Hardcore Survival Island

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaveYanakov

Hardcore Survival Island

Post by DaveYanakov »

So I was going to contribute to the concrete art thread and was starting a new world to do so when I found this beauty.
Spoiler
Show
You get one tree within reach. If you want more you better have enough food for the climb up to the cloud layer or for a swim of a few hundred meters and back. Happily this means you aren't totally screwed if that one tree fails to drop a sapling. Lots of elevated water for your industrial requirements and all the zombies in the world thanks to a somewhat hidden surface spawner. The best part? You spawn underwater so you literally wash up on the shore of the island.

I look forward to seeing what people can do with this one. I'm even reconsidering switching my Let's Play over to it.

Seed: -536501500
aka JUNGLE!
Better is the enemy of Good
Mud

Re: Hardcore Survival Island

Post by Mud »

X-treme Hills Islands are always fun. Great find, I will have to try this with the next release assuming the seed works in 1.5 (:edit: it does)

If you do start a let's play for it, do post a link!
Last edited by Mud on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ion

Post by ion »

depending on the map you don't always spawn underwater. for me i spawned on the hill.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm a little scared to try this now. On our current server map we are on a relatively small continent and in all direction for several days sailing (and even several days nether travel) there is nothing but ocean. I read on the wiki that oceans can be up to 100,000 blocks across and am starting to despair a little of ever finding carrots.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's only in the middle of the ocean if you keep to that idea. There's actually quite a lot of mainland not very far to the north if you feel the need to break the chains, which you probably should once you hit the village seeking phase since you'll never get wolves otherwise.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I'm a little scared to try this now. On our current server map we are on a relatively small continent and in all direction for several days sailing (and even several days nether travel) there is nothing but ocean. I read on the wiki that oceans can be up to 100,000 blocks across and am starting to despair a little of ever finding carrots.
Same as with the abandoned villages man: use the Nether.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Same as with the abandoned villages man: use the Nether.
We have tried that. Even after walking for a couple hours in the nether though we only come up to more ocean, it's rather insane. I mean I'm sure we could find them eventually. It's just frustrating. But now I'm really off topic.
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

FlowerChild wrote:
Same as with the abandoned villages man: use the Nether.
My word... why have I never thought of that?! Genius!
Mud

Post by Mud »

NotEvenOdd wrote: My word... why have I never thought of that?! Genius!
It's a fairly common practice that will change your world.

I especially like the above in relation to survival islands that are stranded in the middle of a large ocean biome. It makes "unlocking" the nether a much larger milestone as it opens the door to the rest of the world to you.
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

Mud wrote:
NotEvenOdd wrote: My word... why have I never thought of that?! Genius!
It's a fairly common practice that will change your world.

I especially like the above in relation to survival islands that are stranded in the middle of a large ocean biome. It makes "unlocking" the nether a much larger milestone as it opens the door to the rest of the world to you.
Oh I've known for a long time that walking 8 blocks in the over world was the equivalent of walking 1 block in the nether but it just never occurred to me in game. All this time I've been walking for days on end, camping every night, with a diamond pickaxe in my hand...
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

This map is freaking crazy. I made the mistake of trying my first post hch new play on it because Robinson cruseauing it is on my RL bucket list.

After a few hours play I've abandoned that as I'm just not knowledgable about early game surviving yet. But this seed is my new great white whale, which I will come back to someday.

Passing comment, a block of dirt saved my life when I used it to trap the zombies inside. Love the fact that I don't have the ability to run in without a plan and just rip out the spawner Willie nillie.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...