Peaceful BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

Peaceful BTW

Post by Gilberreke »

It was in my opinion a design mistake for Notch to include items you cannot get on peaceful. BTW already provides a few blocks to remedy this (wool into string, glue as a slime alternate).

There's as far as I know a few other items left that could use an alternate item and/or recipe: bones, TNT and brown dye.

My suggestion for brown dye is obvious, allow dung to be used to color wool (can it already? I know there was talk about it)

For TNT, I'd suggest a different kind of explosive recipe, that yields the same TNT block (the name is not important, as making TNT from gunpowder is equally impossible). If the next age brings steam power, I think a compressed canister might be the solution.

As for bones, they are only useful to tame wolves and make bonemeal. As we already have a fertilizer alternative, we could still use a whitening agent and an alternate way to tame wolves. One possible suggestion is making untamed wolves eat porkchops too, which is the same as using 1 bone. No clue on the whitening agent though.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Re: Peaceful BTW

Post by Stormweaver »

I believe the peaceful pack mod is compatible with BTW you know.

Though in my opinion it was a design mistake for notch to include a 'peaceful' setting on a survival game.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:I believe the peaceful pack mod is compatible with BTW you know.
I know, I was installing it earlier :). That still doesn't mean that BTW couldn't provide them, I don't really like Peaceful Pack's design and BTW already provides a few of the options in the pack.
Stormweaver wrote:Though in my opinion it was a design mistake for notch to include a 'peaceful' setting on a survival game.
I play on peaceful more than otherwise. I don't care much for the survival aspect really :)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Currently the only way to get brown dye by getting cocoa from dungeon chests, which you can still find and loot on peaceful (well not quite as easy to find), brown wool you can still get from sheep regardless of difficulty level though.

Bones are also required in the construction of a cauldron.

Bones are easy enough to get though, just switch to easy for the night while you mine or craft, or just wait a bit before going to sleep, then put it back to peaceful in the morning and go and find skeletons' skeletons.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Stormweaver wrote:Though in my opinion it was a design mistake for notch to include a 'peaceful' setting on a survival game.
In my opinion, it was a mistake for notch to include monsters in a sandbox building game ;)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

gftweek wrote:Bones are easy enough to get though, just switch to easy for the night while you mine or craft, or just wait a bit before going to sleep, then put it back to peaceful in the morning and go and find skeletons' skeletons.
Yeah, putting it on easy now and again is not really the same as playing peaceful, is it? ;)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Well you did say you play on peaceful most of the time, and not all of it, but yes for someone who prefers full peaceful, it's not the same.

I think as mentioned though, it's probably not with the style of this mod since it does rely on mobs for some aspects.

I still think it's odd that wolves can become angry and kill you on peaceful if you accidentally hit one with a bone instead of feeding it with it.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

(Haven't read the entire post, sorry)
When there was a conversation about the Enderman, I found a link, where Notch said, he wants to make them scarry, but not !frustrateing!
This varies by person (that whhat is frustrateing). For example, when I'm mineing, I alwys play on peaceful. If I play on (max Easy), and I hear a zombies 'EAaaaagh', in the next millisecond, my left hand in the 'Esc' button, my right hand clicking to Options -> Peaceful. I hate the monsters, the do frustrate me, I can't help it.
I need a mod wich takes out the monsters, and adds wild animals (not the Mo' Creatures), like aggressive wolves, bears, mountain lion, wich appear in the night and attack. Something of a more 'real life' danger, wich a caveman faced. Do any of you know such mod? >.>
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

'If you want to teach something, you shall be the liveing example of it.'
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

It's called "Survival Single Player" for a reason. Minecraft's survival mode was designed from word go to take the sandbox and put in a reason for you to want to build "Shelter" to horde all of your things in. With out this desire or need to run from monsters at night, or do like some of us do and armor up and go looking for a fight at night, what point is there really to build an epic base? I might switch between peaceful and normal on occasion, but only to work on a large build project I don't really want interfered with. But then again isn't that the true fun of it?

"I need to build an epic base to defend all of my things from the baddies!"

