Nostalgia Critic - The Cat in The Hat Review

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Nostalgia Critic - The Cat in The Hat Review

Post by jorgebonafe »

A particular part of this review reminded me of some discussions about game development in this forum... Basically the nostalgia critic is wondering about the adding of adult humor and pop culture references in a Doctor Seuss movie to make the movie more profitable, although they clearly detract from the quality of the movie... Some "analysts" respond that from pools and research they came to the conclusion those are the things the viewers want to see. The Critic ends up asking them if they considered that the public don't know what's best for them, and by continuously making crappy movies the public won't know the difference between a good and a bad movie and keep asking for the same crap.

So, yeah... That immediately reminded me about FC's personal game design beliefs.... Its interesting to see that they aren't really restricted only to games...

The scene in question on the video is from about 11:30 to 13:34

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... in-the-hat
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
wizardglick

Re: Nostalgia Critic - The Cat in The Hat Review

Post by wizardglick »

That guy actually has some pretty profound things to say about movies, when he's tired of screaming into the camera.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That was actually not a bad way to spend a half hour.
Better is the enemy of Good
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

for some odd reason, I feel like I've heard something like this before... (concerning movies that is) but I can't remember where I heard it.

Also, here is some basic logic:

player(or movie goer or consumer etc.) = human

human =/= always right

therefore

player(or etc.) =/= always right

so I don't know why people think that the player or consumer of any sort is always right when it comes to what they want. I guess it's more of a delicate balance kind of thing. You can't always let the consumer dictate what you put out, as it result in what's wrong with vMC. But you can't dictate every little aspect about the consumer or you get problems akin to that of communism.

.....bleh, I think I'm getting off on a weird tangent, and if I keep talking I'm probably gonna end up speaking out of my butt and making myself look stupid.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

Over the years I've settled on the philosophy that people are stupid. This isn't to say that some arbitrary person (that means you) is stupid, just that people (note the plurality) are stupid. Our society has settled on the idea that greatness is in passion, powerful smack you in the face passion, and that an expression simply needs to seem to be powerful to be good. However, we've neglected the later conjunct of art and expression, the thoughtfulness and true power in what we do. I like to call this rational nihilism, we take joy in the empirical "explosions" of life but do not rationalize them; we attempt to ignore the fact that this even happens.

Sorry, I got a bit of topic in pseudo-philosophy, but seriously turning cat in the hat into some algorithmic "comedy" seems like blasphemy to me.

EDIT: It's things like this that make me feel like an 80 year old man, despite being younger than a lot of people on these forums. I've caught myself basically saying "when I was a kid things were ..." or "I remember when this ..." about things that happened almost 20 years before my birth. This video gave me several of those moments where my brain rejects the fact that my youth is taking place right now and ops to pick up past experiences instead, making me feel really old.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Xeo wrote:snip
Hehe... To quote what FC said to me one of these days:
FlowerChild wrote:And so it begins. T minus twenty years to "you damn kids get off my lawn!" :)
Yeah, I feel like that sometimes too... But it seems the world is changing so fast lately, I'm sure a lot of people will have this kind of feeling pretty often, more and more. Not saying its a bad thing, though... It gives us things to talk about... "I remember when things were different......"

Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.