Request for 4.65 Let's Play action

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Request for 4.65 Let's Play action

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok guys, as I mentioned in the balance thread, I've been making some rather substantial changes to how the game plays since the last release.

I don't want to give too much away, but let's just say that it all should have a rather significant impact on play. So much so, that I would absolutely LOVE to be able to see and hear people's first time reactions to it.

So, I have a bit of an unprecedented request. What I would really like is if some of you BTW let's play types could commit to recording an episode where you go into 4.65 completely cold, without looking at any spoilers, playing it before hand, or what have you, with a brand new world, and try to survive.

Seriously guys, it would mean the world to me if I could see this kind of stuff first hand after all the work I've been putting into it, so I hope that you will consider it :)

I will likely be releasing 4.65 later today after I complete a few more items on my todo list.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Request for 4.65 Let's Play action

Post by Sarudak »

By completely cold and no spoilers does that include the changelog? Because I might do this if I can figure out what software I need to record.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Sweet, I'll try this myself for the lets play I wanted to start :)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

I know I'm still kinda new here, but I just upgraded my machine and have been itching to try doing some recording. So if I can get Fraps (or something) running on Linux I'd love to do a Let's Play for both first glimpse at 4.65 and first live recording. Ever.

Do you have a preference as far as SMP/SSP? Or you looking for a nice mix of both?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:By completely cold and no spoilers does that include the changelog? Because I might do this if I can figure out what software I need to record.
Nah, the change log is fine, and probably recommended to read through before playing so that you get the general idea of what to expect.

As always, I am careful to avoid giving away the juicy bits in my change logs so as not to spoil people discovering things for themselves ;)
PatriotBob wrote: Do you have a preference as far as SMP/SSP? Or you looking for a nice mix of both?
Either is fine.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Alright. I'm gonna give this a shot. No promises as regards to my video making skills nor witty commentary. Also I won't be able to start until later in the evening.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Alright. I'm gonna give this a shot. No promises as regards to my video making skills nor witty commentary. Also I won't be able to start until later in the evening.
That's cool as I likely won't be able to release until much later anyways ;)

Also, when this is done doesn't really matter from my perspective. Could be a week from now as long as you're going in fresh and I get to see your initial reactions :)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:Seriously guys, it would mean the world to me if I could see this kind of stuff first hand after all the work I've been putting into it, so I hope that you will consider it :)
Sure. It's the least I can do, man, and I've been toying with doing some videos for a while. Probably be up tomorrow.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
razar51

Post by razar51 »

FlowerChild wrote:
That's cool as I likely won't be able to release until much later anyways ;)

Also, when this is done doesn't really matter from my perspective. Could be a week from now as long as you're going in fresh and I get to see your initial reactions :)
Cool, thinking of starting a lets play with one of my friends sometime within the next week. The plan is to see how difficult it is to survive with an island spawn.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Oooh, I might be down. I just started playing on the official server again, and am currently in a hole in the ground with a nights worth of supplies. I'd be willing to suicide and start over to check it out, with the added bonus that the video would showcase our official co-op server.

EDIT: Just had a thought, though - given the development near spawn in that server I'm not sure that what I'm proposing is really "starting from scratch." So this idea may not be exactly what you're looking for. I'd still like to help out, but given that I'm already in the midst of a "nether rail to middle of nowhere and start tech tree from scratch" thing on my own server and also starting from nothing on the official BTW server, I don't really want to dedicate time to another new world. so.... we'll see what happens.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

You know I'll be doing this. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Awesome stuff guys! Thanks so much for the overwhelmingly positive response. Can't wait to see them :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

razar51 wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Cool, thinking of starting a lets play with one of my friends sometime within the next week. The plan is to see how difficult it is to survive with an island spawn.
Tried that... It was really boring and involved a lot of fishing. Would not recommend it for a let's play.
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

I'll be doing one as well, though it will pale in comparison to Icy's.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Just realized...Mine won't be up till tomorrow midday. Stupid life obligations....
razar51

Post by razar51 »

Sarudak wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
razar51 wrote: Cool, thinking of starting a lets play with one of my friends sometime within the next week. The plan is to see how difficult it is to survive with an island spawn.
Tried that... It was really boring and involved a lot of fishing. Would not recommend it for a let's play.
I always play BTW with an island spawn, except for that one time I lived in a desert next to a river. For some reason I enjoy the limited land mass and abundance of water.
The Let's Play will also serve as my jump from 4.59 to 4.65.

Also, not like I'll show 3 hours of fishing, there will be time lapses, etc if nothing of note is happening.

My enthusiasm has not waned!
Last edited by razar51 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Eh... fuck it, I've decided to do it on the official SMP server despite my concerns. Hopefully it will be somewhat entertaining at the very least.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Oh man, I would love to stream some BTW, but I still don't have reliable internet access. Maybe I'll stream the final release, when it comes out.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Count me in :)

I haven't had the chance to play BTW at all since HCH was released, so my impressions of the recent changes should be pretty pure.

I can do it today or tomorrow most likely, your timing couldn't have been better. My stuff from my old house will be arriving today, including my desktop computer :)
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Aesc

Post by Aesc »

...Challenge accepted.

And it was so warm and safe in my little lurker-hole, too.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Sounds like something very cool and interesting! I have been doing an Better Than Wolves Let's Play, but haven't made any recordings with the latest versions. So I would join the experiment!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Stompinlama

Post by Stompinlama »

Sounds like fun, count me in when the release happens. I haven't had time recently to even touch the recent updates, so mine might be extra fun.
JoshGayou

Post by JoshGayou »

I talked my buddy into doing this with me on our sever. Guess I'll go drop the cash for Bandicam...:)
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

Haven't really had the chance to upgrade from pre-HCH yet, so this should be entertaining. I'll give it a go
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Being an aspiring new recorder I am sooo in! My dad told me when I got home tonight that you were requesting this and my response was something like "excuse me while I go accept that offer!" I have been recording a while and can not wait to give this a shot! :D I am very much looking forward to starting this up. My laptop might kinda suck (10-15fps when recording) but I still can manage! I have been needing a reason to get started with recording again :D So thank you FC for giving me that incentive!
Spoiler
Show
I will probably die a lot in the begging of the series.... I always have had trouble with food early game lol :P
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.