I mean, how many "sandbox" games do something like this? I agree with who ever stated that it was a mistake to include a peaceful setting. If you want that freedom to create un-hindered, you might want to play creative mode.

-DR
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Urian

Post by Urian »

Build a mob farm and have the area surrounding your base lit up. I haven't played on peaceful since I completed some of my initial aesthetic buildings with lava but haven't seen any hostile mobs outside of the Nether. My mob farm means I've got several chests full of gunpowder, bones etc.

You can already use dung to make brown wool, it's been in since the first update after dung was introduced.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

But any idea if there's a mod that changes monsters to wild animals? >.>
I want to have a reason to play in easy/normal/hard, but now, for me, the monsters are a reason to not play on those modes, as I said, I can't help it...
'Who want's to do, will always find a solution. Who Doesn't want to do, will always find an excuse.'

Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

CheGiuAn wrote:But any idea if there's a mod that changes monsters to wild animals? >.>
I want to have a reason to play in easy/normal/hard, but now, for me, the monsters are a reason to not play on those modes, as I said, I can't help it...
Not that I know of mate, sorry, :(
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Well, if I meet some wolves, I smack one in the head, then kill the whole pack, but they're not basically agressive :(
and with Mo' Creatures, the monsters still remain...

Battosay

Post by Battosay »

With 1.8 you'll have the Creative mod, that's what you need since the Survival aspect is not something you like.

As for me, I can't play in peacefull, too easy, too boring.

Agreed :)
echo off

Post by echo off »

i need a mixed challenge. i kind of like that i have to put torches all around my base to prevent monsters spawning randomly nearby. but at the same time, i'd definitely rather not have to do that, and instead be able to go hunting boar, instead of just pig, and maybe come across a bear, which would feed me for a month. but then wait, i don't need food if nothing is hurting me. unless, notch mentioned permadeath and hunger... but surely we need more than just pigs and wheat if that's the case...

godamn... i swear, waiting for this 1.8 update is worse than waiting for counter-strike to turn into condition-zero. lets hope things don't turn out as badly as that did.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

echo off wrote:i need a mixed challenge. i kind of like that i have to put torches all around my base to prevent monsters spawning randomly nearby. but at the same time, i'd definitely rather not have to do that, and instead be able to go hunting boar, instead of just pig, and maybe come across a bear, which would feed me for a month. but then wait, i don't need food if nothing is hurting me. unless, notch mentioned permadeath and hunger... but surely we need more than just pigs and wheat if that's the case...

godamn... i swear, waiting for this 1.8 update is worse than waiting for counter-strike to turn into condition-zero. lets hope things don't turn out as badly as that did.

Ha boar and bear, sounds to me like you need to play with Mo' Creatures.
CheGiuAn

Post by CheGiuAn »

Deepsniper wrote: Ha boar and bear, sounds to me like you need to play with Mo' Creatures.
Useing Mo' Creatures doesn't stop the monsters from spawning, so you can't have that 'Caveman' feeling, who needs to defend himself from animals (that would be a lot more fun, than monsters, cuz not all the people like zombies, but wild animals seems quite realistic & dangerous), and find food, and evolve from the age of wood to a point where he cam produce steel tools.
Hopefully, 1.8 will have hunger involved, and if the animals will be tameable & breedable, I hope that new wild animals will be added >.>

echo off

Post by echo off »

i don't want them cause they're pretty... i want them cause they're real and functional. and does mo's creatures give extra drops? maybe i do need to play it, but everytime i've looked into it, i never got the feeling that it added resources to the game... just cute creatures. do mo's creatures drop like bones and meat and leather? i really don't know :S

