As for what I'm working towards? Well, I ain't found no villiages with a fair bit of exploring so I've basically given up on that score until I get to the nether proper. I've got to set up a caldron and tannery, but for that I'm going to need to expand the chicken farm for meat or go on some more hunting rampages.

On the otherhand I might just go back to my much longer played world and work on my automatic soul urn factory so I can have a Ghast war in the jungle ¬.¬
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

johnt wrote:What's the best low-tech mob farm design?
Using the spoiler features of one of the newest updates (which I won't name outside a spoiler thread) and a water channel that feeds to a small killing room for you to punch them to death.
BobSlingblade679 wrote:Sunlight? You'll still have to handle the creepers, which may be difficult but you could just put in a hopper and check underneath for the drops and ignore the creepers till you get a saw.
We built the mob trap in the middle of the ocean, so there's no help from the sun there. :)

But we managed to get a killing system with chopping blocks and everything up a few hours ago, so we have finally gotten to the point where mass production is possible.
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Started a brand new world with the release of 4.67 and man have I been finding it tough (in a very very good way!). I honestly never thought I would enjoy hardcore spawning but it has me thinking in a whole new way about the game and how I should go about expanding my empire (currently read as hidey hole!). I managed to get myself an iron sword and pick after maybe an hour (probably more with my starving a couple of times very early on). I'm still nomading (love the newly coined term btw) for food although I have an empty room set up in the hopes of farming some mushrooms.

I haven't played since before hardcore walking either and I have to say, it is a really great addition. I have never placed so many stairs before! I have also accepted that I must build with cobble early on despite how much I hate the sight of the stuff. I can't be wasting my limited supply of coal on aesthetics at this stage. I just went out on a boat journey in the hopes of travelling far enough to get some wheat and other crops. I used to just set up in one spot and never go anywhere else, other than to find cows/wolves a couple of times. The way it works now, I am forced to have adventures again.

The new 'Hardcore BTW' play-style is nothing like I have ever experienced before within the game. So refreshing. Major props to FC.
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
BobSlingblade679

Padfoote wrote:
johnt wrote:What's the best low-tech mob farm design?
Using the spoiler features of one of the newest updates (which I won't name outside a spoiler thread) and a water channel that feeds to a small killing room for you to punch them to death.
BobSlingblade679 wrote:Sunlight? You'll still have to handle the creepers, which may be difficult but you could just put in a hopper and check underneath for the drops and ignore the creepers till you get a saw.
We built the mob trap in the middle of the ocean, so there's no help from the sun there. :)

But we managed to get a killing system with chopping blocks and everything up a few hours ago, so we have finally gotten to the point where mass production is possible.
If you're under the ocean it seems to me you coulda just drowned them. Its slower than a saw but you work with what you've got.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

BobSlingblade679 wrote: If you're under the ocean it seems to me you coulda just drowned them. Its slower than a saw but you work with what you've got.
Very true. Never thought of that option honestly. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to do that next time; it sounds like a fun challenge.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

One easy Early mobfarm killing technique is to use fall damage.

excluding endermen, which I believe shouldn't be spawning in the mobfarm, and spiders, which can climb walls, all the other mobs will fit into a 1x1x23 chute to die at the bottom. Add a hopper and voila. Mobfarm
Dale

Post by Dale »

After a long hiatus I have started anew. Coming back to many more hardcore additions I was quite startled the first time I got hungry, smelted iron, and made a torch. I had the attitude of "ZOMG Flower finally crossed teh lien!" Then after playing a bit and adjusting my play style I was actually happy seeing wheat, I then frantically closed off the villagers quarters and lit the area as fast as possible. I have a cacti wall around it. I am happy thus far. Just wish I could see more anarchy servers up. I like risk.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I've got to an iron sword and hoe on my nomadic wanderings before falling foul of a creeper and respawning about 50 blocks from the actual spawn- in one of my old bases.
Quick top up of food (I'm leaving the massive stock of iron ect until I have a grinder- only seems fair) and then off out to some non-broken terrain.
Right now I've scrounged enough iron for a cauldron, and trapped a chicken. Hopefully I can farm enough hemp for a windmill and track down a non-abandoned village.

(beta ~1.4 world with complex mod history, the terrain around spawn is fully broken and randomly freezing over.)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there