Ocarina of time mod

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Racooknight

Ocarina of time mod

Post by Racooknight »

This little guy is a cute, moderately unbalancing mod, as at the moment it allows for removing rain, changing night to day, and healing. These powers are obtained through using your movement keys in a new GUI that actually plays the ocarina when you hit the keys. There's only five notes, but hey, *ocarina* ! It only lacks several notes for playing the lost woods song !

Also, the ocarina itself is made from clay, then has to be cooked in the furnace. Isn't that a sign of good will towards BTW ? Well, actually the modder stopped modloader support at soon as 1.5.1. The link is for the 1.4.7 version; there's a .txt explaining how to install the new sound effects. (not that hard, but not by mcpatcher)

Here's the MCF thread for the recipes of the song sheets you have to craft before playing anything. Also, an ocarina can be made from either carrots or potatoes ;o

Here's a video review.

Somehow, this mod seems to be compatible with BTW. Enjoy playing the ocarina on 1.4.7 ?!
DaveYanakov

Re: Ocarina of time mod

Post by DaveYanakov »

Doesn't seem like a lot of thought went into balancing on the recipes. It seems the author was simply going for things that look right rather than balancing based on value, probably because there is nothing that is difficult to get in vMC. That's a lot of gold and food to put into a portable milk bucket and potion.

Being able to copy those songs for free doesn't help the case either. If the copy method was ditched so that it leaned more toward a cost of 14 iron nuggets and 2 lapis every time you wanted to turn the rain on or off, I could see myself supporting it
Better is the enemy of Good
Racooknight

Re: Ocarina of time mod

Post by Racooknight »

Indeed. He also certainly didn't have BTW in mind when balancing the recipes.

I just love the idea of somehow using music in minecraft; in any game, in fact. There's so much visual and so few music in videogames nowadays :(