=============

and che, exactly... but then that's a whole other point and it's kind of not better than wolves related, unfortunately, so i shy away from it. it's a different game if you begin removing base elements like zombies and creepers. hopefully notch has this in mind, and there are signs to give us hope. but i honestly get the feeling that notch is without a bigger picture. the minecraft is in some ways still linear... resources are limited, and objectives minimized. hell, it almost might as well be a lego game, except for the 30 npcs it can load at once. i suppose at least that's more lego characters than i could make in my mind when i was nine. but hell, my lego had curves, and a hell of a lot more textures. sand and gravel and water? that's not even a dice game. so monsters is all you've got? hell at least lego blocks can natively connect together in three dimensions... oh, shit.. sorry... /end rant

edit: i do want to add... monsters are a ''dungeons & dragons' element, but less than half as developed, and less than a quarter as rewarding. screw that, replace that figures with 1/4th and 1/16th. minecraft monsters are horribly unimaginative, except for the creeper, who really is just a reflection of the game itself. asif not create the creeper. you'd have the be working for capcom to mess that up. and yet animals don't burn at night, and creepers and spiders don't burn during the day. it's almost like someone kinda started trying, but then got sidetracked with the rest of some massive project. or maybe i'm expecting too much
Last edited by echo off on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

echo off wrote:i don't want them cause they're pretty... i want them cause they're real and functional. and does mo's creatures give extra drops? maybe i do need to play it, but everytime i've looked into it, i never got the feeling that it added resources to the game... just cute creatures. do mo's creatures drop like bones and meat and leather? i really don't know :S

-SNIP-
Mo' Creatures adds new and stronger creatures to the game which is fun ebcasue steel isnt an instakill on some of the creatures. But no they still drop the normal drops for the most case, there are a few new ones mainly pertaining to the sea creatures try it out and if you dont like it delete the folders.
echo off

Post by echo off »

hmmm... maybe if 5 monsters rushed me at once it would matter than they take more than two hits to kill... but only spiders can really attack with any speed. anything else is easily pushed back or dodged, even creepers, unless you're in a mineshaft or tunnel, which means that you should have an escape path. enemies taking more hits isn't the issue. i beat creepers with my fists when i have to... enemy intelligence is an issue if you want a fighting game or a survival game. that or enemy style. which is why endermen seem pretty cool... the whole 'they don't notice till you look right at them, then they charge the second you look away' is a very cool game mechanic. now imagine an owl that does that, but you don't have to look straight at it... just get within 16 blocks... but it hoots loudly... so you know when there's one around. wolves howl, btw. in fact, wolves are pretty much the toughest fighters pound for pound in the entire animal kingdom. that's the real sadness behind minecraft wolves. a real wolf would rip a creepers face off and shit down it's neck... mmm, tanned gunpowder!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think that people should be allowed to play as they wish. I personally always choose to play on normal or hard, and absolutely never set my difficulty bellow that as a personal rule, but I certainly wouldn't deprive anyone else of the play-experience that they prefer.

However, having said that, I just wanted to give a head's up that I'm axing grinding wool to get string. On a recent play-through I realized that it completely fucked the vanilla early-game progression as it can give you a bow insanely quick without having to hunt spiders for it (and didn't make much sense either in that I don't think wool would ever make an effective bow-string). Given that string is insanely abundant later game once you get a mob-trap, and given that you don't need a bow if you're playing on peaceful, this feature was serving little to no purpose anyways other than in messing up the vanilla game-progression.

So yeah, as of the next release, no more string from wool guys.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Maybe the next age would be a good place to add blocks that could let people play only on peaceful, if at all. Nothing in particular, but things like looms and mixers could create string, bones, and gunpowder.

Heheh... Who's for doggie treats made from sawdust and wolf-chops?
Urian

Post by Urian »

What about making it possible to use hemp fibers to make bows, that way people on peaceful could still get normal dispensers but it wouldn't be too early on?
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Urian wrote:What about making it possible to use hemp fibers to make bows, that way people on peaceful could still get normal dispensers but it wouldn't be too early on?
Yeah, exactly. The thought that wool to string is OP occurred to me too actually. I'd really love to see some balanced BTW peaceful additions.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

CheGiuAn wrote:But any idea if there's a mod that changes monsters to wild animals? >.>
Zombe's modpack includes "spawn" where you can customise which of the monsters spawn, how often they spawn and where, so people with arachnophobia can turn spiders off entirely, or you can just limit creepers to spawning on grass and not in caves.

Then you can play the game on easy or above to let the Mo'Creatures hostile mobs spawn, without the vMC monsters.