I have a idea for BTW Wiki now

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SCThunder

I have a idea for BTW Wiki now

Post by SCThunder »

Hello everyone,
I am a Minecraft player from Hong Kong.
I love this mod very much!
But I just registered to this forum a few minutes ago.

Well,let me talk about my idea.
As the BTW Wiki used English,but not every chinese player know how to read English.
So I want to have a chinese translation work on this Wiki.
FlowerChild recommended me to come here and ask you guys idea.

Maybe it can work on Google sites(Actually I did some Wiki translation on the site I created)
or work the translation like Minecraft Wiki if it can
(Put a button called "中文" at left hand side and go to the same page in chinese)

Thank you!

p.s. I afraid my English is not correct,don't angry.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: I have a idea for BTW Wiki now

Post by FlowerChild »

Yes, Thunder PMed me earlier today asking about the possibility of working on a Chinese translation of the BTW Wiki.

Given I am a total wiki noob, and have no idea how these things work, I recommended he stop by here to ask for advice from the more knowledgeable amongst you guys :)
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

I'm not an expert at adding languages to wikis, but I think I got a functioning system for it by copying from mediawiki. All you have to do is add {{Languages}} to the bottom of the english page and make a new page with "/zh-tw" IE "http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... Page/zh-tw" . I apologize if I got the language code wrong as I don't know Chinese characters.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheGuy wrote:I'm not an expert at adding languages to wikis, but I think I got a functioning system for it by copying from mediawiki. All you have to do is add {{Languages}} to the bottom of the english page and make a new page with "/zh-tw" IE "http://www.sargunster.com/btw/index.php ... Page/zh-tw" . I apologize if I got the language code wrong as I don't know Chinese characters.
This may work but this isn't how the Minecraft wiki (or wikipedia do it) and it could cause a lot of issues (like chinese pages showing up on the english recent changes). I'd encourage we sort how how to do it properly before we just make other language subpages. I'll help try to figure it out if someone doesn't show up who knows how to do it.

Yeah, I think sargunster (or whomever would make this change) would need to take a look here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_MediaWiki
SCThunder

Post by SCThunder »

So,is everyone will accept me to do this translation work?
If yes,I may bring your reflection(permission) to my chinese forum.And it may attract some guys who know how to make some relevant changes to help us.

Yeah,if I didn't get your permission,my post will be banned.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

SCThunder wrote:So,is everyone will accept me to do this translation work?
If yes,I may bring your reflection(permission) to my chinese forum.And it may attract some guys who know how to make some relevant changes to help us.

Yeah,if I didn't get your permission,my post will be banned.
I imagine someone like yourself willing to do this would be very helpful to a lot of players. I'm sure if the person with the appropriate skills and authority on the wiki comes around, something can be set up which should allow easy enough creation of translated pages. I've PM'd Sargunster to see if he could check out this thread, he may have already considered multi-language work for the wiki already.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SCThunder wrote:So,is everyone will accept me to do this translation work?
I sincerely doubt anyone here will object man. I think we're all just trying to figure out how to help you pull it off :)
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I have no problems with a multi-lingual wiki. If you need any specific plugin(s) installed on MediaWiki, PM me and I'll install it.
SCThunder

Post by SCThunder »

Very good!I think I can put a post about my plan in chinese forum with your positive reflection.
Last edited by SCThunder on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I understand that english isn't your first language man, and you're trying to be helpful, but asking about updates is against the forum rules, so please don't do that.
SCThunder

Post by SCThunder »

FlowerChild wrote:I understand that english isn't your first language man, and you're trying to be helpful, but asking about updates is against the forum rules, so please don't do that.
sorry,sorry,sorry.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

If you want more languages, I volunteer for the spanish translation.
The_BrickLayer

Post by The_BrickLayer »

So do I for a french one.
EtherealWrath said:
Spoiler
Show
Making a new vMC feature self defeating/obsolete in the same update seems to happen a fair bit lately ... well I guess it got dinnerbone'd.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

and me for the portuguese one
SCThunder

Post by SCThunder »

Then,how can we do the translation work?
Is sargunster know how to make this function?Or I should still asking for help from my chinese forum?
A1Mike_W

Post by A1Mike_W »

I'm willing to help with the Polish version, once we know how to get this to work :)
Williamson

Post by Williamson »

I can help out with the french one, it'll be a nice change of pace from work
The_BrickLayer

Post by The_BrickLayer »

Hi all,
since this topic didn't result in any change for the wiki, i'm taking the liberty to bring it back up in order to reach the goal that a few members gave themselve to translate the wiki in their native language. I know it's a bit of a necro, but i think this lack of organized database (and mono-linguistic) can discourage some new non-English-speaking players. Also, with FlowerChild wrapping up the mod, it appears to be a pretty good time to do so.
Moreover, i really wish to introduce Better Than Wolves to the french community, which haven't really heard of it. That's why a well organized and multi-language based wiki is quite an asset.
The thing is, I don't know a thing about wikis, and that's why, today, i'm asking to any generous soul that owns that precious knowledge to share it with us in order to achieve our goal :D
EtherealWrath said:
Spoiler
Show
Making a new vMC feature self defeating/obsolete in the same update seems to happen a fair bit lately ... well I guess it got dinnerbone'd.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

The english wiki needs some help too, right now 90% of the editing is being done by 1 or 2 people and as such it's falling behind (don't get me wrong though, those people are doing really good work, especially TheGuy). I'd do some myself but I'm like 50 versions behind right now >.<
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

I think we need 1 updated wiki more than 20 outdated ones. Take it or not but i'd advise against duplicating the wiki (or wiki pages).
The_BrickLayer

Post by The_BrickLayer »

thekyz wrote:I think we need 1 updated wiki more than 20 outdated ones. Take it or not but i'd advise against duplicating the wiki (or wiki pages).
I agree that we do have to update the english one in the first place. The thing is that my English isn't good enough to help writing for it, and to translate such a huge amout of content, it takes time. So why not begin now.
Plus it wouldn't be duplicating as much as a straight forward translation of the English wiki. What's wrong with that if the several translations don't get mixed up?
EtherealWrath said:
Spoiler
Show