Desert Temple Loot

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
enzyme_a113_2

Desert Temple Loot

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

In my world today, I found a desert temple. Naturally, I mined down into the treasure room, where I found some rotten flesh, several bones, some iron and gold ingots, and 3 diamonds. I am currently in the nomadic phase (this is my second day since respawning) and I have already found enough resources to make me a nether portal (using the temple's obsidian). Has anyone else experienced this?
savagelung

Re: Desert Temple Loot

Post by savagelung »

Yup -- in my first 4.65 world, I found 5 diamonds in a desert temple 200 blocks from my spawn point. They were just enough for a diamond pickaxe and an enchanting table.
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

A tad OP, considering that desert temples are so easy to find.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Every time someone uses "OP" instead of "overpowered", as if they know what they're talking about, a kitten gets sodomized...and then gets its wings.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Cat's with wings...
Almost worth it...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PatriotBob wrote:Cat's with wings...
Almost worth it...
Almost :)
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

I definitely didn't see it as overpowered. Even with the iron changes, I can usually get enough iron for a sword, pickaxe and hoe by the end of the second night. With an iron pickaxe, it is not hard to branch mine and find a measly 3 diamonds.

Usually I can get to the nether by the third day. The hard part isn't getting to the Nether, it's overcoming a Nether Fortress. Even in full leather armor, you can hardly muster a defense against Wither Skeletons. Add to that the naturally spawning blazes, and you'll find that it's very hard to safely acquire blaze rods and netherwart without iron armor and a lot of caution. A handful of diamonds from a Desert Temple won't help you much with the iron changes.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

FlowerChild wrote:Every time someone uses "OP" instead of "overpowered", as if they know what they're talking about, a kitten gets sodomized...and then gets its wings.
wow FC, if that's the case, then you really should stay away from the League of Legends forums. Cuz if you go there, millions of kittens shall attain wings.

but more on topic, I don't think finding diamonds in a nearby pyramid is by any means overpowered (can't tell you how much I wanted to use the abbreviation) anymore so than finding redstone and iron in a jungle temple. Albeit pyramids are much easier to find due to the biome type, it's really not that big of a deal.

It's kinda like spawning right next to a touch stone or pig village in Don't Starve. Doesn't always happen, but it sure is nice when it does.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

CycloneSP wrote: It's kinda like spawning right next to a touch stone or pig village in Don't Starve. Doesn't always happen, but it sure is nice when it does.
savagelung wrote:The hard part isn't getting to the Nether, it's overcoming a Nether Fortress.
That actually is quite a good point. I can now rest easy at night.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Bullshit, you can't rest at night.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Here's the way I see early diamond picks. You get into the nether without the cobble stacks you gather while branch mining and start running into trouble early. If you started the nomad phase early you have no use for blaze rods and likely don't even have a cauldron yet. You are far better off using those diamonds for a hoe and settling down with some chickens.
Better is the enemy of Good
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

What would be the point of finding a desert temple and risking death by esplosion if there's no loot in the basement?

They're an incentive to exploration. They don't give anything that allows you to skip part of the tech tree. If there were seeds or carrots or potatoes in the chests, I could see a problem. However, even as useful as iron and diamonds are, tools are temporary. You'll still have to mine later before your tools wear out.
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:What would be the point of finding a desert temple and risking death by esplosion if there's no loot in the basement?
Grabbing the powder kegs and saving them for a rainy day?
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

That's loot, too, I guess. I admit, I do use the stuff to help level mountains out a bit as I expand my village.

However, I don't think that would be enough to make me excited about finding one and it wouldn't make much sense for there to be a trap that is guarding nothing.
wizardglick

Post by wizardglick »

You are far better off using those diamonds for a hoe and settling down with some chickens.
I just found one of those temples. Didn't have any diamonds, but I made my hoe from some of the gold I found there. Considering the modest size of my current hemp and pumpkin farm, it seemed like a good use of the ore.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Either way, FC is well aware of the issue and has plans. The game isn't done yet.
Better is the enemy of Good
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

Personally, I don't think finding rare treasure in a rare place is overpowered. I would hope that coming across a rare archaeological dig site would yield something highly valuable. As was said earlier, finding a couple diamonds early on is not nearly as much a game changer as finding carrots or even any village for that matter. Finding rare treasures is a dynamic in gaming that makes those moments exciting. It's not like finding diamonds is a guarantee. That's what makes it a rare treasure. By that logic, if finding a few diamonds is overpowered, then so are mobs dropping iron armor. It's rare and there is an effort associated with acquiring that treasure. As for temples being "so easy to find," I disagree as I am in a map that has a fairly large desert right next to my primary residence and I haven't found a single desert temple. On the other hand, some maps might have several nearby to one another. It's completely random.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

If you are still a nomad and don't have complete faith in your ability to survive, the risk of losing the diamonds is enough to leave them in the temple for me to go back to later. Without a stable supply of food, an adventure in a nether fort will most certainly end in pain. A diamond sword doesn't make me feel as safe as a warm hidey hole and furnace.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Confector de Caeli

Post by Confector de Caeli »

I don't think desert temple loot is overpowered right now. I could rationalize this with some sort of complicated or semantic-based logic, but basically what it comes down to is that, in the early game, getting a few free diamonds is really not that much better than getting a few free iron or gold ingots, which appear pretty commonly, too. The truth is that you sometimes just get lucky, and those extra high-level resources aren't like seeds that you can plant to create a gradually expanding farm (which is precisely why FlowerChild dealt with the village/wheat issue so swiftly); the tools you make from them will eventually break, and, at the beginning of the game, you don't have enough support structure or resources to really make good use of them. I agree that your best bet would definitely be to get a hoe and start a pumpkin or hemp farm, probably with some chickens on the side, as quickly as possible rather than making a sword or pickaxe, since you likely lack the necessary torches, armor, and stable food supply to actually go mining, caving, or fighting. Besides, if there is one thing with which I trust FlowerChild, it's game balance. He'll resolve things if there's an issue.
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Confector de Caeli wrote:I could rationalize this with some sort of complicated or semantic-based logic
I think you can rationalize it with:

1) It can't be automated
2) It's still slower than mining
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Confector de Caeli

Gilberreke wrote:
Confector de Caeli wrote:I could rationalize this with some sort of complicated or semantic-based logic
I think you can rationalize it with:

1) It can't be automated
2) It's still slower than mining
Yeah... you're definitely right. I probably could have said my points more concisely. I think, in the end, desert temples are just too rare and too impractical to get at to have a significant impact on the game.
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

Confector de Caeli wrote:desert temples are just too rare and too impractical to get at to have a significant impact on the game.
True, but they are still something you are quite likely to find in your nomadic travels.
Confector de Caeli

enzyme_a113_2 wrote:
Confector de Caeli wrote:desert temples are just too rare and too impractical to get at to have a significant impact on the game.
True, but they are still something you are quite likely to find in your nomadic travels.
And I understand that, but what I am saying is merely that, at that stage of the game, one diamond tool will likely not actually affect your play to a great degree because most of its purposes will do you no good without a decent food supply and other things such as armor and a base. Furthermore, the same impact would be achieved by acquiring an iron tool of similar make by being lucky and finding a large iron vein in a near-surface cave.
Spoiler
Show
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I feel like temples are simply a giant treasure chest that can also be used as a shelter for the night while nomading around. They can provide tools, armor, bones for wolves, explosives, and in the jungle temples arrows and some starting redstone machinery. These can be a huge benefit to a nomad wishing to settle down which seems perfectly fine to me.

If you fuck up in the slightest with the desert temple, you lose all the loot and possibly your life. Jungle temples are a pain in the ass to find, and I've found plenty more desert temples. Both are fairly dark (jungle temples more so) and have a habit of spawning creepers.

Basically its still kinda risky to loot them. Not very risky, but for a nomad with half used leather armor, a club, and a couple torches to his name, there is a chance of death.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Why is everyone up in arms about a few free diamonds? As others have pointed out, getting the mid-tier tech still takes as long, regardless of getting an early diamond pick. I do like how people are suggesting using it for a hoe though. Prior to the last couple of updates one would NEVER bother making a diamond hoe.

If you want to talk stupid loot, I would say melon seeds in abandoned mines is just dumb. I'll never understand the game logic behind that. They're also unbelievably annoying to find since you can hit 5 - 10 chests sometimes and never find seeds.

Back to the original post, because of the value placed on iron ingots and gold ingots, I've found that chest loot is really quite balanced. Just enough to make you happy you found it, but not enough to give you a significant advantage. Imagine if hibachis were in temples. Now THAT would be truely tier-jumping loot.